You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey, Cglot...

I watched the YouTube video and all of the steps he took can be exactly duplicated in Affinity Photo. The only difference I noticed is that the Color adjustment is called "Recolor" in Affinity Photo. Otherwise, each of the steps can be exactly duplicated. I went ahead and downloaded the images he referenced, and put together a rough approximation of the photo he created. You can see that the layer structure mimics the one in the video.

599481c09529d_ColorDoubleExposure.thumb.jpg.e8d795b72a21b0fd2b3a8fcec9ba59b9.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

OK, here's my best guess by looking at your version of the document and comparing it to the one I created.

I can get my document to look exactly like yours if I do 1 thing differently. In the YouTube video, the fellow clearly says to set the Blend Mode of the group on top (which I have called "Photo Top," as he did) to "Lighten." This is the way I have constructed my layer stack. However, if I let the Photo Top group remain with its default blend mode of "Passthrough" and instead set the blend mode of the photo itself (the one of the woman) to Lighten, I get the same result you did.

Try going back to your document and (i) change the blend mode of the layer with the woman's photo to "Normal" and (ii) set the blend mode of the top Group to "Lighten." You should see more or less the result you're after.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I'm glad this helped!

By the way, when I re-created the original image, I did everything the way the guy in the YouTube video did it. You really don't need the groups at all. If you bring the two photos into a single document, you can create Adjustment Layers for each of the images, and simply make each group of 3 adjustments "children" of the individual photos. Then, you can simply set the blend mode of the top photo to Lighten. It probably amounts to the same thing - to me, it's a more visually appealing way to do it, since the image takes on a higher priority and the adjustments are visually more obviously attached to the individual photos. (See below)

5995c4d82add7_ColoredDoubleExposure-nogroups.thumb.jpg.4e67e6c9f30fe9b2de8e8bb225936f65.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.