You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Swapping colours

It would be great if there is a way to quickly swap between foreground and background colours. While in a masking process it takes a lot time now to swap between the colours. I also miss this option a lot on the destop version. I think with me a lot of other users would agree with me :)

• Staff

Hi Nickfranken,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Press X to swap between foreground and background colours in the desktop version. If you want customise this shortcut go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section, set the first dropdown to Photo and the second to Miscellaneous and change the shortcut from the list below (called Toggle Fill Context).

As far as i know there's no way to do the same in the iPad version other than opening the Colour Studio and select the foreground or background color on the top of the Studio.

Thanks for your wander. And what about the default key? Just like in photoshop, when je press D it automatically apply black/white for foreground/background color. This is very handy, but I can't find something like that in Affinity

9 hours ago, MEB said:

You can also set a keyboard shortcut for it exactly in the same place. Go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section, set the first dropdown to Photo and the second to Miscellaneous and set the D shortcut for the following entry: Set Fill to Black and White.

My hero!!!!

• 5 years later...
3 hours ago, R Seven said:

is there still no quick way to swap between foreground and background color on the ipad version?

having quick access to black and white would be very helpful when cleaning up masks with different brushes.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You can swipe left across the color wells in the Color Studio.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

am sorry, a bit new to affinity photo.

is the 'color well' / color studio the color panel to the right side on the ipad version?
if that's so, then it's always open so i can point my pencil to keep switching between the foreground / background color (have set it to white/black)

was wondering if there's a way to switch with just the pencil/gestures without needing the color panel active all the time,
excluding using a keyboard with the ipad, tend to work with it away from the table.

As far as I know it's only by swiping on the studio icons. Someone else may have other suggestions.

You can Pin the studio so it remains present.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.