You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I'm working on a Coordinate Image. In Designer I created several artboards to match my stationery elements, let's say "business cards", "letterhead", logos, mail signature and so on.

The resulting file (let's call it ARTBOARDS.AFDESIGN) is pretty technical and needs a bit of compositing to be presented to the Client.

I decided to create a new file (let's call it PRESENTATION.AFDESIGN), all made of A4 artboards that shares the same backgrounds and my company details, in which I composed the visual presentation for the client, catching elements from ARTBOARDS.AFDESIGN.

I embedded ARTBOARDS.AFDESIGN in PRESENTATION.AFDESIGN.

While working on PRESENTATION, I needed to modify and create some new or ad-hoc artboards or elements in ARTBOARD original file.

Double click, work on it and then close.

Everything's worked fine. 

BUT the original ARTBOARDS.AFDESIGN is not anymore updated, and it is stucked on a version before I embedded it in PRESENTATION.AFDESIGN

It had been forked in twos: one stands still as before embedding, and the other is embedded and "ENCLOSED" in PRESENTATION file.

So, what if I need to re-use the modified ARTBOARDS.AFDESIGN (the updated embedded one) in another file?

I mean that if I need to make another PRESENTATION2-SPECIAL-FOR-CEO and want to use the embedded updated one, how can I do that?

The original ARTBOARDS.AFDESIGN is no more updated (shame on that!!!) and a lot of suff added during PRESENTATION compositing are lacking and it seems there's no way to save the updated ARBOARDS.AFDESIGN out of embedded context.

Am I wrong? Is there something I do not understand about it? Is there something missing on embedded management?

Thank you so much

Until Affinity releases Publisher linked documents won't update. However, and I haven't had a chance to try this, probably creating a Symbol from the embedded document will allow you to reuse the embedded doc without adding too much overhead like multiple embedded docs currently do. But again, I haven't had a chance to try it; if you do, report your findings... !

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17