You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.80

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Designer version 1.5 was purchased.

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed drag and drop of files into Application
  • Fixed crash on Windows 10 when opening a file from the recent menu
  • Fixed blown colours shown incorrectly after colour conversion
  • Fixed Glyph Browser fails to show the selected font
  • Fixed new Artistic Text from jiggling as it is dragged out
  • Improved stroke expansion
  • Changed text to always render at full quality when typing
  • Fixed Font popup font list and search to be case insensitive
  • Fixed Character Panel flashes when you first open it
  • Fixed black window border on some dialogs
  • Fixed Raster Brush Editing dialog showing a vertical scrollbar
  • Fixed floating panels don't stay attached when one is hidden
  • Fixed PDF export of embedded documents (thanks claycle)
  • Fixed PDF import of images with alpha channels of a differing size to the colour channels (thanks pixeldroid)
  • Fixed crash when adding a Global Colour from a recent swatch

Thanks for the latest Beta update...

Wow..improved stroke expansion..Brilliant.... been looking forward to that...

Brush H S L Jitter now working as well:)

I have just been playing with the text tool and unfortunately I get a couple of issues

1. The artistic text tool is 'jumpy' and sticks to the snapping

2. The Frame text tool starts as you drag out and then crashes Designer (works to position where the bounding box comes into contact with a snapping point [page or object])

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

53 minutes ago, Stuart_R said:

1. The artistic text tool is 'jumpy' and sticks to the snapping

2. The Frame text tool starts as you drag out and then crashes Designer (works to position where the bounding box comes into contact with a snapping point [page or object])

I had the exact same problem when I first started AD. After I terminated the app I restarted it while holding "Ctrl" and resetting everything. Both text tools now work as expected.

I had to do the samething in Photo.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

The Text Frame tool is definitely broken with guide snapping turned on. Even after resetting all app settings using the Ctrl key shortcut at startup (and re-enabling snapping).

It just goes into high CPU usage and becomes unresponsive, but Windows doesn't see it as a frozen application.

I would also say that the expand stroke is still not 100% fixed. For example creating an ellispe and expanding the stroke results in the following path which is no longer elliptical:

1Ry0hkv.png

ebFwQCX.gif

A total of 24 nodes when it only needs 8 (one on each quadrant).

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

24 minutes ago, AlainP said:

I had the exact same problem when I first started AD. After I terminated the app I restarted it while holding "Ctrl" and resetting everything. Both text tools now work as expected.

Resetting the app switches off snapping

Switch snapping back on and the Frame Text Tool hangs the app

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Tried this version with XP-Pen Star03 (Ugee M708) tablet and the high precision tablet input enabled. (latest driver: Dec 29 - 2016 - V8.1.2016.1002, WinTab32 V8.1.2016.906 / 10x6”, 2048-levels, System: Windows 8.1 x64 + 8GB RAM + Geforce 755M + SSD)

It is possible sometimes to continually draw with all new features. Sometimes the line gets broken in the middle (vector/raster persona). After a while the input stops responding and the application starts to massively increase memory usage and completely freezes system. Another brush tools (smudge etc.) are freezing almost instantly.

Attached image - Started drawing with Vector Brush (A4 blank canvas). The line started to get broken. With pen movement, there appear straight lines from/to(?) cursor position. The situation generates massive amount of curves. Lifting the pen from surface of the tablet does nothing - hovering over the surface continues to generate more lines and using memory.

xppen.png

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

Fantastic this fixes the issue.....:) (without snapping) but not for snapping active

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

I can't start the program. I get an "Unhandled Exception" error. The previous beta (79) got as far as the opening screen but I got the same message as soon as I tried to do anything.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

1 hour ago, Stuart_R said:

Fantastic this fixes the issue.....:) (without snapping) but not for snapping active

You're right, re-enabling Snapping.... Text Tool becomes unuseable.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

For the people getting crashes at startup. Can you do the following:

1. Start the application, wait for the crash
  2. Don't click OK
  3. Go to %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\ in Windows Explorer
  4. Attach any files in the CrashReports folder to a post in this thread
  5. Click OK on crash message
  6. Add the contents of the directory to a zip file and upload to a post in this thread

Thanks!

Just to let you and Sean know, the 'colour profiles' and hence intensity mapping issues are gone again.

Hoping you can put a test in, with the files I sent you on previous reports perhaps, so that this doesn't regress yet again.

Great to see the new version, thanks.

Regards,

Clive

9 hours ago, ObsidianDog said:

AD crashes dramatically after using the Frame Text tool with the Enable Snapping option on. Once touching a snapping point, the only thing to do is restart your computer. :( 

This isn't the behaviour I experience... the Frame Text tool snaps and appears to freeze, but if I release the mouse and then change the zoom level (scrolling the mouse wheel) everything resumes.

I can then resize the Frame, with snapping, and everything behaves as expected.

Obviously this isn't how things should work, but try changing the zoom as it makes the beta usable until the bug is fixed.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

24 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

This isn't the behaviour I experience... the Frame Text tool snaps and appears to freeze, but if I release the mouse and then change the zoom level (scrolling the mouse wheel) everything resumes.

I can then resize the Frame, with snapping, and everything behaves as expected.

Obviously this isn't how things should work, but try changing the zoom as it makes the beta usable until the bug is fixed.

I just tried your "technique" by changing the zoom level.... it does not work for me. CPU runs at 30% and the only way to stop it is by terminating AD using Task Manager.

-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

I just tried your "technique" by changing the zoom level.... it does not work for me. CPU runs at 30% and the only way to stop it is by terminating AD using Task Manager.

I cannot change the zoom level... it does not work for me too. CTRL+SHIFT+ESC (Task Manager) is my last resort.