You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 4 months later...

OMG, this is one of the reasons for which I bought Affinity, I even asked before purhcasing if it exports to psd while keeping everythign intact. Is there an expected date for this update? I have to provide PSD files to web developers, otherwise I can't use Affinity unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

On 02/01/2018 at 3:13 PM, chris.bannu said:

OMG, this is one of the reasons for which I bought Affinity, I even asked before purhcasing if it exports to psd while keeping everythign intact. Is there an expected date for this update? I have to provide PSD files to web developers, otherwise I can't use Affinity unfortunately.

Hello,

I have the exact same problem! Is there any news about when this will be fixed?

Thanks!

• Staff

@Gabriela G.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I do not think that this is being worked on at the moment, so there is no news at the moment. When this is added it will appear in a customer beta first, that you will find in the beta forums, where a list of new features and fixes are given in the beta announcement threads, which are pinned at the top of the relevant sub-forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Gabriela G. Unfortunately no. Personally I found an idiotic workaround, but it's very time consuming.

Export the text only to pdf from Affinity -> Open in Illustrator -> Save as AI -> Open in Fireworks -> tweak the text (recreate the parts with more than 1 line of text) -> Export to psd -> Copy to the desired PSD -> Organize the text in the right layers. It's the only way :D:D:D

As silly as it sounds, I still prefer Affinity over PSD, even if I have to do all of the above. It's a great software, you'll fall inlove with it. After they add this feature I will build an Affinity temple in my city :)

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Many of us need to solve that text export issue or stop using PSD*, in my weekly agile flow I need text properties to give enought specifications in hand-offs with IT team, they use https://psdetch.com/ that gives information about every layer in PSD. The solution Designer » PDF » Illustrator » PSD requires an additional license.

When I discovered Affinity Designer I love the way you can work with "responsive" content and libraries, but I never used Pixel or Export personas for UI design**. Sure you know Figma, they have quite nice interaction development (limited but very usable) and hand-off sharing specifications, nice to have options. 

*It'll be near perfect if we can use SVG multilayer to give hand-off specifications :)

**Yeah I know it's a very specific use of Affinity :D

• Staff

@Habibi

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)  Thanks for your input on this thread and that useful link.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

ok... maybe I'm crazy but today a client send me PSD files with editable text and they open fine in Affinity Photo... anyone can confirm the same? I'm not kidding, They open fine!!

Affinity can import text in PSD as editable but can not export text in PSD as editable.

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, JacobTheDev said:

Can't believe it's 2022 and we still can't export text in PSDs... difficult to supply a file to a client when all they have is Photoshop.

The problem is Adobe does not publish complete specs for all the different ways text can be encoded into its proprietary PSD file format. That has changed several times over the years & now is so complex that essentially no app besides PS supports all of them, not even Adobe's other apps.

Of course, Adobe benefits from this, so it is unlikely that they will cooperate with Serif or anybody else who tries to reverse engineer the specs, & may at any time even change some of them just enough to break whatever works now.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

The problem is Adobe does not publish complete specs for all the different ways text can be encoded into its proprietary PSD file format. That has changed several times over the years & now is so complex that essentially no app besides PS supports all of them, not even Adobe's other apps.

Of course, Adobe benefits from this, so it is unlikely that they will cooperate with Serif or anybody else who tries to reverse engineer the specs, & may at any time even change some of them just enough to break whatever works now.

That may be true in a 50/50 way. Photopea, pixelmator and others can export in editable PSD texts. So it’s not that Serif can’t do it. I think Affinity’s tools are still in version 1 for a reason. Adobe has been copying all of the amazing work that Serif has been doing and maybe that’s why Serif is holding on that feature. Affinity Suite is the only suite that is turning Adobe fans into quitting their Adobe-addiction and move to Affinity. Maybe they don’t want a legal battle with Adobe or they are flirting with Adobe to sell the engines and upgrade Adobe to other standards. The thing is they can do this in one night of code and it’s not happening because they don’t want it. Maybe they want to have a “one more thing” to version 2.0

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

3 hours ago, albertkinng said:

That may be true in a 50/50 way. Photopea, pixelmator and others can export in editable PSD texts. So it’s not that Serif can’t do it.

Yes, Serif has told us that they don't have a time to implement it yet. and not because it's not possible.
But I think it's not just that but also they don't have budget to implement it now since they don't have enough income.
They have been holding paid upgrade so long that's why the development is stalled.

• 1 month later...

Serif, can we please get a response to this issue. Not just the typical "This isn't a feature, but we'd like to add this later..."

Has this been developed at ALL in the past 5 years? Will we ever see this? Just give us something...

For the Affinity Suite to even be VIABLE professionally in a team, exporting editable text to PSD is a must. I advocate Affinity anytime I speak to my agency, but they're Adobe users of 15+ years - so expecting them to immediately switch isn't realistic. With that being said, the standard isn't going to change - so if Affinity can disrupt the typical Adobe workflow, that's when Affinity could start to overtake the market.

Export your Affinity Photo file as a Print Ready PDF and go to Photopea.com and drop your file there, then just export the file as a PSD file and it will be editable. If you have Automator app or Keyboard maestro app you will be able to create a one click option for your files. In my case I created a folder with Automator that every file that I save there it will do all the process automatically. Hope that helps. 

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

48 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

Export your Affinity Photo file as a Print Ready PDF and go to Photopea.com

It may be simpler than that: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1