You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm new to photo editing and when I look at all the different options available, I get overwhelmed and just don't know where to begin. 

I wish there was an explanation to what all the different options mean and an explanation of when and in which scenario they should be used.

So, I'm wondering if such a website or video in AP exists? I watch all the tutorial videos but unless I understand when I should use the different options, e.g. masks, layers, brushes, etc., I won't be able to edit my photo properly. When I try to follow what's being done in the video on Vimeo, my photos look horrible then I get frustrated and just do basic editing on my computer.

I used PhotoShop for many years before using masks, layers or brushes. I did use many plug-ins for post-processing along with adjustmens not on layers. Even today, using Affinity, I do most post-processing in a similar way. I would suggest that you stick with what works for you and learn other techniques gradually.

EDIT: I should add that this was  mainly in the pre-digital age, and I was mainly editing scanned slides.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hello aniakrysia and welcome to the Affinity forums:)
Have a look at the following links to some YouTube lessons from forum member Drippy Cat that he has made for beginners.
I think you will find them most useful in getting orientated and started with Affinity Photo.
Have fun!

Affinity Photo Tutorial for Beginners - 101 - don't panic!:

Affinity Photo Tutorial for Beginners - 102 - What is a Layer?:

Affinity Photo Beginners 103 - 5 Essential Photo Editing Steps:

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

3 hours ago, markw said:

Hello aniakrysia and welcome to the Affinity forums:)
Have a look at the following links to some YouTube lessons from forum member Drippy Cat that he has made for beginners.
I think you will find them most useful in getting orientated and started with Affinity Photo.

I'll second that recommendation!  His Affinity Photo: Solid Foundations course, available via Udemy, definitely lives up to its title.  James Ritson's YouTube videos are also excellent, but without the course structure.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Another recommendation for Simon Foster (aka Drippy Cat). I recall commenting in a review of Simon's Udemy courses that he not only shows you what to do but also explains why to do things in a particular way. I think you'll find it a great way to understand better and save yourself considerable time and frustration.

MarkW has provided the links to some free intros Simon did that'll give you a sampling of how his lessons are taught. The Udemy courses have some free preview sections and the rest is paid (very reasonably priced). Also, Simon is very helpful and responsive if you need help. Highly recommended.  Full disclosure: I have no connection with Simon other than being a satisfied customer.

Thank you all for replying. I have purchased the Udemy class some time ago but I find Affinity tutorials help me more. I guess I'll just take one step at a time. 

Also, I take a lot of photos with my iPhone- do you find that jpeg images aren't as easily edited as raw? 

14 hours ago, aniakrysia said:

Also, I take a lot of photos with my iPhone- do you find that jpeg images aren't as easily edited as raw? 

My response to this is personal. For most images, jpegs are probably more easily edited than raws. Where the raw images score is if there is some over or under exposure  or some similar problem . In such cases, it is easier to recover a useable image from a raw than from a jpeg. This is based on my experience. Probably 90%  of images I take using raw+jpeg, I find the raw confers no advantage. But it is there if I need it! I should add that I am not, in any way, a professional photographer.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

One last question, if you guys don't mind. :) Why is it that in my Photos, on my MacBook, after I upload them it shows my photos are RAW, which is how I have my camera set, but when I upload the same photo into AP on top it shows it as jpeg? Thank you for all your help!!!!