You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Here's one I haven't seen before.  I was moving several nodes, in the node tool of course¬¬, when suddenly a note "Snapping timed out" appeared by the cursor.  Snapping was disabled by AD when this note was showing even though it was turned on.  What caused this?  What does this actually mean, other than snapping has been disabled by AD?  How can I get these nodes snapped?  It only happens when I get the nodes near the center of the drawing which I have marked by 2 guides.  Do I have too many selected or are there too many nodes in this area, etc.?  The center of the drawing is the center of perspective so I have several guide lines meeting here.

This is in 1.6.0 beta 5 on a mac running Sierra.

Minutes later... Okay then to try to get the nodes aligned seeing as snapping wasn't available I held down opt and spun the mouse wheel to zoom in.  I've had a spinning beachball for a good 15 minutes now.  Surprised AD hasn't crashed, never had a beachball last that long.  This drawing isn't all that large, yet.  Looks like I'll have to do a forced quit.  Yup I did.

When I reopened the drawing I didn't get the Snapping timed out again.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Hi Gearmaker,

This certainly is an odd one! I've never had someone report this before. Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of the error message you are getting so I can look into this further for you? Would it also be possible for you to provide a file that you are able to recreate this issue with?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum, the message disappeared each time I released the mouse button.  So I wasn't able to get a screen print with it.  Ever since I did a forced quit and restarted AD it hasn't done it to me again.  I couldn't find anything in the Help files on it.  I could send you a file of it but I've added a lot of layers since then.  So it's changed a lot.  Someone must have programmed the message "Snapping timed out" maybe they could give a clue what was going on.  Glad I'm not the only one surprised by this.

• 3 weeks later...

Callum, AD is doing the "Snapping timed out" again.  Different drawing, attached.  And this time I don't have to have the mouse button down to have it happen.

59a0261693501_ScreenShot2017-08-25at6_21_50AM.png.9c396bd2a273d5dbb57d2065b2ef8854.png

I'm using the 1.6.0 beta 8.  In the attached drawing file have snapping turned on.  Select the circle tool.  Select either layer group.  Move the cursor into the bounding box for the layer selected.  I've tried restarting AD which stopped the problem before, but not this time.  It is doing it with all drawing tools.

59a026bd92933_ScreenShot2017-08-25at6_32_40AM.png.a82aa19bc6705b60cec226a7d13654bf.png

Test.afdesign

Mike

Thanks Sean.  You mean 84 nodes per tooth and 60 teeth on the gear might be a problem? ;)  Is there a known limit?  Probably less than 5040 I'd guess from this.  Unfortunately that's how the gear generator software builds the SVG file to get the proper shape.

Just found that doing an expand stroke reduces this to 15 nodes per tooth.  Also noticed that expand stroke makes a duplicate layer with the 900 node version and keeps the 5040 node version.  I've never noticed it automatically make a copy before.  What's causing that?

At least there is work around.  My current clock, which uses this gear generator has 9 gears, I shall try the expand stroke on each.  Thank goodness Matt has gotten the expand stroke functioning pretty well.  There is some slight distortion to the original, but less than I get when I cut out the gears!

Mike

• Staff

I just put two and two together with your username! ;)

The developers have got back and have said this is a feature, however there might be room for some improvement. Looking at it Zooming in doesn't seem to work at all well and actually still causes the performance to be horrendous. What will work (if you wish to snap to object centres) is to untick 'Snap to object geometry' and tick 'Snap to object bounding boxes' and 'Include bounding box mid points'. You should now be able to align objects to the centre.

Rather than completely destroying performance, we now time out snapping. This will mainly affect when snapping to geometry, which includes geometry intersection points. This is done through curve subdivision, so can be computationally expensive.

Since the overhead of performing snapping can't be predicted, a time out is the only option in order to restore app functionality. Otherwise, the app could hang while performing a very involved snap. Chances are, if what is under the cursor has a very high density of geometry, you don't want to be snapping to it anyway. The solution is to zoom in. This reduces the document area in which a snap is performed (since it is a screen pixel size radius).

Thanks Sean, FYI I'm still getting the time out doing it this way.  So I'll use the expand stroke or even better I'll save a second circle with the same center or I can turn on the show rotation center and zoom in on it.  At least now I know what's causing it.

On 8/31/2017 at 0:21 AM, Sean P said:

What will work (if you wish to snap to object centres) is to untick 'Snap to object geometry' and tick 'Snap to object bounding boxes' and 'Include bounding box mid points'. You should now be able to align objects to the centre.

On 8/31/2017 at 0:21 AM, Sean P said:

The developers have got back and have said this is a feature, however there might be room for some improvement.

Sean, I forgot to ask.  I assume this statement is pertaining to my question about when Expand Stroke is used that in this case a copy is automatically made of the original, but other times no copy has been made.  Is that correct?

If I need a copy of the original of whatever shape being expanded I would assume one will not automatically be made and make a copy myself.  Or is there some way to know if the current shape is complex enough to get an automatic copy so that I could skip making a manually generated copy?  Otherwise I'd have to continue making a manual copy, then deleting one if an automatic copy is made.

• Staff
On 9/1/2017 at 10:13 PM, Gear maker said:

Sean, I forgot to ask.  I assume this statement is pertaining to my question about when Expand Stroke is used that in this case a copy is automatically made of the original, but other times no copy has been made.  Is that correct?

That was actually referring to the 'Snapping timed out' message.

As for the expand stroke copy, if the original shape had a fill then that shape will be retained (with the stroke removed), and the stroke placed as a new object. If the shape doesn't have a fill then it will be removed (as they'll be no stroke or fill).

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

That was actually referring to the 'Snapping timed out' message.

As for the expand stroke copy, if the original shape had a fill then that shape will be retained (with the stroke removed), and the stroke placed as a new object. If the shape doesn't have a fill then it will be removed (as they'll be no stroke or fill).

Oh that makes sense.  I should have figured that out.  Duh.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also been getting this message. 

Just now, using the 1.6 beta 9 on a file w. 279 circles that have number shapes cut out. At least 5022 nodes. Snapping set to all of the bottom section of the snapping set-up dialog. bounding boxes, obj center, gaps, etc etc. A save and exit the app allows me to restart snapping on next open. 

What I'm doing is converting number text to curves, trying to center them on specific circles, and repeat within a number of groups having as many as 27 circle/number pairs. Sometimes the number groups will snap to one or both of the enclosing circle's center, other times, to the tops and sides of nearby number shapes. Oh, and I'm also then distributing bunches of objects to spread. I'm assuming lots of measurements are stored and updated in this practice.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet