KiheiMan

Can't load SVG

12 posts in this topic

When I try to open this SVG, AD takes forever and so long that it appears to hang. I don't have the patience to wait more than a few minutes to open an SVG file that is barely more than 100KB. Can you look at it and tell me what is wrong?

The SVG is created by Open Badge Factory. You can go there, get a free account and make a badge yourself so that you can possibly get more insight.

smart-water-saver.svg

Oh, forgot to mention that it is consuming a ton of Windows 10 CPU and Memory - see attached. And, yes, I have the latest AD release.

2017-08-11_12-12-57.png

Nasty little SVG.

I don't know if AD can open an SVG that has an embedded WOFF font in it. It should discard that section if it cannot read that format. I can get it into AD with some heavy-handed editing of the file that goes beyond just removing the embedded font.

Can that web site export as a PDF?

Untitled-1.afdesign

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks for trying Mike. No, SVG is the only option. The reason I wanted to bring it in to AD is to convert it to PNG. They say PNG is up for discussion.

You're welcome. 

Download and install InkScape. It will open them fine. I didn't try to remove the embedded font in it and resave, but just resaving simply retains the embedded font and AD doesn't like it still. You may be able to change the font to avoid the issue but I didn't try that either. InkScape will export the png fine, though. 

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

How ironic. Before I joined the Windows AD beta, I had been using InkScape and CorelDraw. AD blew me away and I had uninstalled both after purchasing it when it was released!

I'll install InkScape in a few days and see it work. Thanks again Mike for a good workaround until the folks at Affinity can do something to fix the problem.

I so hate to use InkScape.

But I have to when designing SVG assets. It is the only thing it does well--it creates great SVG code that, well, is the standard. I'll design in something else every time, but eventually assets that I need in SVG format end up in InkScape for any modification/additions and the final save. (Kinda how I use AI as well.)

It does handle that SVG sample. So it will likely do so with whatever else you generate. One possibility would be to see if an SVG from that web site with no text would import into AD. If so, that's how I would use the web site, then finish off in AD with the text...and possibly the blurs. AD may not like them either. But both those things, the text and effects, are so easy in AD I would see if the primitive shapes can be exported from the web site and then finish in AD. Just a thought if you are into experimenting.

Mike

In this case, changing anything Open Badge Factory produces is not an option. If you read more about what open badges are, they are a means of recognition in any application. Typically online communities, idea exchange...stuff like that. There is a connection between Factory and repositories such as Mozilla Backup and Open Badge Passport so anything you change locally won't work. The better option is to design your own and then upload them to Factory (which they allow you to do as a PNG). The convenience and consistency of them generating one is tough to overcome. If you have the skill, ultimately making your own is a better option and that would be my plan down the line, but for now I have to let them make it while I prototype (we always have to decide where our time is best spent).

On 8/11/2017 at 8:10 PM, KiheiMan said:

When I try to open this SVG, AD takes forever and so long that it appears to hang. I don't have the patience to wait more than a few minutes to open an SVG file that is barely more than 100KB. Can you look at it and tell me what is wrong?

The SVG is created by Open Badge Factory. You can go there, get a free account and make a badge yourself so that you can possibly get more insight.

smart-water-saver.svg

Thanks for the file - I'll get it passed on to development to see if we can do anything better when opening. However I will say that both Inkscape and Illustrator fail to open the SVG correctly. Inkscape is missing the S of Smart and the R of Saver, and the drop is also missing the blue colouring. Illustrator fails to display the drop shadow, the text looks incorrect and the water drop is also the wrong colour.

I presume you have the font installed? As I don't have it, it is failing to read the embedded font from the SVG. Not only that but as I meantioned the water droplet colour appears different in Firefox, Chrome and IE - leading me to presume it was also incorrect. Attached is a screenshot of what I currently get using Inkscape 0.91.

Inkscape.png

You raise a good point. The water drop should have been blue and it is black in InkScape. The font comes out different as well (Oswald, which I don't think was the font used). I only trust Chrome to be correct or not as, whether I like it or not, that is the browser most widely supported and the one that usually works best. FF is a close second, but still not first.

The minor issues of color and font can be easily changed and that is the point of AD bringing it in as correctly as possible. Most programs will just replace a font with some kind of algorithm for a smart match -- at least that's what Adobe and Microsoft do.

If AD would just load fast and roughly correctly, it will have done its job. That's what I am hoping development will fix.