You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Content outside art board

I was just wondering why when you open an AI or PDF file created with Illustrator why content outside the art board doesn't show up in Affinity Designer?

we do a lot of setting files up for large format printing and need to place some elements outside the art board but we still need them to edit with later. 

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi JevoUK,

Affinity Designer only imports what's included in the PDF stream of the Ai file (you must check PDF compatible file in Illustrator for it to be included). Objects laying outside the artboards are not included in the PDF stream and as such cannot be imported. The same is valid for PDF's.

So anything outside the art board will not be included even if I check PDF compatible file. 

Is it a legal issue for you not reading the content outside the art board. Sorry but I don't really understand the complexities of what can and cannot be used in a file format. 

• Staff

Hi JevoUK,

If you need to include these objects outside the artboard, create another empty artboard to place them there or simply drag them to inside an existing artboard before exporting.

The Ai file is proprietary (and undocumented). We can only access the simplified PDF stream/data included on it (if present). Since Illustrator doesn't include objects outside the artboard in the PDF stream we have no way to access them. These objects usually aren't intended to be printed or shared through a PDF - they are simply placed on the pasteboard area for convenience/storing/quick access during the design phase.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi JevoUK,

If you need to include these objects outside the artboard, create another empty artboard to place them there or simply drag them to inside an existing artboard before exporting.

The Ai file is proprietary (and undocumented). We can only access the simplified PDF stream/data included on it (if present). Since Illustrator doesn't include objects outside the artboard in the PDF stream we have no way to access them.

Ok thank you for clearing that up for me. 

• 2 years later...
On 8/14/2017 at 10:22 PM, MEB said:

Hi JevoUK,

The Ai file is proprietary (and undocumented). We can only access the simplified PDF stream/data included on it (if present). Since Illustrator doesn't include objects outside the artboard in the PDF stream we have no way to access them. These objects usually aren't intended to be printed or shared through a PDF - they are simply placed on the pasteboard area for convenience/storing/quick access during the design phase.

Thanks for the feedback, still in 2020 this feature not available.
Hence, i think i just need to live up with it.,

• Staff

Hi Chapit Zulkefli,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm afraid we can't do much about this. As I explained in the last paragraph you quoted above objects placed outside artboards in Illustrator are NOT included in the PDF stream inside the Ai file which is the only data we have access to. The rest is proprietary/closed.

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Chapit Zulkefli,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm afraid we can't do much about this. As I explained in the last paragraph you quoted above objects placed outside artboards in Illustrator are NOT included in the PDF stream inside the Ai file which is the only data we have access to. The rest is proprietary/closed.

Hi, MEB.
Thanks for responding. It is okay. I'll take my time to live with it.
As long as my work can be done, I'm all good. 
Thanks for your time, replying my comment.
I appreciate that.