You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.0.79

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Photo version 1.5 was purchased.

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Added new Font Family control to match macOS version
  • Added support for Dials
  • Fixed JPEG failing to load reliably (getting stuck on 'Loading Document...')
  • Fixed colour profile loading to ensure all profiles are loaded despite earlier errors
  • Fixed crash when the GPU device is lost (this can happen when drivers are updated, or GPUs are switched, with technology such as NVIDIA Optimus)
  • Fixed failure to export as PDF when a document contains very small objects
  • Improved performance of UI elements on dialogs
  • Fixed printing colour profile conversion
  • Detect whether the application will crash due to applications such as RivaTuner injecting code into our application (and display a warning)
  • Fixed minor issues with HDR merge
  • Fixed rulers not drawing correctly in light UI
  • Fixed Text Style panel text being aliased
  • Added support for planar CMYK TIFF
  • Fixed exporting a multi-selection of overlapping objects with background, drawing with artefacts
  • Fixed Vignette artefact
  • Fixed slice matting reverting to None
  • Added progress when committing a refined selection
  • Improvements to Selection Refinement
  • Fixed crash when reading malformed TIFF files
  • Fixed white flash on start-up
  • Fixed Tab Stop values and Show Text in points
  • Removed matting of 'None' from jpeg slices
  • Added missing 'Make Global' option to Swatches panel
  • Changed Zoom panel appearance to match macOS version
  • Fixed alignment of colour swatches on Tools panel
  • Fixed cancelling the creation of an adjustment preset adding it regardless
  • Fixed deleting a macro not updating the library list
  • Removed Show Overlay button from Develop overlay tools context toolbar
  • Fixed precision on Equirectangular projection context toolbar
  • Fixed Develop Persona prompting to save when cancelling a develop session
  • Fixed crash when resizing documents or canvas to very small sizes
  • Fixed crash when removing the first or last lights
  • Fixed crash when attempting to zoom to a node which has zero size
  • Fixed crash when the highlighted blend mode is unhighlighted
  • Fixed crash when attempting to load any EPS file that will fail to load
  • Fixed slices not drawing correctly after zoom
  • Added missing Print dialog buttons
  • Added 'Open Stock URL' button
  • Fixed crash when dragging a compound layer
  • Fixed odd pixel rounding in the document view with some display scales
  • Fixed some issues with Photoshop plugins

Thanks Mark. Will let the forum know of any problems.

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

Hi Mark,

I have tried opening both .afphoto and .jpeg files in Beta 79, and this is the crash I get each time:

affinity beta 79 cannot open any files.JPG

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

When searching for a font you have to type exactly how the font is spelt. So if the font starts with a capital letter you have to type the capitol letter first. In the released version you can just type letters in lower or uppercase and the font will still be found, so this seems like a step backwards to me.

Also, fonts that start with a lower case letter are put at the end of the font drop down list, rather that alphabetically where you would expect to find them. 

(see attached screenshot of the "hillda" font.)

Otherwise, a much improved update to the Fonts section.

font.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi Mark,

1.0 and 1.0 (Beta) logs attached.

FWIW, same images open in 1.5 released no problem.

Log 1.5 Released.txt

Log Beta 79.txt

Thanks Dave, what about the %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports folder? After the crash, don't submit the crash report, and instead find the crash report in that folder, then upload it to the forum so I can take a look. If you submit the crash report it will delete the report after it's been uploaded, so we need to catch it before then.

Hi Mark,

This only happens with files in the MRU list. If I open a file directly from Open, and not Open Recent, it opens successfully. Thought I would try this and it worked.

If I edit a file, opened as above, close the file and try to re-open it through Open Recent, I get the same error. So this is only happening when opening a file through the MRU list.

Edited by Dave Quail
Updated info

I wasn't checking betas for some time, but I'm fixing my behaviour right now:

P1. The bug mentioned half year ago in topic 100% zoom clips off edge pixel is still here.

WYSIWYG aspect of image editors is quite important, so it would be great if someone finally tackled the problem.

P2. I'm baffled that simply zooming in and/or out the image a few or several times (most conveniently using Ctrl + mouse wheel) leads to freeze of AP, i.e. it's become unresponsive for about 5 seconds. (The used image is a simple one as in my post from above mentioned topic.)

I'm using AP beta version on other machine now (Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 4 GB RAM, GTX 460) than the one I used to work with release version (details in the footer), so it's not your top rig, but it's still ok for a lot of things, definitely including 200x200 images. ;)

Anyway, thanks for working on AP to make it even better. It's all really appreciated. Those pesky bugs are simply extremely annoying.

Affinity v2 suite [Designer 2.2.1.2075 | Photo 2.2.1.2075 | Publisher 2.2.1.2075]
NUC11PHKi7C [Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.8GHz, DDR4-3200 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2060] | 32UN880-B | Windows 11 Pro (10.0.22621)

Affinity v1 suite [Designer 1.10.6.1665 | Photo 1.10.6.1665 | Publisher 1.10.6.1665]
ThinkPad T430 (2344-56G) [Core i7 3520M @ 2.9GHz, DDR3-1600 8GB RAM, NVS 5400M] | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (6.1.7601)

9 minutes ago, fuffle said:

The Resize Document, Resize Canvas, Margins and Resize Pixel Art Document dialogs all have a dark offset (5px) background.

Agreed...same here

6 minutes ago, przemoc said:

P2. I'm baffled that simply zooming in and/or out the image a few or several times (most conveniently using Ctrl + mouse wheel) leads to freeze of AP, i.e. it's become unresponsive for about 5 seconds. (The used image is a simple one as in my post from above mentioned topic.)

Noticed that too.

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

• Staff
20 minutes ago, fuffle said:

The Resize Document, Resize Canvas, Margins and Resize Pixel Art Document dialogs all have a dark offset (5px) background.

Thanks for letting us know. I'll get it passed onto development!

• Staff
1 hour ago, carl123 said:

hen searching for a font you have to type exactly how the font is spelt. So if the font starts with a capital letter you have to type the capitol letter first. In the released version you can just type letters in lower or uppercase and the font will still be found, so this seems like a step backwards to me.

Thanks Carl,
I'll get this passed onto development also.

Since the last couple betas it seems like there is slight improvement with Wacom tables, but still have lags when starting drawing (not not every stroke but every second, third) as well as circles are very angular.

17 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for letting us know. I'll get it passed onto development!

Actually Sean after looking through the interface some more, it may be an all round drop shadow bug on many elements, the context toolbar has no drop shadow on the adjustment sliders.

Had to force kill the app opening a afphoto image and as I use ProPhotoRGB it seems as though there are issues with the display. You can see here the Navigator displays the image correctly but the file is displayed incorrectly in the image display. Note that the app had been at 98% CPU for many minutes before I had to kill the process:

Hang on Open.jpg

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Second is the same as previously reported in this thread with a display problem ... note that this happens no matter what display profile I use. You can see the difference between this Beta and the production ... note didn't happen in the last Beta: (note again the navigator displays correctly)

ColorIssue.jpg

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

FYI color preferences in both ...

ColorPreferences.jpg