You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize all layers in a group (Designer)

• Staff

Hi Bungle.

If there's frame text layers in the group you must use the lowest bottom right handle (the one that's detached from the group bounding box) to resize everything keeping their proportions.

Currently it's not possible to scale objects in a group independently from each other keeping their relative positions - they all will be scaled as a single object.

Its only a circle with a square, nothing special, but it all moves out of place, Oh FFS, just loaded up AD and redid the group, it works perfectly grrrrr, will save the file next time it happens (Has happened before, thats why i assumed it was normal)

• 1 year later...

Many of the shapes in your file have corners defined by the Corner Tool. These are specified as an absolute size (like 0.125in) and hence they are not scaling as the shape is resized. This changes the shapes such that they no longer line up.

Easy fix… select all the shapes, and then using the Corner Tool > Bake Corners.

Will now resize just fine.

A better fix would be for Affinity to upgrade the Corner Tool so that radii can be specified as a percentage, which will scale with the object.

See…

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

1 hour ago, Aammppaa said:

A better fix would be for Affinity to upgrade the Corner Tool so that radii can be specified as a percentage, which will scale with the object.

That sounds simple enough, but how would you decide what the corner percentage radius for each of the nodes of an irregular shape like this one should be that would preserve its shape when scaled?
corners.jpg.741f7c8b17d77247091ffaaad35b83cf.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It is a good question.

In the rounded rectangle tool (where percentages already exist as an option) the percentage seems to relate to length of the shortest side. Obviously this will not work for an irregular shape.

I guess that the units aren't what is important here. The desired function is that the corner scales and remains editable with the corner tool.

So if my corner initially has a radius of 5mm I should be able to tick a box to Scale with Shape (just as I can in Stroke and Effects Panels). Then when a resize occurs, the radius is simply recalculated relative to the amount of rescaling. If I increase the size of the shape by 3.456% then the radius is also increased by 3.456%.

That would work wouldn't it?

And if I want an absolute radius, we just retain the bahaviour as it currently exists.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

5 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

So if my corner initially has a radius of 5mm I should be able to tick a box to Scale with Shape (just as I can in Stroke and Effects Panels). Then when a resize occurs, the radius is simply recalculated relative to the amount of rescaling. If I increase the size of the shape by 3.456% then the radius is also increased by 3.456%.

That would work wouldn't it?

It sounds like that should work but it could get complicated if (as some users are almost certain to request) that this option should be available on a per node basis, so some node radii could scaled by percent while others retain their absolute radii.

Still, the all or none option would be useful, so if it has not already been requested, maybe you should add that to the feature request forum....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7