You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.79

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Designer version 1.5 was purchased.

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Added new Font Family control to match macOS version
  • Added support for Dials
  • Fixed colour profile loading to ensure all profiles are loaded despite earlier errors
  • Fixed crash when the GPU device is lost (this can happen when drivers are updated, or GPUs are switched, with technology such as NVIDIA Optimus)
  • Fixed failure to export as PDF when a document contains very small objects
  • Improved performance of UI elements on dialogs
  • Fixed printing colour profile conversion
  • Detect whether the application will crash due to applications such as RivaTuner injecting code into our application (and display a warning)
  • Fixed rulers not drawing correctly in light UI
  • Fixed Text Style panel text being aliased
  • Added support for planar CMYK TIFF
  • Fixed exporting a multi-selection of overlapping objects with background, drawing with artefacts
  • Fixed slice matting reverting to None
  • Added progress when committing a refined selection
  • Improvements to Selection Refinement
  • Fixed crash when reading malformed TIFF files
  • Fixed white flash on start-up
  • Fixed Tab Stop values and Show Text in points
  • Removed matting of 'None' from jpeg slices
  • Fixed SVG import to work with scaled drawing
  • Added missing 'Make Global' option to Swatches panel
  • Changed Zoom panel appearance to match macOS version
  • Fixed alignment of colour swatches on Tools panel
  • Fixed crash expanding a symbol that contains an image inside a vector layer
  • Fixed cancelling the creation of an adjustment preset adding it regardless
  • Fixed crash when resizing documents or canvas to very small sizes
  • Fixed crash when attempting to zoom to a node which has zero size
  • Fixed crash when the highlighted blend mode is unhighlighted
  • Fixed crash when attempting to load any EPS file that will fail to load
  • Fixed crash when copying symbols with frame text
  • Fixed slices not drawing correctly after zoom
  • Added missing Print dialog buttons
  • Fixed crash when dragging a compound layer
  • Fixed odd pixel rounding in the document view with some display scales
  • Added Hide Layer / Show Layer menu items
  • Fixed duplicating artboards with symbols

Wow ! The fonts classification system is just wonderful ! :o:17_heart_eyes:

Would it be better if the search input was not case sensitive ?

It crash when I try to directly open a file.

Have a good day ! :)

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Uuups ... New Beta comes with a new document in pink(!)
Screenshot shows a text with the letter "E" in 50 Opacity on a "clean" layer ...
Am I'm doing something basic wrong?

598ae4ac35a9a_DesignerBetastartup.thumb.jpg.02b83b5a83d0b91fd78edc2c1dfe440e.jpg

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Hi there,  

I updated Affinity from the previous build but it now crashes with an unhandled error when

1) I open an affinity file from the previous version, or

2) if I copy and paste from the clipboard using New / Paste from clipboard.  The copied objects are from Inkscape v0.92.1

I tried to go back to the previous version 1.6.0.76 but the link points to the latest version.  How can I get the previous version?

Another substantial update....well done and thank you.... Mark and the team...

I like the new font controller:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Wiredframe said:

Thanks for the update. 

Unfortunately, when trying to open any of my files AD crashes. 

Unbenannt.png

Hi Wiredframe,

Does this happen if you choose from Open Recent, or does it also happen when using File > Open? Would you be able to attach your crash report from the following location please:

%appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports

4 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Wiredframe,

Does this happen if you choose from Open Recent, or does it also happen when using File > Open? Would you be able to attach your crash report from the following location please:

%appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports

It happens when I open from Recent files.

1 hour ago, simwhi said:

I tried to go back to the previous version 1.6.0.76 but the link points to the latest version.  How can I get the previous version?

I still have the installer of the previous version. If moderators don't see a problem, I could provide a link for it.

Best regards!

Thanks for the new version. Some notes:

1) Fixed duplicating artboards with symbols: great, seems to work fine now.

2) Added new Font Family control to match macOS version: looks great, but typing font names doesn't actually find the fonts. And the Used font list shows multiple copies of fonts (see image).

3) Drag and drop files onto the UI is broken.

Multiple fonts.png

• Staff
13 minutes ago, rubs said:

1) Fixed duplicating artboards with symbols: great, seems to work fine now.

2) Added new Font Family control to match macOS version: looks great, but typing font names doesn't actually find the fonts. And the Used font list shows multiple copies of fonts (see image).

3) Drag and drop files onto the UI is broken.

Multiple fonts.png

2. The searching is already with development but i'll log the Used list issue. It displays a separate entry for each font from that family you have used.

