You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please help. I don't understand why this is so hard. It's probably because I don't know what I'm doing let alone being familiar with AP's interface.

I have a normal layer. I want to use it as a mask. I don't want to create a new layer mask underneath this layer, no. I want to TURN this layer into a MASK layer.

I don't know why this is so difficult, but I'm pulling my frigging hair out trying to figure out how to do this one simple task. I dont want to draw my own mask layer, I want to use a portion of an image, which I've turned into greyscale to act as my mask.

Thank you.

Hi all,

Love you guys for replying. The "Rasterise to Mask" option is invalid (greyed out).
Also, it might help to note that the layer I've created (i.e. the snippet of the photo) has a mask associated with it. How do I delete just the mask, and is that the reason why the Rasterise to Mask option is blanked out?

Wait, hang on. A new problem has emerged... the mask layer (the one containing the grey scaled image snippet) is totally invisible. I unticked all the layers with only that mask layer ticked, and all I see is the checkered transparent background. How do I see the contents of the mask layer again so I can edit it?

16 minutes ago, MEB said:

Press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and click the mask's thumbnail in the layer's panel to edit it as a greyscale image.

Thanks. That definitely worked.

I hate to keep bombarding you, but I feel like I'm about to smash my computer with a baseball bat soon. I appreciate AP's nature of doing everything in a non-destructive manner, but this is really affecting my productivity here. So trying to edit the mask layer, it turns out I don't like the exposure and I want to wash it out more by adjusting the brightness/contrast. So having no option to directly tweek the mask layer (i.e. the black and white image), all I could do was to create a brightness/contrast adjustment layer underneath the mask layer.

Now I have the following problem:
- If I hold option and click the mask layer, I see the grey scale image I want to edit, but I lose the brightness/contrast adjustment dialog.
- If I double click the brightness/contrast adjustment layer, I get the dialog box back up, but I lose the view of my mask.

ARGHHHHH!!!! Why is this so difficult??? I need a way to see that greyscaled mask image WHILE using the brightness/contrast adjustment dialog!

... is there actually a solution to this, or is this a bug?

Is it a problem with my technique? Are my expectations too high? Is there a genuine defficiency with the tool itself? I can't believe it can be so bloody hard!!

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi st87,

Currently it's not possible to apply an adjustment while seeing the mask as a greyscale image. I believe we will see improvements here in future versions but for now this is how it works.

Thanks MEB. I really appreciate your honest response. Overall, I have wasted an hour of hair pulling over this; more so had you not come back to tell me that I'm chasing a carrot that didn't exist.

I then went back to Photoshop and did everything I wanted in under 10 mins.
Please pass this over to the development team.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have a solution that worked for me

1. Create a copy of the background layer or your main image

2. clic on layer rasterize to mask

3.insert the new layer mask into the adjustment layer you want for example curves,

if you want to edit the layer mask without the problem you mentioned before do this:

5.take the layer mask out its position and put it above the main picture or background picture

6. create an adjustment layer like curves and drag it to child layer position in the mask and go to the channels of the layer and select alpha

7. the layer mask in this state shows parts of the image (white or shown areas) and the other parts are with squares (or black areas)

8. when you move the alpha channel you are modifying the squares in the mask showing more or less in the mask

9. drag the mask layer into original adjustment layer

this is very large process but for me is acceptable right now

edit_mask.mp4