You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 7)

Hey guys, I am constantly getting these failed to save document messages.  It happens whenever I convert a document (such as a PDF).  I thought it might be corrupt read/write settings on my drive but that's not the issue (I did a terminal fix user settings just to be sure).  If I quit AD and restart and do the same thing then I'm OK but then it the fail to save message shows up after about the third time (I'm converting a batch of PDF files).   Very annoying! Sorry but true :)  But wondering if you are getting the same error messages on your end?  There's just some quirks when opening up PDFs which are saved from other programs - such as at the font issue corruption that I reported a few days ago (that hasn't come up again - but I still can't figure out why that happened) or the spell checker indicating misspelling on correct words.  Anyway, other than the spelling thing, I'm able to do some workarounds but wanted to bring these problems up.  

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 3.00.44 AM.png

• Staff
22 hours ago, A_B_C said:

I don’t know if this has already been reported, but here’s a slightly weird one:

• Create a small favicon-size document (16 by 16 pixels, for instance)
  • Select Pixel View Mode
  • Document looks perfect, unless …
  • … artboard is created.

Hmm. See my video. :)

Artboard-Way-Off.mov

Yes, this is a known issue that's already logged to be looked at.

Bitte, wurde der Dezimaltabulator-Bug, auf dessen Korrektur Nutzer seit über einem Jahr warten, auch bereits »logged to be solved«?

Das Problem betrifft wohl u. a. Albanien, Andorra, Argentinien, Belgien, Bolivien, Brasilien, Bulgarien, Chile, Dänemark, Deutschland, Ecuador, Estland, Färöer, Finnland, Frankreich, Georgien, Griechenland, Grönland, Indonesien, Island, Italien, Kolumbien, Kosovo, Kroatien, Kuba, Lettland, Litauen, Luxemburg, Mazedonien, Moldawien, Niederlande, Norwegen, Österreich, Paraguay, Peru, Polen, Portugal, Rumänien, Russland, Schweden, Teile der Schweiz, Serbien, Simbabwe, Slowakei, Slowenien, Spanien, Südafrika, Tschechien, Türkei, Ukraine, Ungarn, Uruguay, Venezuela, Weißrussland und indirekt alle Länder.

• Staff
1 hour ago, abarkalo said:

Hey guys, I am constantly getting these failed to save document messages.  It happens whenever I convert a document (such as a PDF).  I thought it might be corrupt read/write settings on my drive but that's not the issue (I did a terminal fix user settings just to be sure).  If I quit AD and restart and do the same thing then I'm OK but then it the fail to save message shows up after about the third time (I'm converting a batch of PDF files).   Very annoying! Sorry but true :)  But wondering if you are getting the same error messages on your end?  There's just some quirks when opening up PDFs which are saved from other programs - such as at the font issue corruption that I reported a few days ago (that hasn't come up again - but I still can't figure out why that happened) or the spell checker indicating misspelling on correct words.  Anyway, other than the spelling thing, I'm able to do some workarounds but wanted to bring these problems up.  

I haven't had this behaviour myself (with the failed to save to Dropbox folder issue) but I'm going to try it lots in a minute to see if I can provoke something... I can't honestly see why it would say that you don't have permission to create in that location though, especially as you've already run the 'fix permissions'...

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I haven't had this behaviour myself (with the failed to save to Dropbox folder issue) but I'm going to try it lots in a minute to see if I can provoke something... I can't honestly see why it would say that you don't have permission to create in that location though, especially as you've already run the 'fix permissions'...

It's not just in a Dropbox folder - it's in any folder, including the Desktop.  I've uninstalled AD (beta and MAS) and reinstalled to see if this fixed anything.  It used to happen in Betas 5-6 but now again.  Will report back if I see this again.  

29 minutes ago, Tekikou said:

Will this issue be fixed soon? I'm losing so much time… I have to open every SVG I export from AD in Illustrator because the SVG export is not reliable :|

Affinity Designer:

599ae000bcaed_ScreenShot2017-08-21at15_24_30.png.fba09562183429cab7a4d6d0e299992b.png

Illustrator:

599ae0125ab4b_ScreenShot2017-08-21at15_24_34.png.71e8ccc23aba548c6750916014d77171.png

It's a clipping bug - here's a simple clip on my end.   It is more reliable with EPS export but doesn't work at all with SVGs

clipping - AD.png

clipping - illustrator.png

whitehat.svg

39 minutes ago, MattP said:

Hi @abarkalo, I think @Tekikou has a problem with SVG export, whereas your issue is to do with clipping paths on SVG import, I think? We have the import bug logged and assigned at the moment, but I'm not sure about the export issue?... I'll look into it...

yes, on both.  I created the sample design on AD, then I export to SVG, then opened the SVG in AD and that's what I showed here.   Including the sample AD file here so you can export to SVG and reopen.  

white hat.afdesign

6 hours ago, MattP said:

I'm trying my best to reproduce this but I'm having no joy at the moment - I'll see if there are any clues in the code that could produce this behaviour, but if you spot anything that seems to make it a bit easier to reproduce then please let me know! :)

I'll try to investigate more. Maybe it's the file I brought from 1.5?

