You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys,

I've seen after a google search a post from 2014 from someone asking how to scale a layer by an exact amount of percent. While some experienced users have attempted to answer that question in a smug way by basically not answering the question, this is actually an extremely basic feature, so I was wondering if this has been added yet? I mean it has been 3 years. 

I don't even know why so many goofy answers were made at the time, like showing the value when resizing (?). All it's needed is a submenu in edit > transform or right click > transform > scale, then a popup shows up and then you enter a value, and then voila! You resized your layer. Like in every. Single. Photo. Edition software that ever existed. Also the ability to repeat the transformation is super basic and allows to do multiple repetitive patterns. Again, like in every single photo edition software known to man.

Hope this has been implemented and someone can direct me to this or I swear this is the last time ever I use a product from you guys. Because that request - again, most basic feature ever - was first asked in 2014.

EDIT: Jeez on that forum "notify me of replies" is optional. OPTIONAL. 

The Transform panel accepts math expressions, so for example you could select a layer, click the link in the Transform panel to lock H & W to change proportionally to each other, enter 80% in either the H or W field.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I suspect @stf wants to be able to apply the same scaling transformation to other existing layers rather than to duplicate a scaled layer. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You can select multiple layers or objects and scale them all at the same time

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

You can select multiple layers or objects and scale them all at the same time

Or group them or put them in a Layer of their own to make that even easier to do.

Yet another alternative in Affinity Designer is to use Symbols when the same object is used more than once & it would be convenient to be able to scale them all at once.

Affinity Photo 

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi pixeldroid,

I suppose you mean scaling the image/object down. If that's the case just multiply the dimension with the value you need: for example to reduce the image/object/layer to half its size just add *50% after the existing value in the respective field in the Transform panel.

2 hours ago, pixeldroid said:

Is it possible to scale negative numerically?  -100% doesn't work but perhaps I'm missing something.

You can use a negative percentage for position (e.g. -33% to change the X or Y value from 200 to -66) but it doesn't make sense for scaling.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

add *50% after the existing value

Alternatively, replace the existing value with 50% (without the *).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, pixeldroid said:

How, for example, would you mirror the layer along the x axis?

'Arrange > Flip Horizontal', perhaps?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That does do what I need in this case, but what if you wanted to scale a layer -75% in x?  Not common and it can be done by export to a new doc.  But here I am developing textures and it would be useful to have negative numeric scaling.  Another trick is scale negative by dragging and then enter pixel value in transform.

• Staff

Hi pixeldroid,

If you mean reducing its width 75% without touching its height just add *25% after the existing width value (or replace it with 25%) - make sure the width/height fields are not linked - check the link icon on the right of the input fields in the Transform panel.

• 9 months later...

What seems a bit counterintuitive for me is that if I want to reduce the overall size of an object by 10%, I have to actually enter: *90%

If I enter: *10% the object gets reduced to 90% of its original size. What is the logic to this?

Never mind. I just saw a video stating I can enter: -=n%

I tried: -=10% and it did as I needed. My confusion was that almost all explanations used the " * " operator.

I still agree that a context menu, or something similar should be incorporated to enter a + or - percentage to transform. Also, the ability to select same type of geometric shapes and do a batch size transformation by entering a specific measurement (diameter, width/height).

In God's Harmony

• 5 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 5:02 AM, MEB said:

make sure the width/height fields are not linked - check the link icon on the right of the input fields in the Transform panel.

Sorry about this very basic question, but when is the "chain icon" activated?

757696852_Chainiconlinked-Isitactivatedordeactivated.jpg.560a5f0f9f41ab0c1739b4dec28933a0.jpg1142662918_Chainiconunlinked-Isitactivatedordeactivated.jpg.aab9459fa54ae727f7884ce1d9f133f9.jpg

7 minutes ago, Doryan said:

Sorry about this very basic question, but when is the "chain icon" activated?

757696852_Chainiconlinked-Isitactivatedordeactivated.jpg.560a5f0f9f41ab0c1739b4dec28933a0.jpg1142662918_Chainiconunlinked-Isitactivatedordeactivated.jpg.aab9459fa54ae727f7884ce1d9f133f9.jpg

When it appears as on the left above.

Affinity Photo