3. This is a known issue and with development.

25 minutes ago, Sean P said:

The searching is already with development but i'll log the Used list issue. It displays a separate entry for each font from that family you have used.

I believe that's a good thing, but the family variant should be displayed somehow. Otherwise it's just trial and error.

Thanks for answering! Ihope they fix the drag and drop for the next beta.

My font and shape renders are pixilated, they look terrible.  Also, with the shape selected as shown in this attachment, the colour wheel is not picking the correct colour. My shape is yellow while the picker has selected a green colour.

Please investigate and hopefully correct

Feedback.PNG

45 minutes ago, rubs said:

2) Added new Font Family control to match macOS version: looks great, but typing font names doesn't actually find the fonts.

Just so you know...

The font search is now case sensitive, so if searching for Arial you have to start with a capital letter A

Already reported in Affinity Photo 1.6.0.79 and logged to be looked at

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Just so you know...

The font search is now case sensitive, so if searching for Arial you have to start with a capital letter A

Already reported in Affinity Photo 1.6.0.79 and logged to be looked at

Yes... thanks for the tip, it works! Some dev forgot to turn off case-sensitivity :)

• Staff
9 minutes ago, dkibui said:

My font and shape renders are pixilated, they look terrible.  Also, with the shape selected as shown in this attachment, the colour wheel is not picking the correct colour. My shape is yellow while the picker has selected a green colour.

Please investigate and hopefully correct

Feedback.PNG

The shape isn't actually a yellowy/orange it is a green (as shown in the Layers Panel), however unfortunately there is a bug that is causing colours to be displayed wrong using non-sRGB colour profiles. As for the smoothing I believe it is an issue with Window's ClearType. Does it improve if you go through the ClearType process again?

14 minutes ago, Sean P said:

The shape isn't actually a yellowy/orange it is a green (as shown in the Layers Panel), however unfortunately there is a bug that is causing colours to be displayed wrong using non-sRGB colour profiles. As for the smoothing I believe it is an issue with Window's ClearType. Does it improve if you go through the ClearType process again?

The font seems to improve a lot after Windows' ClearType. The shapes on the other hand remains pixilated anyway if it a known issue I am confident the problem will be resolved before final release.

Feedback 02.PNG

Thanks guys. Great improvements with these Betas.

Here are some problems:
1. can't find "Make Global" in Swatches Panel;

2. imported global colors form .affpalette file in the Swatches Palette work stangelly:

a) If trying to "Edit fill..." to change the color from the Swatches Palette of the object filled with global color -- the color of the object does not changes. Only the icon of the color (and can not be undone);

b) If trying to "Edit Global Color" to change the color from the Color Palette of the object filled with global color -- it works just fine.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Unfortunately, you have a serious regression making this version unusable, though it's always very welcome and appreciated to see so much good work.

As the attached image will show, you have something very wrong in rendering, so that high intensities wash out and color-invert. The hot side of the gold rectangle and its green-now-purple rim is the most obvious place to observe this.

This occurs just the same on the matching Photo Beta. On both, as before, the effect is extremely sensitive to 'Exposure' or Brightness adjustment; i.e. gets much worse rapidly. i think the fix was simple once problem recognized.

The original report is here, with proper appearance also attached. The fix now regressed was in the subsequent  Beta, though unacknowledged except as an obscure-to-unknowledgeable item

affinity-washout.png

• Staff
6 hours ago, narrationsd said:

Unfortunately, you have a serious regression making this version unusable, though it's always very welcome and appreciated to see so much good work.

Thanks! There are is currently an issue with colour profiles that are affecting a lot of users which is what you're running into. It is with development to fix.

• Staff
15 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Thanks guys. Great improvements with these Betas.

Here are some problems:
1. can't find "Make Global" in Swatches Panel;

2. imported global colors form .affpalette file in the Swatches Palette work stangelly:

a) If trying to "Edit fill..." to change the color from the Swatches Palette of the object filled with global color -- the color of the object does not changes. Only the icon of the color (and can not be undone);

b) If trying to "Edit Global Color" to change the color from the Color Palette of the object filled with global color -- it works just fine.

1. Seems to work for me, however you have to ensure the colour you want to Make Global is in a document palette.

MakeGlobal.png.5b32274a90e58373b293dc03f0761107.png

2. Again this seems to be working correctly for me, you first have to ensure you have applied that global colour to an object - to make the connection between object and fill. Editing from the Colour Panel will edit the Global colour that is applied and not the one from the newly imported palette. Are you able to record a video showing these two issues?

Here is a .WMV clip.

Petar-10-08-2017-11-06-47.wmv

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)