13 hours ago, MattP said:

I'm trying my best to reproduce this but I'm having no joy at the moment - I'll see if there are any clues in the code that could produce this behaviour, but if you spot anything that seems to make it a bit easier to reproduce then please let me know! :)

No crash but this (second line).

HTH

Has it already been reported that when using the pixel Brush Tool, both white and black does the same thing on pixel masks (erases)? One color is suppose to, and the other is suppose to reveal what was erased.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

17 hours ago, abarkalo said:

yes, on both.  I created the sample design on AD, then I export to SVG, then opened the SVG in AD and that's what I showed here.   Including the sample AD file here so you can export to SVG and reopen.  

white hat.afdesign

That looks like an import bug to me. When I export the file and look at it in other apps, it seems fine. It goes wrong when Affinity imports it.

I think Tekikou is also talking about an import bug too. The exported SVG loads into Illustrator fine, but not into Affinity. Our importer can't manage the clips from our own exporter.

On 21/08/2017 at 5:32 AM, andremacola said:

Crashing a lot when try to fit the text frame in zoom mode. Anyone with this problem?

The new double click in the text frame box circle to fit the frame size to text. It is not all the time but it happens to me a lot. See the video

bug.mov

Ah, it seems to happen if the text frame is too short to fit a single line of text vertically, and you auto-fit horizontally. I hadn't come across this because my text frames weren't that short. Now I can reproduce it I'll see if I can fix it. Meanwhile a workaround is to make the frame taller than the text first.

Hmmm. You ought to be able to make the frame taller by double-clicking on the centre-bottom handle, but it does nothing in this case. You have to drag to make the frame taller, then double-click to make it exact.

Here is an additional video, Dave. Double clicking a text frame that is smaller than its content does work as expected here. But there is also this other bug Oval had mentioned. Clicking the vertically centered handle of a text frame that is too small for its contents results in a text frame of zero width and zero height.

Double-Click-Text-Frame.mov

22 hours ago, abarkalo said:

Does that file name really consist entirely of spaces? If not, what was it supposed to be?

On 15/08/2017 at 6:37 PM, abarkalo said:

One question and I don't know if this is the beta because it also happens with the MAS version.  If I open a multipage PDF (one I didn't create) the auto spellchecker is highlighting words that are obviously correctly spelled.  I thought that maybe a foreign language dictionary is being used but I check on text/spelling and I don't see those settings or where to change that.  Apologies if this is a simple setting that I am not seeing. 

Can you attach a PDF that shows this happening?

5 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

That looks like an import bug to me. When I export the file and look at it in other apps, it seems fine. It goes wrong when Affinity imports it.

I think Tekikou is also talking about an import bug too. The exported SVG loads into Illustrator fine, but not into Affinity. Our importer can't manage the clips from our own exporter.

I'm not. It's actually an export bug. I export a SVG from AD and open it in Illustrator and it's bugged in Illustrator.

11 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Ah, it seems to happen if the text frame is too short to fit a single line of text vertically, and you auto-fit horizontally. I hadn't come across this because my text frames weren't that short. Now I can reproduce it I'll see if I can fix it. Meanwhile a workaround is to make the frame taller than the text first.

Hmmm. You ought to be able to make the frame taller by double-clicking on the centre-bottom handle, but it does nothing in this case. You have to drag to make the frame taller, then double-click to make it exact.

Yes. In my second video you can see exactly this.

On 21/08/2017 at 3:31 PM, andremacola said:

@MattP Check this new video. If I fit the frame first from bottom or manually increase from right, nothing happens but if I first double click from right.. them.... CRASH.

bug.mov

42 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

It can be hard to keep track when many bugs are reported in a single thread.

Hm, we understand this. So wouldn’t it be better to ask for single reports (in future)?

BTW: But there are also old threads that are without reaction.

Speaking of such, I noticed that people, plus myself, report bugs found in the betas on the beta topics, yet there is a whole forum section on that. I always just figured it would make sense to post here, but would it be easier to make new topics on the bugs found?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 0:41 PM, abarkalo said:

Thanks for this  - but wondering which methods we have available here are best for PDF export - when you want a smaller size document.  I think it's bilinear since I tested the others and text gets a bit jaggy.  I don't think we have a lossless method or if these perform similarly.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.38.15 PM.png

I would target Lanczos 3 separable if it's available. Otherwise it's Bicubic->Bilinear -> Nearest Neighbor. I would expect no one but secure documents to use Lanczos 3 non-separable.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.