You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After many trials I found that by holding down CMD and OPT (Mac) in AD I could resize my selection proportionally, including text which otherwise would be distorted. Today, however, this appears not to be working as it did in the past. I've looked over Preferences but as yet find nothing there that I could have changed. Is it true that CMD/OPT should maintains all proportions while resizing? ... Aha! I've just discovered that it appears the Frame Text does not resize (probably due to the constraints of the box) but that Artistic text does. Thus I will have to redo all of my Frame Text into Artistic Text. 

Related Issue: One of my map docs is 96 DPI in Doc Setup, while earlier work on the same map was 300 DPI (my fault for not discovering this earlier). I thought that I could simply change my earlier doc to 96 DPI, adjust the Doc Setup size to the 312.5% larger size on screen, save it and then be able to copy/paste it into my 96 DPI doc for finer adjustments. However, when I copied/pasted my revision into my 96 DPI doc, it reverted to the 300 DPI larger size on screen. Some basic tips on these issues above would be much appreciated. Thanks!

As far as I know, there has never been an option to use CMD + OPT to resize anything proportionally in Affinity Designer. On a Mac, holding down the CMD key resizes from the center (as indicated in the Status bar), & Option-dragging or CMD-dragging on a selected object (not on its bounding box) drags out a duplicate.

To resize Frame text or a group or Layer containing Frame text, use the extra control handle that appears below & to the right of the selection bounding box.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

By default, objects with a natural aspect ratio (e.g. images) will scale proportionally when you drag on a corner handle, but other objects (e.g. shapes from the toolbar) will not. To override the default behaviour, hold down the Shift key as you drag.

If you prefer the default aspect ratio constraint behaviour to be the same for all objects/layers regardless of their type, go to 'Preferences > Tools' and change the Move Tool Aspect Constrain setting accordingly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Works great, Alfred. I only wish that there were a way to enter a number in the Transform box (with constraints on) and have an exact resizing rather than having to drag the corner node (with OPT down) to get to the desired Transform number. Again, this appears to work but not with Frame Text.

You can't do it in a single operation, Jim, but if the text is all the same size and you resize the text frame by a percentage (with constraints on) you can resize the text by the same percentage to keep everything in proportion.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred:Thanks for the tip.

If you prefer the default aspect ratio constraint behaviour to be the same for all objects/layers regardless of their type, go to 'Preferences > Tools' and change the Move Tool Aspect Constrain setting accordingly

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Well I think i have descovered... there is a button (don't know the name in english... and that fix the cornes. :) the only thing is that it doesn't look reversible... once is done, is done...

Even without using the "Bake Corners" button, as soon as you use the Corner Tool on any of the nodes on shapes created with the shape tools (polygon, cog, star, diamond, whatever) it loses its identity as that kind of adjustable shape & you no longer have the parametric adjustments for that type of shape in the Context toolbar.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...
On 8/15/2017 at 6:28 PM, Alfred said:

If you prefer the default aspect ratio constraint behaviour to be the same for all objects/layers regardless of their type, go to 'Preferences > Tools' and change the Move Tool Aspect Constrain setting accordingly.

Thanks, this helped me with sizing photos within frames in Publisher. Shift key wasn't working!