You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Calligraphic Brush

Hello Gwobbler and welcome to the Affinity forums.

Calligraphic lines styles are on the feature roadmap, so they are expected to come some time before version 2 as a free update for those who purchased the program. You currently have a few extra options if you double click a brush from the Brushes studio, but they don't go as deep as shown in your source.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, bluearch said:

Does anyone know the status of Calligraphy line styles on the feature roadmap? I really need them for music notation. There has not seemed to have been any movement on implementation. Hello? Anyone out there????

I'm out here, same as you, pining for calligraphic line styles. Luckily I've got both CorelDraw and Illustrator so I'm swapping to one of those for now, neither of which I'm happy with for differing reasons (Corel's too-different interface is hard to handle when you spent 90% of your time in Adobe products; Adobe's "Rental Software" makes me violently angry....)

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

In photo, I just made a pretty useful (raster) calligraphy pen in 5 minutes for an upcoming project. I made a 4 px wide x 65 pixel tall selection, filled it with black, and saved the "selection only" as a png. Then in the brush panel I opened up "new image brush" and selected the png. In the brush attributes I set the spacing to 1%, the rotation to 6% and the size jitter to 43% pressure. It worked great! You can play with the rotation to fit your needs. I'm not a calligrapher by any means, but I do need to do some "Hebrew style" calligraphy in an upcoming project. After a little practice, I think this brush will work ok.

callig demo.jpg

• 1 year later...

Literally the first thing I tried in AD was to make a calligraphy artwork with the different tools AD has compared to Illustrator. I was keen to try this new way of working with the stroke 'pressure'. But although I tried and tried, I could not make it look as good as I would in Illustrator. So I thought I'd simply make a few brushes (just 3 different elongeted shapes that I would turn into brushes) but all my attempts resulted in blurry brushes. So in the end, I ditched what I made in AD all together and started a different design in AD.

It's a real shame that making calligraphy in AD after all these years (topic from 2017) is still not possible in any usefull manner (at least not to my knowledge).
Since making custom lettering is what I do most (both in calligraphy and in many other styles) AD is still no substitute for Illustrator. Not for me at least.

• 4 weeks later...