You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 7)

Double-click on a handle of a single-segment straight line results into something like a non-existent curve:ph34r:

Same behaviour: mid handle of frame text. Sometimes the same happened when single-segment straight lines were scaled using the transform panel.

9 hours ago, Frank Jonen said:

Your file works for me, I just can't create these here.

That’s extremely weird. Honestly, I cannot think what could go wrong on your side. Just to make sure, here is how things are looking on my machine (see my video):

• Create a text frame
  • Insert some text, for instance a number with decimal fractions (use period as decimal separator), and add a tab before
  • Go to the Paragraph Panel, enter a tab stop distance, and confirm with Return
  • Click the Plus icon to create a tab stop, and select this tab stop in the tab stop list
  • Now the tab stop options should become available, and they should have an effect on the text

Hmm. Looks fully functional here … :/

Alex

Tabs.mov

When you have a look at my video in the previous post, you will notice some redrawing problems in the light UI. Steps to reproduce:

• Undock any panel that has numeric input fields (it doesn’t happen with docked panels)
  • Click such an input field to enter a value
  • You will notice additional frames showing up around that input field, and these frames will be persistent for the most part even on focus change
  • These seem to be artifacts or remnants inherited from the dark UI, for the numeric inputs change their appearance here, when they are clicked

Hope that helps … :)

Alex

Remnants.thumb.png.1540b303079c2cd5baa0a52c22faf44e.png

• Staff

@Oval A genuine question, have we done something to offend/upset you - many of your posts tend towards a more-than-normal level of negativity towards how you perceive the company thinks/feels/operates. It’s not the industry-standard for devs at a software company to engage directly with customers so I’m beginning to wonder if this is ultimately breeding a false view of our company based on the language and thoughts of those individuals that you would not hold had you simply always spoken to support personnel and received ‘I’ll pass that on to development’ as a stock answer? I get that you’re waiting for features (isn’t everyone?) but negativity towards the company/individuals will do nothing to expedite them...

edited to say: perhaps it’s just a language barrier thing?

8 hours ago, A_B_C said:

That’s extremely weird. Honestly, I cannot think what could go wrong on your side. Just to make sure, here is how things are looking on my machine (see my video):

• Create a text frame
  • Insert some text, for instance a number with decimal fractions (use period as decimal separator), and add a tab before
  • Go to the Paragraph Panel, enter a tab stop distance, and confirm with Return
  • Click the Plus icon to create a tab stop, and select this tab stop in the tab stop list
  • Now the tab stop options should become available, and they should have an effect on the text

Hmm. Looks fully functional here … :/

Alex

Tabs.mov

I've reset Designer and now it works. Something got screwed up. 

BTW is there a way to make the text frame being persistent instead of going away constantly once I select another object?

More questions: How do I set the character to be repeated, the distance from fill characters to word?

The part that the reset didn't fix: I'm still flying blind when setting up tabs, no visual way to see the tabs in context. No invisible characters, no tab editor. Just the little list.

What I found in the list: When you confirm edits in the list with 'enter', the entry gets deleted, you have to use tab to go out of editing the value of the tab stop (when you edit it within the list).

More questions: How do I set the character to be repeated, the distance from fill characters to word?

• I fear there is no genuine way to change the character to be repeated, but you can change the glyph that represents this character, namely by selecting the repeated character and using another font. In principle, you could create a custom font and assign an arbitrary glyph to the relevant codepoint (for instance, to the code point of the period character). That might be a bit cumbersome, but as you said, whatever works …
  • There does not seem to be a genuine way to change the amount of whitespace between the repeated character and the tabbed phrase. To add a little more space, however, you could insert a zero width space (Text > Insert Character > Zero Width Space) before the phrase and use kerning. Though this is not perfect, it will give you some microtypographic control.

Hope this is helpful … :)

Alex

2 hours ago, A_B_C said:

• I fear there is no genuine way to change the character to be repeated, but you can change the glyph that represents this character, namely by selecting the repeated character and using another font. In principle, you could create a custom font and assign an arbitrary glyph to the relevant codepoint (for instance, to the code point of the period character). That might be a bit cumbersome, but as you said, whatever works …
  • There does not seem to be a genuine way to change the amount of whitespace between the repeated character and the tabbed phrase. To add a little more space, however, you could insert a zero width space (Text > Insert Character > Zero Width Space) before the phrase and use kerning. Though this is not perfect, it will give you some microtypographic control.

Hope this is helpful … :)

Alex

I used to have a font like that. Numbers were spaces that matched leadings from my Weiss Antiqua drawer. Top row had various dot shapes with various spacings (lowercase regular, uppercase 2x). Home row I think were underline options with various cuts for descenders. I don't know where that went, but maybe it's time to make one like that again.

On 19. August 2017 at 2:55 PM, MattP said:

@Oval A genuine question, have we done something to offend/upset you - many of your posts tend towards a more-than-normal level of negativity towards how you perceive the company thinks/feels/operates. It’s not the industry-standard for devs at a software company to engage directly with customers so I’m beginning to wonder if this is ultimately breeding a false view of our company based on the language and thoughts of those individuals that you would not hold had you simply always spoken to support personnel and received ‘I’ll pass that on to development’ as a stock answer? I get that you’re waiting for features (isn’t everyone?) but negativity towards the company/individuals will do nothing to expedite them...

edited to say: perhaps it’s just a language barrier thing?

