You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Total editing capability

Hello, excuse my English is translated

I bought the iPad App from Affinity Photo.
My iPad is iPad Pro 12 inch first version.
And I also bought Affinity Designer for Windows.
So far I have managed to do what I have needed using techniques learned about photoshop and illustrator, and I am constantly learning with the magnificent Affinity tutorials.
My question is? Do I need to purchase the desktop version of Affinity Photo for Windows, or can I do exactly the same from the iOS version? I read that they have the same backend and have been built with the same needs.
Can I combine Affinity Designer for Windows and Affinity Photo for iPad to have a good graphic design ecosystem?
I hope I can respond from a technical and professional point of view and not with the intention of selling your product. I am sure and aware that to this day is the best option to leave behind our old friend of Adobe.
Greetings to all.

• Staff

You can edit your photos on the iOS version without having the desktop version of Photo, there are some differences between the iPad and desktop mainly being the iPad uses the Apple RAW studio to import RAW files and there is no macro support but the core photo editing is the same. You can open your Designer .afdesign files with the iOS Photo and you can also open the .afphoto file created on the iPad with Designer

Hello DWright,
I truly appreciate your response, it has been right for me.
Being only these differences, I think I can work with both applications without needing "for now" the desktop version of Photo. And more if I can work between both to complement my designs.
I think it is a very powerful software with a constant development. I congratulate the whole affinity team and hope to continue this way.
Regards!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,
I'll tell you what happened to me. In the end I bought Designer for OS X and Photo for iOS.
From Photo I can open ". afdesign" without problems but from Designer I can't open ". afphoto", I'll pass you the error that comes out.

Captura de pantalla 2017-08-29 17.15.07.png

Affinity Photo for iPad is at version 1.6, but the 1.6 retail versions of Designer and Photo on Mac and Windows haven't been released yet. The 1.5 versions cannot open files saved from the 1.6 versions, so in order to open your files on your OS X machine you would need to install the customer beta of Designer 1.6 alongside the purchased version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred, thank you for your response.

Okay, I get why I can't read the file.
However, as a person in love with this new design ecosystem "AD and AF", they should always work together in stable versions. Whether under development or not, both versions must communicate with each other, and for advanced users and developers there are beta versions.
It's just my opinion and I'm still just as happy to discover Affinity.

• Staff

Hi Miltrin,
We always try to keep feature parity between the retail apps when possible, but due to some constraints during dev/launch of the iPad version they are not currently synced. Everything should get back on track as soon as we launch the desktop versions (1.6).