You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Calibri italic and layer masking problem

I was happily using AD with single-color letters, but then I needed to use dual-color letters. Not a problem, I thought, I just need to do a bicolor panel and mask it with the letters.

As expected, it works.

Except I'm using Calibri font in italic and the upper right part of the i is out of the object frame (or if you prefer, the object frame doesn't cover the whole object that is the letter i). As a result, when I apply the letter as a mask, the upper part of the i is cropped, which I can't let slide in a professional project. The problem doesn't happen with not-italic font, so I may switch to non-italic as a last resort, but I'd like a better solution...

How are you masking? I would use the text as a vector clip, and doing that it seems to work for me as long as I position the text appropriately. Specifically, I'd use the Layers tab to move the bicolor panel below/inside the text, making sure the mouse was well to the right of the text's icon before dropping, so both text and panel can be selected and moved.

Converting the text to curves before using it as a mask may also help. It should then get a more precise object frame.

The "easy way" should work, as long as the objects have appropriate relative positions before you make the mask. The alignment buttons probably won't do that, but you should be able to position the text by hand. Either way, the result you get from masking should not be surprising given how the objects looked before you masked.

I am also having trouble masking. I'm doing it all wrong, but don't know how to get it right.

Tried just about everything, so could you please help to get it done ?

I want to fill a vector circle with a pattern.The pattern consists of a jpg pic, which I've "placed".

When I drag the pattern into the circle (or the other way around), I end up with an empty circle and an empty rectangle.

What am I doing wrong ?