You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I use Affinity Photo for Mac and iPad now, I was a Photoshop user for 15 years and now for my freeelance work I only use Affinity apps. they are small, light and more powerful than any app for designing. My question is how I achieve the feature I saw on one of your Affinity Photo promo videos that a person is working on a billboard art and in the other window you can see the billboard updating the changes the artist is doing on the art itself? I want to use that feature (and maybe is very easy to do) so I need your help now. thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 6.16.03 PM.jpg

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

• Staff

Hi Albertkinng,

With the billboard example, the billboard is 1 image (can be any type of image) and then the advert is either a .afphoto .afdesign or a PSD, Illustrator, Freehand, SVG, EPS or PDF file.  It won't work with a standard JPG/image type.  You'd just open the image of the billboard and then click File>Place and select the advert (which needs to be one of the above file types).  Place the advert where you want it and then double click it.  This opens it in it's window and any changes you make here would update the version on the billboard automatically.

it seems I sounded like a real noob... 

ok, I know it is an editable format like PSD. I want to know is there a special setting to see the editable window and the one with the final art side by side. like in my sample picture in my original post. I am trying to do that and I can't do it. Can you write a step by step guide so I can understand better? I will really appreciate that. 

Ok, we're getting there now. So, I use the separated windows to achieve this and then what? I'm using Photo right now with separated windows, with a PSD open. How I get the other window? The one with the final art that I will be manipulating on the PSD one? 

It is just as stokerg said:

• Close the document to be embedded.
  • Open the target document.
  • Choose File > Place … and select the document you want to embed from Finder.
  • Now you will see that the placed (or embedded) document appears as an Embedded Document in the Layers list.
  • Double click the embedded document on the canvas, and it will open in a separate window.
  • When you are in separated mode, you should be able to position the windows side by side.

Hope that helps … :)

Alex