You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer opacity affects symbol opacity

I have two instances of a symbol in a layer. One of them, I want to make transparent. I assume I can treat one instance as a layer and set its opacity, how would I otherwise apply layer effects to one instance?

However, when I adjust the LAYER opacity on a SYMBOL, all other instances of the symbol also go transparent. Looks like a bug to me, since I am not editing the curve inside the symbol.

opacity.PNG

• Staff

Hi MatthijsR,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is by design. If you want to change the opacity of just one instance, select it in the layers panel, disable/uncheck the Sync button in the Symbols panel, change the opacity of the layer, then enable Sync again to keep syncing other changes you may perform later. If you mouse over the symbol/layer you have just changed (in the Layers panel), you should see a tooltip with the Visibility/Opacity added to the unlinked attributes for that symbol/layer.

Oh wow that's really confusing since I am changing the layer opacity on the instance, not the opacity of the curve inside the symbol container.

Thanks for explaining me how it is intended to work. I now also noticed that I need to watch very closely to re-enable the sync again once I am done or any other symbol I make changes to only changes the instance, the rest wont be changed. Tricky.