GReddy

iPad Air 2 crashing during noise reduction

Hello,

I am using an iPad Air 2 64GB and plan to move my RAW workflow from my PC to my iPad. Unfortunately my iPad struggles as soon as I use the noise reduction filter in the Photo Persona. After several crashes I tried to return to the Develop Persona (I am processing RAW files) but without success, since the app crashes there, too.

So the steps I do are:

1. Apply the filter on the pixel layer (Photo Persona)
  2. Zoom in to get a closer look on darker areas of the photo which contain noise
  3. Use the "Before/After"-Splitscreen to get an immediate look at the results
  4. Apply some adjustments to the filter

After some adjustments the app crashes. The noise reduction also applies a little slow, but I can come to terms with that since I am using an older iPad with less CPU power.

And for some more background information: I am using a Nikon D5300 and I mostly process the .NEF files of it, which get spoted via iCloud Drive and Photos app without a problem. Maybe I should add that I am currently using the iOS11 Beta build 4...But I had problems like that with iOS10, too, but it didn't matter at that time since I was only trying to process some test shots at the beginning.

I was looking for a similar topic on the web and via the forum search but couldn't find anything like it, so I suggested starting a new topic is okay.

Thank you!

Maybe you are a good candidate for participating in the beta test of AP for iPad.

its really easy and is described here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41764-affinity-photo-for-ipad-customer-beta/

AP for iPad 1.6.5.61  on (latest) iOS 11.0.3 on iPad Pro 12,9“ (2015) with Apple Pencil- AD Mac official - AP Mac official

eagerly awaiting AD for iPad :-)I

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't aware of a beta program and am definately interested in participating, since I think that not many people with an older / slower iPad are using AP on iPad to get their RAW workflow done...

GReddy

FWIW

I am also using Air 2 and have just tried the noise reduction filter myself for the first time just to see if I could reproduce what you are seeing and although I could not get it to crash I do agree it is a pretty laggy taking some 4 or 5 seconds for each adjustment to take effect, and about two or three seconds to undo, but it also took what seemed like forever to complete once I had finished and hit the ok tick to apply the change, so long that I thought it had hung but it did eventually come back in the end and I was able to then add some other adjustments and filters and then export the edited photo ok.

The file I used was a 24Mp .ARW raw file from Sony A77 which was fairly noisy to begin with and this is what I did:

Note I first tried the noise reduction adjustment in the develop persona on the RAW file which was also pretty laggy, then I hit develop and did pretty much as you described above in the Photo Persona.

I do get the occasional crash but it seems to never be the same thing twice, the last time it crashed I was simply undoing changes via the history studio but on the whole it appears to be just about usable for me at the moment on the Air 2 but if the beta version is an improvement over 1.6.3 then I might just give it a go myself.

OK so I tried this two more times and it crashed on third attempt, this time I had masked the background though using the smart select tool and was attempting to apply noise reduction to background only and as soon as I zoomed in and made the adjustment it crashed.

Hi,

Thanks for taking a look into this, too. I really appreciate the help! I have thought about the issue again and don‘t think it‘s a RAM issue or hardware issue in general. Since the Pro 10,5 and 9,7 also have only 2GB of RAM and AP seems to run alot better on them.

But I have to say the storage space on my iPad is nearing it‘s limit. I have less then 8 GB of free space left. Plus I am using iOS 11 beta build 4 ... Now I am not aware of how iOS handles less free space nowadays, but it might be worth mentioning. 

My .NEF files are about 21-22 MB size. Though I don‘t know how the different RAW files are being handled by AP. 

Thank you!

Hi guys,

I was having a play with Noise Reduction earlier and noticed it was taking up to a minute on a 12.9" Pro when maxing out the sliders to 100%. The image I used was about 60mb, so quite big. I noticed that occasionally there was no feedback to tell me that a noise reduction was in process and I thought it had frozen.

After doing this 4 or 5 times I didn't get a single crash, so I tested it on a smaller 9.7" iPad and got similar results. No crashing but slightly longer to complete the noise reduction. As mentioned above, it seems random as I have had crashes in the past but as far as I know, there was a memory leak causing crashes in a previous build. 

Yes I played with this again today but could not get it to crash this time so seems intermittent, hope this is a bug and not iPad Air related as don't really want to have to shell out over £600 just to run this app. 

It more than likely is a performance optimisation issue. We want to get the app running as best we can on all the iPad's that we support. So please keep feeding back so we can stay on top of it. Cheers :)

Thanks again for testing this out with me!

I have downloaded the most recent build via TestFlight and it seems that the mentioned issues are taken care of. However I will update you guys on that as soon as I get some time to thoroughly test more files. 

Great community and support, guys. I really appreciate it. 

Just updated to ver1.6.4 on my iPad Air 2 and it seems like they fixed a lot of stuff in this release.

I tried noise reduction in both develop and photo personas a number of times and it didn't crash once and the response is so much better as it is with things like in painting which used to be really slow but is now pretty good, also smart select and refine which I found to be to be totally unusable before is now working great!

Well done Serif good work much appreciated.

That's good news. The iPad team are pretty hot on fixing stuff at the moment so if you find anything else in the beta or release (if you go back to it) please let us know! 

On 8/12/2017 at 7:53 PM, GReddy said:

I have thought about the issue again and don‘t think it‘s a RAM issue or hardware issue in general. Since the Pro 10,5 and 9,7 also have only 2GB of RAM and AP seems to run alot better on them.

Just to clarify, the 10.5 has 4GB of RAM, as does the new 12.9. I think this is a RAM and processor issue as the Air 2 is at the bottom of the specs that they support. I was even having slow performance sometime on last year's 9.7 Pro, which is part of why I upgraded to a 2017 12.9. If you like and need this software, it is definitely worth upgrading the hardware. This software, along with the new Pro have all but allowed me to abandon Capture One and AP on the desktop...almost

iPad Pro 12.9 3rd Gen/Mac Mini, in that order