You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Peterpanino,

Your curve is already closed so you will first need to delete the nodes between the two points I have highlighted these nodes in red below. You can then use the  Action section towards the top of the app when you have the Node Tool selected to break and join nodes respectively (see second attachment).

Thanks

C

screenshot.png.6c9dd2934d0b3b5de435eab058d93455.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 16.52.23.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi PeterPanino,

If you want to keep the original drawing while connecting the two points, you must duplicate your drawing and then remove the inner nodes as @Callum indicates. Then group the two shapes together by placing the rectangle underneath.

Enveloppe.png

From what little I know of the .svg format, it would be very difficult, it not impossible to do .svg exports, because an .svg shape with a fill is surrounded by a series of points that start at one node, and end by either connecting back to the first one, of drawing the fill from the 1st to last. With branching networks, one node leading to many others, and those to others, I don't know how the list could be made a continuous series.

So while it is no big deal to draw a bunch of connected lines, I'm thinking writing a routine to turn the network into a group of defined areas might be difficult. I have a recollection of a piece of software I used decades ago that did allow such an operation, but it required the user to follow certain steps. My very vague recollection is that the added shapes had to be made only by clockwise node addition. Eventually, there was a utility routine added to fix user error, but it didn't work 100%.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

2 hours ago, PeterPanino said:

Is this a universal law? I think it would be useful if a node could join more than 2 other nodes.:35_thinking:

If this was possible, how would the beginning & end of the path be determined, for example when applying a fill to a curve? Consider the four examples below. If another node could be added to any of them such that more than two path segments were joined, what would the fill include & exclude?

fills.png.88aa7edf173c75539ebc84a87f529dea.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think I have seen such software mentioned, but indeed there would be some trouble as R C-R points out. There should be all kinds of behaviour rules etc. And I do not think Postscript/PDF would support such paths; they should be translated to ordinary paths in export.

There have been a few discussions about the vector network concept in the Affinity forums, like A new and promising spin to vector drawing: Vector Networks. The concept is explained here, if you are interested. They did not actually get rid of fills but I am not sure how the 'punch out holes' paint bucket thing would work for vector networks with unenclosed areas (the equivalent of open curves in the conventional vector concept).

I considered trying out the Figma software & even downloaded the Mac OS version, but apparently you have to create an account to use it, & from what I can tell even for the free-for-individual-use type account users are required to store their "projects" & files on their servers. I am not willing to do that just to try out the app, nor do I care for the complications cloud-based storage entails, so I do not know how well the app works in the real world.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Many years ago I used Mapmaker for drawing maps, and nodes with 2+ connections were an essential part of the drawing process. I'm pretty sure that you were aso able to fill selected closed areas. 

I now use Affinity Designer for drawing maps and I would certainly find this faciity very useful. I do recognize that the concepts of path and node would have to be different. I am also aware that I can get a similar effect by using boolean operations to align borders.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630