You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help choosing a new computer

I am new to photo editing and started with Affinity Photo in February, Windows version. A week ago my computer crashed and I need a new (to me)computer. The old computer worked with AP, perhaps a little slow at times but that wasn't a problem. I don't have the system information on that computer, it had 8gb of ram and was a refurbished desktop, I'd like to replace it with another refurbished desktop.

I've searched this forum and the internet trying to find what I should look for in a computer with Affinity Photo in mind. I am an amateur without a technical background but love learning. I don't need and can't afford a top of the line computer but I would like more than adequate. I think AP will be the most demanding program I'll use on this computer. It looks like I need at least 8gb of ram, but beyond that all the choices available are confusing, it does look like a particular graphics card is not needed. Any help with guidelines on choosing  a AP friendly computer would be much appreciated.

Ann

I'd suggest more physical memory. I'm a casual user, and I've hit my 8 Gb limit once, and so obtained  more.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

3 hours ago, AnnH said:

I am new to photo editing and started with Affinity Photo in February, Windows version. A week ago my computer crashed and I need a new (to me)computer. The old computer worked with AP, perhaps a little slow at times but that wasn't a problem. I don't have the system information on that computer, it had 8gb of ram and was a refurbished desktop, I'd like to replace it with another refurbished desktop.

I've searched this forum and the internet trying to find what I should look for in a computer with Affinity Photo in mind. I am an amateur without a technical background but love learning. I don't need and can't afford a top of the line computer but I would like more than adequate. I think AP will be the most demanding program I'll use on this computer. It looks like I need at least 8gb of ram, but beyond that all the choices available are confusing, it does look like a particular graphics card is not needed. Any help with guidelines on choosing  a AP friendly computer would be much appreciated.

Ann

I have an elderly i3 with 8 gb running Windows 7 and a new i7 with 8 gb running windows 10

Affinity runs fine on both but I suspect Windows 10 would slow down the i3 quite a bit.

I would suggest something like an i5 with 8gb if you can afford it. An i3 with 8gb if you can't.

You can always add more RAM if you need later

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, gdenby said:

I'd suggest more physical memory. I'm a casual user, and I've hit my 8 Gb limit once, and so obtained  more.

I totally agree. Start with 16GB, better for Windows, better for Affinity Photo. AP (or AD) doesn't much use a graphics card but does use memory. And a faster type of memory is better than a slower type (not easy to check model nos on memory and compare which ones are faster than others). If you decide to use other graphics pgms along with Affinity, you will find that they will take advantage of a graphics card - but if they are not essential/critical, you will still be happy without a graphics card. (Hope that makes sense.)

My bottom line: More (& faster) memory + multi-core CPU + good display would be top 3 considerations for Affinity apps.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Coincidentally Ann, we have been researching the same thing for a good friend of ours.  As I understand it, Affinity is somewhat comparable with Photoshop in this regard, but more efficient in its use, probably because it is a younger program.   The processor is the first consideration, I hope we have dissuaded our friend from an i7, which is overkill.  An i5 will be quite sufficient, provided it is quad-core.

jer, above post, suggests start with 16 Gigs of RAM, but then he may be more demanding of what he needs.  In general, I would say 8 Gigs would be fine.  Ideally, find a machine where there is an additional spare slot where you can add 8 more Gig of RAM later if necessary. 

Good point about the display.  Ideally an IPS screen, so that no matter from what angle you view the image, it is not affected.  I have only a TN monitor (sob).  However if I look square on to the monitor it is okay and that is what I generally do.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology