You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.0.79

4 hours ago, verysame said:

Same here,

Unfortunately, this beta is a regression. It takes forever (something from 2 to 3 minutes or so) to launch and same as Neubiberg, a lot to load RAW files (in my case, Fuji RAF).

P.S. The installer should have warned me: it took a lot to complete the setup, first time with the Affinity's installers.

Betas will always start more slowly than the release version, as we have extra checks at startup. Are you referring to slower speeds compared to previous beta, or compared to released version?

RAW loading should be faster (as an example, I have a 22MB CR2 file I used for testing the improvements, the original load time was 10 seconds, it's now down to 6 seconds on my machine).

Installer shouldn't be affected.

17 hours ago, moxstudios said:

Hi I want to report that in the lastes beta the UI is unresponsive in surface pro 3

Im using Microsoft Windows 10 pro

Affinity Photo 8_10_2017 10_11_22 AM.mov

Hi, nothing has changed in the UI that would make it suddenly get slower. Perhaps it's another software change on your machine? Have you installed any updates? Graphics card driver updates? Is this from just starting the application, or had you been working on a document previous to the recording? 

Can you try running with the following command line option and see if it makes a difference? You will need to make a shortcut to the application, and add the command line option to the shortcut.

--no-hw-ui

Does that make a difference?

Earlier beta was faster. However, it was still very slow (opening the software and opening the RAW (NEF) files, which is VERY slow, the software is not ready for Windows 10 computers yet. The information about the opening of RAW files in 10, 6 seconds are not real!

2 minutes ago, Neubiberg said:
Earlier beta was faster. However, it was still very slow (opening the software and opening the RAW (NEF) files, which is VERY slow, the software is not ready for Windows 10 computers yet. The information about the opening of RAW files in 10, 6 seconds are not real!

I'm the lead dev on Windows, so when I say that the 22MB CR2 file improved from 10s -> 6s, I can assure you, those numbers are real. Also, my machine is Windows 10, so I wouldn't say that it's "not ready for Windows 10 computers yet".

Can you provide timings of the earlier beta, compared to the current beta? Can you record a video of the two starting up so that we can compare? Have you installed any software in between the old beta and the new beta? Can you attach the log file in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\Log.txt?

Hi Mark,
In beta version 66 the aperture (NEFF file 6000x4000 px) took 37 seconds. In version 74 it was 18 seconds. Now (in version 79) it is 67 seconds!
In the attachment I send the desired file.
I am one of the first to have already in the Windows test sodware. Hopeful! I keep my fingers crossed for further development this is interesting softeware!
Unfortunately, the state of Affinity Photo on a Windows 10 per computer (concerning start times and also the opening hours of RAW files are very dissatisfied!) I also solve this from other colleagues in the Affinity forum,  On my computer running C1 version 10 Pro and also LR6 without Problems and very fast ...

Log.txt

52 minutes ago, Neubiberg said:

Hi Mark,
In beta version 66 the aperture (NEFF file 6000x4000 px) took 37 seconds. In version 74 it was 18 seconds. Now (in version 79) it is 67 seconds!
In the attachment I send the desired file.
I am one of the first to have already in the Windows test sodware. Hopeful! I keep my fingers crossed for further development this is interesting softeware!
Unfortunately, the state of Affinity Photo on a Windows 10 per computer (concerning start times and also the opening hours of RAW files are very dissatisfied!) I also solve this from other colleagues in the Affinity forum,  On my computer running C1 version 10 Pro and also LR6 without Problems and very fast ...

Log.txt

Hi, could you upload the NEF file you're using, so that we can try it here?

18 seconds for me with a 5792x8688 Canon 5DsR file or the same for a Fuji (X-Trans) 4934x3296

Seems to be the same as the last Beta and there isn't a difference between the NVIDIA/Intel GPU's

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

@Neubigerg

Opens in 10 seconds on my Windows 8 PC using latest beta

62 seconds on my Win 10 PC (running released version 1.5)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

My Fujifilm RAF Files opens in 

33 seconds on Windows 10 using v.1.5.2.69

25 seconds on Windows 10 using v.1.6.0.76
25 seconds on Windows 10 using v.1.6.0.79 (but drag and drop into AP don't work anymore)

there is an improvement over v1.5, but its still not good.

