You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This thread seems to have devolved into crop wars. :S 

I think many people have moved/will move away from photoshop to AP because of the pricing, not necessarily because they weren't pleased with the PS interface or functionality. And, it's understandable that AP doesn't have all the same features - yet - because it's a much younger product.

But, isn't it fine to critique and offer suggestions for improvement??

2 hours ago, vwatson said:

But, isn't it fine to critique and offer suggestions for improvement??

Of course it is. It just isn't so fine to imply that everybody wants everything to work the same way or has the same reasons for choosing one product or another.

Also, with respect to the Affinity forums, it is best to post feature requests to the forums intended for that rather than the ones intended for support of the Affinity products.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

It just isn't so fine to imply that everybody wants everything to work the same way or has the same reasons for choosing one product or another.

Thats true, and for me there are just some few things in PS really better than in AP, like the preset-handling/managing or the show/select-brush-window... 

By the crop tool i just miss one option: automatic rasterize ALL layers to the new size.Its nice to have the image or whatever in the original relation as backup/move-space, but in most cases i do not need this. So just a checkmark for automatic raster would be nice.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

Then do that. Nothing stops you from entering values in whatever units you want, regardless of the default units of the document.

As I presented, value fields are greyed out in Document size dialog box. That stops me.

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

Then why doesn't Adobe use that same UI in all its flagship graphics apps?

InDesign uses mostly the same UI. Some other Adobe product do not, unfortunately. Nobody's perfect :10_wink:

7 minutes ago, Fixx said:

As I presented, value fields are greyed out in Document size dialog box. That stops me.

So are you trying to resize the document (which requires resampling it, even in Photoshop) or do you just want to use mm or whatever as the document unit?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

So are you trying to resize the document (which requires resampling it, even in Photoshop) or do you just want to use mm or whatever as the document unit?

Resize the physical size (in millimetres) without resample, which would change dpi accordingly.

9 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Resize the physical size (in millimetres) without resample, which would change dpi accordingly.

If by physical size you mean the pixel dimensions of the document, you can't do that without resampling the document. Pixels do not expand or contract in size regardless of the units or dpi you are using. They are a dimensionless unit, which among other things is why we use pixels per <some unit> to describe things like pixel density.

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If by physical size you mean the pixel dimensions of the document, you can't do that without resampling the document. Pixels do not expand or contract in size regardless of the units or dpi you are using. They are a dimensionless unit, which among other things is why we use pixels per <some unit> to describe things like pixel density.

Yes, why do we do that?

As we have discussed before. The units are not fixed to anything so have nothing to do with density. Unless you use a specific device.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 minutes ago, toltec said:

Yes, why do we do that?

Because dimensionless units of measurement are useful in many fields, for example anywhere it would not make any sense to assign a physical dimension to a measurement of quantity or a ratio or percent.

Affinity Photo 

25 minutes ago, owenr said:

No, the opposite! Physical size means the size measured in physical units such as mm or inch.

Physical size only has an unambiguous meaning for things that have a physical existence, like prints. The pixels of a virtual object like in a digital image file do not have any independent physical existence of their own & thus do not have any specific physical units. For this reason they are considered dimensionless, which is why it makes no sense to talk about things like "pixel mm per inch," but it does to talk about "screen pixels per inch."

This is more complicated than it might seem. See for example dimensional homogeneity in dimensional analysis of physical things or Position vs. displacement in the same article.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, Fixx said:

R C-R, you do not prepare lot of files for art printing, do you?

No, I do not, but that does not have anything to do with the impossibility of resizing the pixels of an image file without resampling or the very real difference between a virtual & physical pixel.

Affinity Photo 

On 8/25/2018 at 2:17 PM, R C-R said:

No, I do not, but that does not have anything to do with the impossibility of resizing the pixels of an image file without resampling or the very real difference between a virtual & physical pixel.

Oh, but printing has everything to do with resizing artwork without resampling to fit accurately to targeted output size.

42 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Oh, but printing has everything to do with resizing artwork without resampling to fit accurately to targeted output size.

How can you possibly resize any raster format file without resampling it????

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

How can you possibly resize any raster format file without resampling it????

Since we're talking about printing, wouldn't you simply change its DPI without changing the number of pixels it contains?

Of course, how successful you are will depend on whether you're making the printed output smaller or larger, and what the file dimensions and DPI are to start with.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Since we're talking about printing, wouldn't you simply change its DPI without changing the number of pixels it contains?

Yes, but changing dpi, while it works in AP, does not give accurate dimensions in millimetres. I would rather change millimetres and let AP calculate needed dpi.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I am assuming that for reasonable print quality one would want to avoid going much below 300 dpi. So for example, for an A4 page size & borderless printing the image needs to be about 2500 by about 3500 pixels, or cropped to that size; otherwise it would have to be resampled to those pixel dimensions.

Affinity Photo 

57 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Yes, but changing dpi, while it works in AP, does not give accurate dimensions in millimetres. I would rather change millimetres and let AP calculate needed dpi.

So are you talking about the well known issue in which, if you uncheck "Resample," the size display does not update when you make changes in the DPI field of the Resize Document option?

Granted, that is an annoying oversight that should have been addressed long ago, but for one thing, as I mentioned in my previous post, changing DPI to adjust print size is generally usable only over a small range of adjustment. For another, it may be simpler & easier to let the printing system determine how best to adjust the size to fit on the printed page, & that may produce higher quality results depending on the printer & the scaling options of the printing software (because as we all should know by now, a dot & a pixel are not generally the same thing).

Edited by R C-R
Edited slightly, hopefully for a bit better clarity

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

it may be simpler & easier to let the printing system determine how best to adjust the size to fit on the printed page

Unfortunately printing systems usually offer scale adjustment only as percentage, not in millimetres.

2 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Unfortunately printing systems usually offer scale adjustment only as percentage, not in millimetres.

I don't know how true it is for all printing systems but for all the printer software installed on my Mac, there is always a "scale to fit" option, which automatically adjusts for paper size & any bleed or available printer mark options, so I do not need to concern myself with the document units. In my (admittedly limited) experience, it invariably produces at least as good & often better looking results than the 'in app' methods, & it does not require any 'in app' changes to the document, so once I discovered that, I have never had a reason to do it any other way.

Affinity Photo 

57 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't know how true it is for all printing systems but for all the printer software installed on my Mac, there is always a "scale to fit" option, which automatically adjusts for paper size & any bleed or available printer mark options, so I do not need to concern myself with the document units. In my (admittedly limited) experience, it invariably produces at least as good & often better looking results than the 'in app' methods, & it does not require any 'in app' changes to the document, so once I discovered that, I have never had a reason to do it any other way.

Exhibition printing is not done that way.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Exhibition printing is not done that way.

So how is it done?

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

a dot & a pixel are not generally the same

A dot and a pixel are never the same thing.

Unfortunately they are used (equally incorrectly) to measure pixel quantity.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.