You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corner Tool seems to fail beyond 5 corners

I was trying to smooth the corners of a hexagon by selecting all corners and applying the cornering tool. I noticed that the behaviour was not consistent for all 6 corners. For 5 out of 6 (or 8, which i also tested) the cornering is consistent. For the remaining corner(s) the radius is only partially applied. I've attached some images to show what i mean (in the hexagon, the bottom left corner has a smaller radius, in the octagon three corners have a smaller radius).

AD 1.6 Beta 6 (oops, i just noticed that i posted this in the wrong category)

C-57.png

C-58.png

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

From your example, it looks like the bottom left point is not equally positioned with the other points. Unfortunately, I'm not getting the same result. Are you rounding the corners all at the same time or individually?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Bri-Toon. Thanks for trying to help.

My steps:

• Create a Pentagon using the Polygon tool
  • Increase the number of corners/sides from 5 to 6
  • Select the Corner tool
  • Select all corners
  • Apply the rounding using the Tool options bar

In the meantime, i've noticed that, even when i keep the Pentagon, one of the corners (the top corner) remains sharp despite being selected. Image attached.

C-59.png

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

The reason I wasn't facing this issue is because I didn't realize a new beta launched yesterday. You said 6, but I can't always keep track of the number. I installed the latest version, and for me, I can't even get the radius pass .02 inches. It looks like this is a new bug. You should post this in the beta topic so MattP sees this.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

For comparison: This bug is not present in the current Windows Beta (1.6.0.79)

However whilst playing I did notice that...

Using the corner tool on a polygon converts it to a curve, without warning the user. This means you loose the abilities of the Polygon Shape tool  to curve the edges.

The same applies to all the other shape tools (eg Tear) - as soon as I use the corner tool I can no longer adjust the 3 parameter of a teardrop.

Is this a bug, or by design, or a design limitation?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

57 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

For comparison: This bug is not present in the current Windows Beta (1.6.0.79)

However whilst playing I did notice that...

Using the corner tool on a polygon converts it to a curve, without warning the user.

I noticed the same thing. Whilst I can understand such a limitation being imposed, I think there should be a warning about this behaviour.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Alfred, 

I've now added a comment in Designer help that states..

"Applying a rounded corner to a shape created with any of Affinity's Shape tools will convert that shape to curves. From that point, you won't be able to make use of the Shape tool's inherent 'morphing' behaviour."

@acapstick Thanks for the improvement to the documentation.

I wonder whether the Assistant should also inform the user that the Shape has been Converted to Curves?

This message would help users who weren't pouring through the help files.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.