jaybo

Can't open raw files from Photos

Hello! Just bought Affinity Photo yesterday for my iPad Pro 10.5" (iOS10.3.3) Was so excited, but then became rather frustrated as I've not been able to open Raw files from Photos. I try and it just gets stuck on "loading from Photos". Works fine with JPEG photos taken on my phone. I use Sony a6000. Uninstalled and reinstalled, but the problems persists. Help, please!!

Hi jaybo,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Are you able to see the RAW files in Apple Photos? Do you also have trouble if you try to open them from iCloud?

Which setting do you have selected in the iPad Settings app, Photos & Camera section: Optimise iPad Storage or Download and Keep Originals?

Hi MEB,

Thanks for the welcome! I am able to see the Raw files in Apple Photos. I tried opening a RAW file I transferred into iCloud drive and was successful. I've selected Optimize iPad Storage. The problem seems to be with files I've imported to Apple Photos on my iMac that then sync with Photos on my iPad. I tried opening a few RAW files that I directly imported to Photos on my iPad using Apple's Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader and have had no problems so far.  Is there a fix?

Hi jaybo

Ive passed it on to the development team as there have been a number of reports and i am able to recreate it here too. As you say it seems to be photos sync'd from the mac

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi,

I had a similar problem. My RAW photos were synced over the cloud. I tried to open those RAW pictures but it stuck also on "loading from photos". I tried it wih optimized for ipad storage and also with download an keep originals - no change. 

Similar problem here. I thought it was because there are raw file from the new Olympus TG-5 and thought it was not supported. But it seems this is a more global problem... 

13 minutes ago, gautama108 said:

Similar problem here. I thought it was because there are raw file from the new Olympus TG-5 and thought it was not supported. But it seems this is a more global problem... 

Yep, thought that too. But my Canon 60D is supported by iOS 10 :(

Will this problem get fixed soon?

I just bought a NAS device to use for photo editing work. Works great with my MacBook, but I cannot import RAW files from it with Affinity Photo on my iPad. I can import TIFF and JPG, but not the files straight from my camera. I need to copy them to iCloud drive first, then I can import them. But this adds complexity and time to an otherwise easy workflow.

I have an IPad Pro 12.9 2018. I am not able to open raw files on my iPad. I am able to open jpegs. Is there a fix for this. I loaded the files from my cameras SD card to icloud using my MacBook Pro. Is there steps that I am not doing or missing?

On 1/9/2019 at 12:59 PM, Clintdickerson said:

I have an IPad Pro 12.9 2018. I am not able to open raw files on my iPad. I am able to open jpegs. Is there a fix for this. I loaded the files from my cameras SD card to icloud using my MacBook Pro. Is there steps that I am not doing or missing?

Is you camera on the 'supported list? 

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

I have the same problem with raw (.ARW) files from my Sony a7 III (v2.10) (supposed to be supported) on my iPad Pro 10.5 (iOS 12.1.3).

No matter how I import my raw files (directly via SD card adapter, USB 3 camera kit adapter or via OneDrive cloud), I can't open those raw files in Photos or in Affinity Photo for iPad. The import itself looks ok, no error messages. But the imported raw photos can't be opened, they are just blank. Trying to open one of those in Affinity for iPad will crash the app. 

I guess it's more an iOS problem than an Affinity problem, since I can't even open them in Photos. Looks like my files are not supported by iOS 12.1.3, even though that camera is listed as supported. 

(This did all work just fine some time ago with my Sony A6000.)

3 hours ago, Inrumpo said:

have the same problem with raw (.ARW) files from my Sony a7 III (v2.10) (supposed to be supported)

I can see Sony listed but no A7 . I wonder if that is why?

• Sony Alpha ILCE-7 III

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

On 1/28/2019 at 5:18 AM, DM1 said:

I can see Sony listed but no A7 . I wonder if that is why?

• Sony Alpha ILCE-7 III

That one should be it. Well, the official code would be ILCE-7M3.