You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting to NAS on home network

Hi. I am thinking of moving from my old MacBook pro using Aperture to an iPad Pro with affinity. My main concern is how this will work when exporting photos to my networked NAS drive? I do not use cloud photo services at all and do not wish to. Is it possible to export a project with many photos (imported and edited as raw files) as jpegs to the NAS drive as a batch, over wifi? Also, am I able to save the RAW files in an archive similar to the Aperture Libraries I now have saved on portable USB drives (one per year) ?

I could not see a solution to this on your tutorial.

• Staff

Hi DebB,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo is not a DAM software like Aperture. It doesn't manage libraries, nor apply the same settings to multiple photos from the same set or store RAW edits in a database or external XMP files so they can be edited/changed later. It also doesn't support batch jobs on the  iPad (only on the desktop version).

Affinity Photo is a RAW converter/developer and photo editor comparable to Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW. It's intended to be used on a single image at a time (although you can have more than one document open) and to save to its own native format if you want to keep everything editable (layer/adjustments/filters etc) or export to usual formats as (JPG, PNG, TIFF, PSD, EXR etc).

DebB

i have successfully used the FileBrowser Pro app from the Apple App Store to both open and save affinity photo files, psd files and jpgs with my iPad Pro to/from a NAS (Synology and Western Digital Passport Wireless Pro).  I don't recommend it for everyday workflow due to iPad limitations more than AP limitations, even with a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9, but it works.

When AP loads, saves and exports photos to the cloud, the primary location is iCloud. But at the top, left of the iCloud files is a button, 'Locations', and if you tap this you will see other locations, depending on what apps you have installed. For example, I see Box and Dropbox (both remote cloud storage) but I also see PDF expert, iCabMobile and Transmit (local to my iPad)

If your NAS app is keeping up to date then it should/might appear as a location too. So you will be able to load and export straight from AP to your NAS. Try it.

Stan

Thanks for the replies... sounds like it has pros and cons.  Perhaps I will use it for fun editing with the apple pencil for small jobs and do the big jobs in Aperture for as long as it is still working on my 2010 MBP.