You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Asset/symbol management

• Staff

Hi ROB002,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Regarding Assets: to reorder assets (or move them to another category/subcategory) press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and drag them to where you want them to be. You can also create more categories/subcategories from the small icon menu on the top right of the Assets panel.

Symbols are document specific and as such we don't provide additional management options at this point. Do you usually have/use/manage that much symbols on this panel?

7 minutes ago, MEB said:

to reorder assets  press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and drag them to where you want them to be.

Symbols are document specific and as such we don't provide additional management options.

Do you usually have/use/manage that much symbols on this panel?

Thanks for the reminder that we can reorder Assets using a modifier key - I had forgotten!

As for number of symbols used...

I use AD to prototype boardgames and use Symbols for every repeated element in the game. This allows me to change the icon on every card in a deck of 100+ cards with one action (for example).

It is not uncommon for me to have 30+ symbols in a document, and it would be useful to me to subcategorise them and manage them in the same way I can with assets.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

24 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi ROB002,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Regarding Assets: to reorder assets (or move them to another category/subcategory) press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and drag them to where you want them to be. You can also create more categories/subcategories from the small icon menu on the top right of the Assets panel.

Symbols are document specific and as such we don't provide additional management options at this point. Do you usually have/use/manage that much symbols on this panel?

Thanks a lot man! Im actually pretty new to Affinity, so just trying to find my way around n noticing things that are not really apparent.

Keep up the good work though!

Any idea on the next release date?

• 1 month later...

Hi. :)

+1 for symbol management. When creating game assets, with a lot of repeating elements, this gets tedious. Since I was a user of another big name software before, here is what I usually use/ need.
1. Allow smaller thumbnails for symbols.
2. Allow list view for symbols.
3. Allow to sort symbols by name. This way we can manage the symbols by only using the name prefix.

Cheers. 

• 2 months later...