You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can it align to key objects?

If you go View > Snapping Manager and Enable Snapping, you can set it to align to all sorts of things. Like Snap to shape key points.

To stop text displaying in points, go Edit > Preferences > User Interface and untick "Show Text in points" It should then display the size in whatever units you have set in the document, like Pixels.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

14 hours ago, toltec said:

If you go View > Snapping Manager and Enable Snapping, you can set it to align to all sorts of things. Like Snap to shape key points.

To stop text displaying in points, go Edit > Preferences > User Interface and untick "Show Text in points" It should then display the size in whatever units you have set in the document, like Pixels.

Adobe illustrator has a "align to key objects" button, but I could not find it in the affinity designer.
Another problem solved, Thank's

ai.gif

ps.gif

ad.gif

5991cb03ac7fd_Aligntokey.thumb.png.d4692d6b3e0c2e5a66dcc438cdc2f3ba.pngHi XiJu,

In version 1.5.3.69 (Windows) it is not possible to align objects by key object.

In version 1.6.0.79 (Beta), you have several alignment options by clicking the "Arrange" button in the top bar and then expanding the drop-down menu next to "Align to". Once you have made your choice, do not forget to click on "OK" at the bottom of the window

Cordially.

8 hours ago, reglico said:

In version 1.5.3.69 (Windows) it is not possible to align objects by key object.

In version 1.6.0.79 (Beta), you have several alignment options by clicking the "Arrange" button in the top bar and then expanding the drop-down menu next to "Align to". Once you have made your choice, do not forget to click on "OK" at the bottom of the window

Cordially.

I like it, expect it to come.

• 7 months later...

Is there a way to click on the first object, then drag select several other objects? I tried clicking on the first object, then click+drag, but it unselects the original object. I then tried "SHIFT+OPTION+Drag" and still nothing. It is time consuming to have to click each object individually. Also, I noticed I have to press "Shift"+Click on individual objects rather than "Command"+Click.

In God's Harmony

Press Shift and drag.

Incidentally, if you press shift, start to drag the selection marquee then press the right mouse button (keeping both mouse buttons down), it will select objects the marquee just touches (rather than completely surrounds). You must release the left mouse button first!

You can also press left then right mouse buttons (no shift) to drag select several objects the marquee just touches to save selecting one object first and pressing shift. Just remember to release the left mouse button first.

Clicking on the key object and then Shift-dragging a marquee around the remaining objects should do what you want. Alternatively, you could drag a marquee around the non-key objects and then Shift-click on the key object.

Align to ‘First Selected’ or ‘Last Selected’, as appropriate.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks to you both. I was mistakenly dragging over the first selected object while attempting to drag the marquee over the others. "Shift"+ drag worked.

Toltec: Thanks for the steps, but I don't use a mouse, I use the Magic Trackpad. Haven't figured out how to achieve what you described with the Magic Trackpad.

Alfred: Thank you also for the procedures.

In God's Harmony

1 hour ago, roddy said:

Toltec: Thanks for the steps, but I don't use a mouse, I use the Magic Trackpad. Haven't figured out how to achieve what you described with the Magic Trackpad.

Alfred: Thank you also for the procedures.

Ah, that is a shortcut for this option in preferences.

select.jpg.cd34800b0666363ff22309949c22a630.jpg

If you wanted to select multiple items like that, you would have to set it in preferences. It is useful sometimes.

6 hours ago, toltec said:

Ah, that is a shortcut for this option in preferences.

select.jpg.cd34800b0666363ff22309949c22a630.jpg

If you wanted to select multiple items like that, you would have to set it in preferences. It is useful sometimes.

Thanks for the "Preferences" selection.

In God's Harmony

1 hour ago, owenr said:

toltec's instructions were for the Windows app, but we don't need to use a cumbersome two-button manoeuvre or change the selection marquee preference with the macOS app. You can definitely do what you require with a Magic Trackpad; I'm using a MT2 at this moment.

Holding down ctrl after starting a marquee drag will toggle the selection mode to include objects that the marquee crosses in addition to objects that it surrounds.

You have one object selected, so hold down shift and start dragging from an empty space on or outside the canvas, then hold down ctrl to toggle the selection mode so that objects being crossed by the marquee or enclosed by the marquee will be added to the selection.

owenr,

That worked great!

In God's Harmony

I want to thank all of you for responding so quickly to help. If it is not to much to ask, I posted a question about "alignments" in another thread, but haven't received a response. If any of you know the solution, if there is one, here is the link to my question: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/53139-center-object-inside-another-object-horizontal-and-vertical/

My question is:

"Is there a way to align vertically and horizontally simultaneously? I'd like to be able to center text to an object selected in just one step if possible. As of now, I can only do one at a time.

Also, I've been searching for a way to copy an object or text, then click on any part of my document hoping that when I select "paste" it will paste to where I last clicked my cursor. It only pastes onto the copied object (paste in place) instead. In other applications, I'm able to paste where I have clicked my cursor onto. Is this possible in Affinity Designer?"

In God's Harmony

• 8 months later...
On 8/15/2017 at 2:39 AM, XiJu said:

I like it, expect it to come.

Hello,

I am on Affinity Designer 1.6.5 and I still don't like how this feature is implemented.
It is not intuitive to click the detailed menu to align to a "base object" and the "quick menu" still ignores the settings and uses a different type of alignement. 

Maybe you should take a closer peek on how this feature is implemented on Adobe Illustrator (I can set a prefered alignement mode in the menu bar). As a designer I don't want to click 3 times everytime I want to align an object to a key object.

ad-align.png

Hi, Genscher,

Seems to me you want something that should be called "center on object," not align. Put in a request, and if enough people ask, from what I understand, it will be prioritized.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 9 months later...
On 12/11/2018 at 4:41 PM, Genscher said:

Hello,

I am on Affinity Designer 1.6.5 and I still don't like how this feature is implemented.
It is not intuitive to click the detailed menu to align to a "base object" and the "quick menu" still ignores the settings and uses a different type of alignement. 

Maybe you should take a closer peek on how this feature is implemented on Adobe Illustrator (I can set a prefered alignement mode in the menu bar). As a designer I don't want to click 3 times everytime I want to align an object to a key object.

ad-align.png

Hi - I completely agree Genscher - why can't the quick menu (or indeed the separated align items on the toolbar) do the same thing as that selected in the detail menu? I agree that three clicks makes a difference. Is there a solution to this?

Edward 

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, Guest said:

Cordially.

Nifty functionality, i.e., aligning by first/last selected object.