You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setting up a dimetric grid with plane sets

On 9/14/2017 at 12:35 PM, >|< said:

up_spacing =  sin(first_angle) * first_spacing * 2

This formula does seem to solve the alignment of 2 of the 3 planes, but the downside is that the grid isn't uniform anymore, making it impossible to make proportional cubes for example.

I don't know if this is possible but it seems to me that the solution is to shift the plane consisting of the first and up axis and the plane consisting of the second and up axis down or up to align with the plane consisting of the first and second axis.

I would really like to have other grid types be able to have aligned plane sets, just as the isometric grid type does.

• Staff

Try beta 1.7. There is the option to move the grid origin.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

For your type of drawing have you ever taken a look at Hexels?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I've heard of it but never used it. I mainly do design for web applications in Sketch but when I do the occasional landing page design I like being able to do simple isometric-style illustrations and then bring them across into Sketch. Couple of examples attached, would Hexels be a good tool for that sort of thing? I find that when I do standard 1:1 isometric illustration then affinity is great but any other sort of axonometric projection is quite tricky, also slightly missing some sort of tool for setting the lighting/shading would be handy. 

Screenshot 2018-12-31 at 16.14.54.png

Screenshot 2018-12-31 at 16.19.03.png

• Staff
5 hours ago, danw said:

Still seeing the same sort of issues, in the gif below I went to "Grid and Snapping Axis", chose "Dimetric", when drawing a shape it only intersects with the grid lines on max. 2 out of 3 planes. 

Like I said, It is because you need to move the grid origin.  Enable “show axis editing handles”, then you can move the grid origin.  The origin will remain fixed as you change between planes.  To draw a cube, you would place the origin point at the prominent corner of the cube (the corner closest to you, where all three plane intersect).  For anything other than isometric, you will need to reposition the origin to work at different distances through each plane.  This is to be expected for any grid that is not isometric, as the axis proportions are not equal.

this is also only an issue if you also intend to work on grid.  You could just use the planes to define the axis of constraint and snapping.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB