You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wouldn't it be nice if people put their posts in the right area (and a solution for this)

There's lots of good things in this forum, but they can be hard to find and it's difficult to browse as people seem to post questions and comments into any area. Probably where they happen to be at the moment. It's understandable, perhaps, and may be viewed as a usability issue rather than a user problem. A simple way to cope with this is to just use tags rather than 'folders'. Have both the user-entered ones, as now, plus required choices.

Choices should include

• AP, AD or both
  • Question, Comment, Bug, Tutorial or Resource

Also allow moderators to correct these.

Then make it ultra-easy to filter on these.So I just click 'AP' and 'Tutorial' to see real tutorials for Affinity Photo, not random questions about anything. Or even have links already up for each combination.

You could also offer a tag cloud for user-generated tags.

Tx

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

A problem with this approach is that it assumes the original questioner knows enough to correctly tag the question e.g. a typical question might be "why isn't inpainting working" and the answer is "you haven't selected the right layer".  The question would probably be tagged 'inpainting', but that's not the problem and it wouldn't help someone who's found something else that doesn't work because they've selected the wrong layer.  I think improved searching by tags is a good idea, but I don't think it would be a big improvement. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

1 minute ago, IanSG said:

A problem with this approach is that it assumes the original questioner knows enough to correctly tag the question e.g. a typical question might be "why isn't inpainting working" and the answer is "you haven't selected the right layer".  The question would probably be tagged 'inpainting', but that's not the problem and it wouldn't help someone who's found something else that doesn't work because they've selected the wrong layer.  I think improved searching by tags is a good idea, but I don't think it would be a big improvement. 

Indeed, you can't get all users to tag correctly, but if you force a limited choice for both product and post type, you'll address most 'post in wrong place' issues. Allowing further tags then allows for search and tag cloud that can help further (even if some are incorrect).

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

A fairly good idea but it may not be something the forum software can support. There is also the issue of new forum users looking for product support being unable or unwilling to decide which of the required tags is appropriate & going elsewhere looking for answers (or deciding not to buy or try the software because they see this as too many hoops to jump through to get support).

Consider for example how many people who post questions now are not aware there are two Affinity products, three supported platforms, plus assorted betas.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

...Consider for example how many people who post questions now are not aware there are two Affinity products, three supported platforms, plus assorted betas.

Not to mention that more than a few users don't know that the name, Affinity, are products and Serif is the company that makes them.

Though a tag format like what Serif uses for Community Plus seems to work well, and maybe better, I personally like a segregated setup like here. I don't know which requires more mod maintenance. 

47 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Not to mention that more than a few users don't know that the name, Affinity, are products and Serif is the company that makes them.

And more than a few users think the name is Infinity rather than Affinity. But that's nothing new: many seem to think that the company name is Sheriff (which is probably not helped by the fact that they're based in Nottingham).

47 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Though a tag format like what Serif uses for Community Plus seems to work well, and maybe better, I personally like a segregated setup like here. I don't know which requires more mod maintenance. 

Whatever mod maintenance CommunityPlus may "require", it doesn't get much! The most that a mod can do is move single posts to new threads of their own: I don't think even admins can split and merge a bunch of off-topic posts.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

So which tag do I use if I want support for my Sheriff of Nottingham Infinity Page Plus app??? :13_upside_down:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

So which tag do I use if I want support for my Sheriff of Nottingham Infinity Page Plus app??? :13_upside_down:

LOL. BTW, many users also overlook the fact that the DTP application is properly called PagePlus (i.e. one word, not two, and "CamelCase"); likewise for CommunityPlus.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

LOL. BTW, many users also overlook the fact that the DTP application is properly called PagePlus (i.e. one word, not two, and "CamelCase"); likewise for CommunityPlus.

I was certainly guilt in separating CommunityPlus above. Then again, I don't think I have ever made the "Plus" bold either as it should be...

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I don't think I have ever made the "Plus" bold either as it should be...

Me too neither!

Alfred spacer.png