I've attached a RAF File for some tests for you guys

DSCF0396.RAF

10 minutes ago, Hofnaar said:

25 seconds on Windows 10 using v.1.6.0.79 (but drag and drop into AP don't work anymore)

there is an improvement over v1.5, but its still not good.

I've attached a RAF File for some tests for you guys

DSCF0396.RAF

17 seconds on Windows 10 using beta 1.6.0.79 (until appearing in Develop Persona)
17 seconds on Windows 10 using 1.5.2.69 (until appearing in Develop Persona)
(4 seconds on Windows 10 using Adobe CS 6 until opening in Camera Raw 9.1.1)

I agree, drag/drop into AP does not work.

On my quite basic Win 10 system...

A 28 Mb CR2 file opens in 24 secs in 1.5 and 14 secs in beta 79. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, Hofnaar said:

Is DR200/DR400 supported in betas yet?

7 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Betas will always start more slowly than the release version, as we have extra checks at startup. Are you referring to slower speeds compared to previous beta, or compared to released version?

RAW loading should be faster (as an example, I have a 22MB CR2 file I used for testing the improvements, the original load time was 10 seconds, it's now down to 6 seconds on my machine).

Betas proved to open generally faster here.

I'm comparing to the previous beta, which now I have installed again as the current one is really unusable for me.

The installer was definitely taking a lot of time.

I wish i could load raw files as fast as on your side, Mark. This weekend I think I will screen cap a session to show what I mean.

One more thing: are you loading the raw file from a SSD drive?

Best

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Just started to play around with the Beta.
Not sure if those are wanted parts, but:
1) Drag and drop from my Windows File explorer does not work any more.. This would be very bad if this is not working anymore.

2) Plugin Vivenza 2 is still not working

3) With the Develop / Raw presents, the white balance is still not taken in account for a preset. It's still ignored.
4) Setting and profiles from v1.5 are not taken in V1.6. (Manually? or Redo?)
Using i7 5775 Core 3,2GHz. I did not really noticed performance differences up to now. But I will play around some more with it.

Total non-tech person here, but when comparing the same photo in 1.5 and this Beta, the colour in Beta has gone weird and there is clear banding- as though its down to very few bit colour. I guess related to the colour problems others have mentioned. The navigator view looks OK, but then that's small.  The histogram has also gone weird.  In 1.5 it's nice and solid - in Beta its like a series of vertical lines as though the depth of colour has gone.

Samething here, picker in Curve adjustment does not work, and the "pink" is back on too bright or overblown highlight areas.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

6 hours ago, AlainP said:

Samething here, picker in Curve adjustment does not work, and the "pink" is back on too bright or overblown highlight areas.

I can confirm that, same here.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

Wrt a wish on the develop part;
(also not solved in Beta v1.6.0.79)
The exposure access Up and Down, go by steps of +1 and -1. 
For photo editing this is quite unusual because many will never under or over exposure with +1 and and -1 steps.
Better would be to have at least half exposures steps. (+ 0.15 EV instead of + 1 and - 1)
I expect these arrows to be fine adjustments as UX.  If possible the up- and down arrows should be possible for each singe increase of decrease step possible.
The current arrows for exposure are imo unusable at the moment. 

Render speed using Graphic cards:

I tested the rendering from the video card vs the processor.
Tested NVIDIA 940M, MSI AMD R9 380x and Intel integrated IRIS Pro graphics on a I7 5775R core (Gigabye Brick)
I hardly see any load added to be added to the graphic cards when images are rendering, processors instead are loaded very high in many case.
The rendering on the graphic cards are set.
Can you explain when de cards are being used for rendering? I thing some performance improvements can be done here.

Rendering.JPG

On 8/11/2017 at 1:10 AM, Mark Ingram said:

I managed to screen capture a couple of videos showing how long it takes the previous beta to launch.

I didn't record the timing with the current beta as I uninstalled, but it was way, way longer than what you'll see in the video, for both, launching Photo and loading the RAW file.

2017-08-11_22-49-54.mp4

2017-08-11_23-57-43.mp4

Andrew
-

17 hours ago, WMax70 said:

Can you explain when de cards are being used for rendering? I thing some performance improvements can be done here.

The graphics cards are used for displaying the document on screen, not for rendering the document's content. For the majority of people, changing the GPU will have no effect. It's mainly for laptop customers who would prefer to always use a low-powered GPU to save battery. Or for customers that experience rendering problems with one GPU, they can try another.