@MattP Seems to bump into big public interest. If you would be more specific, we would be glad to answer. It was not an easy job (because the search lacks a previous feature), but a more-than-normal level of negativity was not found in this thread. Maybe we interpret smileys differently or misunderstood something. Hm, what exactly is too badly formulated, what should be corrected? Should we thank Serif every time for our bug report and for helping other users or simply stop our work that’s not the industry-standard? Language barrier thing? Meant seriously: Shouldn’t your first sentence end with a question mark or is it not a question, please?

files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5

Umm, maybe a too obvious question but will files created in 1.6 Beta <n> later open in 1.6 <production>?  

My preferred approach to testing something is to use it (hence my earlier questions about the ability to clone the full 1.5 environment including installed brushes, palettes et al into the 1.6 beta).  I'm not a pro, so I can afford to lose work (not too much, though, but it isn't as much of a drama in both time and finance), but at the same time I don't want to have to replicate effort without a good reason..

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

9 hours ago, BatteriesInc said:

Umm, maybe a too obvious question but will files created in 1.6 Beta <n> later open in 1.6 <production>?

Of course. The files are only not backwards compatible because of new features and new formats that earlier versions don't register. Future versions should have no problem reading earlier formats. That would be awful seeing how I made a lot of drawings just while the betas were out.

Edit: I really need to proofread more.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

10 hours ago, A_B_C said:

I don’t know if this has already been reported, but here’s a slightly weird one:

• Create a small favicon-size document (16 by 16 pixels, for instance)
  • Select Pixel View Mode
  • Document looks perfect, unless …
  • … artboard is created.

Hmm. See my video. :)

Artboard-Way-Off.mov

Just tried it. Does the same here. 

Another thing. When I start a document in 16-bit mode and go up to 32-bit.

The Artboard backdrop gamma isn't converted but assigned it seems. Brightness comes way up when I do that.

On 8/19/2017 at 8:15 PM, Oval said:

Should we thank Serif every time for our bug report and for helping other users or simply stop our work that’s not the industry-standard? Language barrier thing? Meant seriously: Shouldn’t your first sentence end with a question mark or is it not a question, please?

No, you should just change your attitude and drop the sarcasm as I'm sure it doesn't get you far in other areas of life either... people help each other because that's what decent people do; Affinity doesn't owe you any thanks for participating in this community.... are you really trolling the one of the developers? 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Tekikou said:

HI guys, there are still issues with guides not being displayed.
Also, symbols are still not working as expected, they stop syncing randomly… I ended up using embedded documents :(

Edit:

Expand Stroke feature is also broken :S

ExpandStrokeBug.mp4

:)

Hi Tekikou,

Is there any chance you could tell me some more... When are your guides not displaying? Are you using the OpenGL view or Metal view? Do they disappear at some point or do they just not appear at the right time?

Symbols are working well for me, so I'm assuming it's something specific to the objects you're using - if you happen to have a document (even one which has now stopped syncing correctly) that you could share with us then we can try to see about reproducing it and fixing it? :)

I've tweaked Expand Stroke a little more for the next beta to stop it being so aggressive on small objects, I tried tracing over a screenshot of your movie with a canvas the same size as yours and I now get a good result, so hopefully you'll see an improvement in the next beta, but do let me know :)

Thanks!

Matt

• Staff
4 hours ago, andremacola said:

Crashing a lot when try to fit the text frame in zoom mode. Anyone with this problem?

The new double click in the text frame box circle to fit the frame size to text. It is not all the time but it happens to me a lot. See the video

bug.mov

I'm trying my best to reproduce this but I'm having no joy at the moment - I'll see if there are any clues in the code that could produce this behaviour, but if you spot anything that seems to make it a bit easier to reproduce then please let me know! :)

• Staff

@owenr and @m4nticore Thanks for this! It does seem to only be those two options which are drawing strangely (2:1 Triangular and Horizontal Triangular) which is very odd... I'm looking at fixing it right now... Also, the disagreement between isometric grid drawing and snapping is a side-effect of another change I had to make the other day - I've reverted it so that the code acts as expected while I search for a better fix. I'll also sort out the colour drawing - I'm surprised as I've seen this working, but obviously something is not quite right... Sorry again, but it'll be sorted pronto! :) 

30 minutes ago, MattP said:

Hi Tekikou,

Is there any chance you could tell me some more... When are your guides not displaying? Are you using the OpenGL view or Metal view? Do they disappear at some point or do they just not appear at the right time?

Symbols are working well for me, so I'm assuming it's something specific to the objects you're using - if you happen to have a document (even one which has now stopped syncing correctly) that you could share with us then we can try to see about reproducing it and fixing it? :)

I've tweaked Expand Stroke a little more for the next beta to stop it being so aggressive on small objects, I tried tracing over a screenshot of your movie with a canvas the same size as yours and I now get a good result, so hopefully you'll see an improvement in the next beta, but do let me know :)

Thanks!

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm using the Metal view. Actually, they do reappear when I drag a new guide, otherwise, I just can't show them. (It's the exact same bug I demonstrated before in video)

I guess I could send you a document as the sync problem basically happens all the time!

I'll send you one as soon as possible.

Great! :D

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.