You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 7)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This beta version represents a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Fixed a number of PDF import issues.
  • Fix for Corner Tool error introduced in the last Beta (sorry...) :79_smiley_cat:
  • Fix for embedded documents not updating the host document properly when modified
  • Fix for artboard labels not updating correctly when the names are changed in the layers panel (Metal view mode only)
  • Tweak to the Metal view to improve performance further

MattP,

Thanks for the quick update! I do have one question, for some reason starting with the last beta, the Studio panels that I dock on the left side don't appear when I launch the program and I have to show them every time but the ones on the right show up as usual. Is that the issue that was discussed in earlier releases? It has never happened to me before so I was just curious.

Thanks for all the hard work! 

Hokusai

Thanks for Your updates.

I would like to ask about the fixes priorities: there are bugs for more then Year… reported… not fixed… like this one (and I could go on)

I know this kind of bugs won't crash App from running… But It may „crash“ the user from being sane :-) In this case, see it every single day when creating new file… it's really annoying.

Could You please add some timeout for not-important fixes and improvements to Your workflow? To prefer them? They may not be important to You, from developers point of view, but such fixes can keep Yours users happy and healthy… Keep us believe that You still listen to Your users… and that is something :-)

Thank You

It's great to see how fast these betas are coming. Any how, I thought it might be helpful to show a video screencast of the two problems I was facing in the previous beta and this one.

Hairballs.mov

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Bri-Toon, isn't the first behaviour you describe caused by having Show selection in layer panel checked in Preferences > User Interface?

Currently working on a blog to share design, game development and web related things. Check it out here at goede.site! Also working on a transition guide for Illustrator users moving to Affinity Designer :26_nerd:, if you have any handy tips or resources I would love to know about them.

27 minutes ago, Pining said:

Bri-Toon, isn't the first behaviour you describe caused by having Show selection in layer panel checked in Preferences > User Interface?

This is what my User Interface preferences show. I am not seeing such an option. I checked the other preferences in case you may have meant another category, but I'm not finding anything on that.

5993171764b00_ScreenShot2017-08-15at11_43_02AM.png.cebdabc577b461aad2ded516e8dd7f6e.png

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi Bri-Toon,

It's the Auto-scroll to show selection in Layers panel. Disabling it will prevent the behaviour shown in your movie clip (1st issue).

The second behaviour is also by design. If you place a mask in an empty layer it will affect all layers below it. As soon as you place something inside that layer the mask will only affect the content of that layer.

Let me explain my thanks, guys.

10 minutes ago, bagmetv said:

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for your hard work!

I'm facing the same issue with turned off Studio panels on the left each time I launch app or even switch between Personas.

Cheers

Vitaliy

woking fine on my end

if you switch personas, the new persona has it's own side panel which has a different/ separate state

however, switching back to the previous persona should restore it as it was when you left it, works on my side so far (remembering on restart works as well)

maybe there is some additional bug but maybe you're just seeing intended behavior/ a feature 

My typical experience with a company (another one that begins with a letter A, but not only that one) when reporting an issue is that they either tell me my hardware is too old (no it's not, and they are just told to say that) or that "it will be forwarded to the engineering team" and then it just goes to Stephen Hawking's black hole.  They also tell me that I should not be using an AMD GPU, as if I had a choice with Apple. Or, my favorite - this one came from another company - "we have diagnosed the issue and have determined that the software is performing as it should" - really now...

So I couldn't be happier with the immediate response and the great feeling/reality that we are all being listened to.  Serif is the most customer attentive company... ever. 

One question and I don't know if this is the beta because it also happens with the MAS version.  If I open a multipage PDF (one I didn't create) the auto spellchecker is highlighting words that are obviously correctly spelled.  I thought that maybe a foreign language dictionary is being used but I check on text/spelling and I don't see those settings or where to change that.  Apologies if this is a simple setting that I am not seeing.  

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 10.10.52 AM.png

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Bri-Toon,

It's the Auto-scroll to show selection in Layers panel. Disabling it will prevent the behaviour shown in your movie clip (1st issue).

The second behaviour is also by design. If you place a mask in an empty layer it will affect all layers below it. As soon as you place something inside that layer the mask will only affect the content of that layer.

That's odd, why do our preferences describe the same setting with different text in English :53_cold_sweat::35_thinking:

Currently working on a blog to share design, game development and web related things. Check it out here at goede.site! Also working on a transition guide for Illustrator users moving to Affinity Designer :26_nerd:, if you have any handy tips or resources I would love to know about them.

I was trying to figure out Bagmetv's issue, and I was about to suggest to go into Layer > Studio > Reset Studio, and see if it works with the default workspace (assuming the right tabs may have been accidentally repositioned), but now I am unable to move a tab set. Designer stops responding if I attempt to click and drag (not a tab) but a tab set. This is after the workspace has been reset.

• Staff
1 hour ago, abarkalo said:

My typical experience with a company (another one that begins with a letter A, but not only that one) when reporting an issue is that they either tell me my hardware is too old (no it's not, and they are just told to say that) or that "it will be forwarded to the engineering team" and then it just goes to Stephen Hawking's black hole.  They also tell me that I should not be using an AMD GPU, as if I had a choice with Apple. Or, my favorite - this one came from another company - "we have diagnosed the issue and have determined that the software is performing as it should" - really now...

So I couldn't be happier with the immediate response and the great feeling/reality that we are all being listened to.  Serif is the most customer attentive company... ever. 

Thank you! That means a lot to hear! :80_smile_cat:

• Staff
1 hour ago, abarkalo said:

One question and I don't know if this is the beta because it also happens with the MAS version.  If I open a multipage PDF (one I didn't create) the auto spellchecker is highlighting words that are obviously correctly spelled.  I thought that maybe a foreign language dictionary is being used but I check on text/spelling and I don't see those settings or where to change that.  Apologies if this is a simple setting that I am not seeing.  

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 10.10.52 AM.png

I've had this happen to me before too, but thought it was a weird artefact of me using the debugging build - obviously not!!! I'll ask for this to be looked at, thanks :)

• Staff
29 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

I was trying to figure out Bagmetv's issue, and I was about to suggest to go into Layer > Studio > Reset Studio, and see if it works with the default workspace (assuming the right tabs may have been accidentally repositioned), but now I am unable to move a tab set. Designer stops responding if I attempt to click and drag (not a tab) but a tab set. This is after the workspace has been reset.

I'll ask for this to be looked at - my experience is as MBd's but clearly something is wrong...

33 minutes ago, MattP said:

I've had this happen to me before too, but thought it was a weird artefact of me using the debugging build - obviously not!!! I'll ask for this to be looked at, thanks :)

PDFs sometimes split text mid word to compensate for changes in default kerning values... I've seen it before it's sloppy PDF generation IMHO. Look at the file in keyline/outline view to check... 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff
22 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

PDFs sometimes split text mid word to compensate for changes in default kerning values... I've seen it before it's sloppy PDF generation IMHO. Look at the file in keyline/outline view to check... 

I initially thought that too, but it’s normally just one block of text and adding a character and deleting it will suddenly make the spellchecker happy... 9_9

57 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'll ask for this to be looked at - my experience is as MBd's but clearly something is wrong...

Thanks, and just to take note, I set my workspace back to how I had it. Then I closed and reopened the program. Now if I drag the tile set, I have no issue. The program only seems to crash after trying to move tile sets around after resetting the studio and not closing the program during that session.

4 hours ago, MattP said:

...which probably means I've screwed up the translations in the last couple of builds then... ahem... :9_innocent:

Whoops my bad, looks like this changed during this beta :7_sweat_smile: shows up using the same description for me after updating..

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.