Vincere

Laughably Unusable - iPad Pro 9.7”

I bought Affinity Photo the day it was released for the iPad. I had been waiting for a very long time for Serif to bring this program to iOS and was excited when the demo was released in June of 2016.

iPad Pro 9.7” with Apple Pencil

The first time I used the app, on release day, it was buggy. It would crash when doing simple tasks like importing a photo, but that was fine. It was release day, and Photo is a complex app. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited for updates to the issues Serif acknowledged. 

It has been about two months since release day, and I would say it’s buggier than before. A few examples:

Smart Selection - Good luck getting anywhere with this. Starting with a large selection size is fine, and allows for bulk selection of, say, the background. But then as I start to use smaller and smaller selection sizes to, you know, select the finer parts of the foreground, its a crapshoot of whether the entire selection will disappear or not. The first time it happened, I had spent around 10 minutes selecting different parts via add or subtract when the all of a sudden, the selection outlines disappeared. Annoying, yes, but I blamed myself. Maybe I hit a cancel button? I was using the Pencil, so I figured palm rejection would disallow non-Pencil input, but hey, those systems aren’t perfect. I’d be more careful next time. 

Except, each of the next three times of careful selections, meticulously avoiding any palm contact, the selection still disappeared. That’s around an hour of lost time on something as mundane as a selection.

This experience is a microcosm of the Photo app experience itself. I never know just when a tool is going to fail midway, or a picture fail to import, or any of the many functions (so many, which is awesome!) will just crash the app.

Then there’s the issue of app size. The app is 1.3 GB, which is large for iOS, but pretty normal for a macOS program. I know that the iOS version and macOS version share the same backend, so that probably explains the base app size. But why does the app size then balloon with each photo or project added? I’d add a 5MB photo to the app and suddenly the space take up by the app goes up by 150MB. Why? It’s not like I am short on space (128GB) but if I add twenty 5MB photos (100MB total), the app takes up an additional 3GB. Why?? This is absurd!

That’s not even the only app size issue. When I delete the photos from the app, the space is still taken up. It’s as if the cache isn’t being cleared of deleted files. Come on, cache management is such an elementary programming concept. How could you get this wrong?

And what’s with the inpainting speeds? A tiny inpainting selection requires the app to reload the image while the selection is being inpainted. Pixelmator inpaints instantaneously. A $5 app has better inpainting abilities than a now $30 app. Unacceptable. 

I think I will stick with Procreate ($6) and Pixelmator ($5). Serif, if you want to see what a real iOS app looks like, take a look at Procreate. I am utterly disappointed in Affinity Photo’s performance. I will not be purchasing Affinity Designer for iOS when it is released.

@Vincere - come on, I think you exaggerating things here...

Sure, Affinity Photo ain’t perfect yet, but, it’s not that bad that you’ve been pointing at here...

and, you paid 20 bucks for this app and believe that it is Photoshop on desktop?

photoshop that has 27 years of development behind and has a staff (at least had) of 200 people working near the developers...? 

2 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

@Vincere - come on, I think you exaggerating things here...

Sure, Affinity Photo ain’t perfect yet, but, it’s not that bad that you’ve been pointing at here...

and, you paid 20 bucks for this app and believe that it is Photoshop on desktop?

photoshop that has 27 years of development behind and has a staff (at least had) of 200 people working near the developers...? 

What? I’m not comparing it to Photoshop for desktop. I never once mentioned Photoshop. The only only other apps I mentioned were Pixelmator (as a direct competitor) and Procreate (as an example of what an exceptional app is, despite costing 20% what Affinity Photo costs). But since you’ve brought Photoshop up, Affinity Photo is certainly marketed as a Photoshop competitor on the desktop. Their iOS app is priced far higher than many other art/photo apps, thus I would expect it to be both far more capable and far less buggy. The app is packed with features, but that feature set is useless if the majority of them crash the app, cease functioning midway, or fail to respond to input. 

Its not even that it’s “not perfect”. It truly is as bad as I make it out to be. I have been involved in a number of programs and apps, from development, to alpha testing, beta testing, and public release. The launch of this app is, without question, one of the buggiest launches I’ve ever seen. 

I want this app to succeed, to spearhead the development of professional class apps on iOS. But if Procreate can do what they’ve done with just as small, or smaller, a team, Photo has no excuse. I want to be proven wrong in this. 

$30 is not a lot when compared to many desktop programs, but considering the macOS version is $50, I’d expect it to at least be 60% as capable and stable (especially since they use the same backend).

… if the majority of them crash the app, cease functioning midway, or fail to respond to input.

Really? If that was generally true, the forum would be flooded with complaints. And I must say, it also contradicts my experience with the app. In your earlier post, you complained about losing a selection, slow inpainting, and large file sizes. While I do admit that these issues are unfortunate, I cannot see how you arrived at the statement cited above. The “majority of features crashing the app”? Have you ever tried a clean re-install?

maybe you have a specific set of images that trigger the crashes 

maybe you can provide some of them and some steps to reproduce/ compare, that would be perfect 

"Except, each of the next three times of careful selections, meticulously avoiding any palm contact, the selection still disappeared. That’s around an hour of lost time on something as mundane as a selection"

// you can load the last selection again by hitting the three dots>>reselect (maybe this did not work because the app crashed?)

// you can disable (accidental) touch input in the preferences by limiting it to the pen and using two fingers for moving the canvas

app size 1,3gig

//in the recent beta it is down to about 900mb as far as I am aware, they are working on it

(- Further efforts to reduce the size of the application binary.)

documents do not free space

// there have been a couple of such reports early on but I thought they were fixed, I guess you have the most recent update installed,

however if you feel so you can get access to an even more recent beta version here https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41764-affinity-photo-for-ipad-customer-beta/

here is a list of all changes in the beta since the last App Store update 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/44824-affinity-photo-for-ipad-164-beta-5/

as A_B_C said, you seem to have found a point in the app where it crashes frequently for you but not for most people which is good because it just needed to discover what specific difference in your image/ setup causes the crashes

I'm sure the staff/ team will work this out nicely :)

As I said earlier, the guy pays 20 bucks for this wonderful Affinity Photo, and, cries like a baby that it’s not that super duper fantastic app that it should be...

come on, Affinity Photo today is much better than for six weeks ago, especially if you are on the beta 5 of version 1.64...

If we let Serif work hard on this, and, give them currage to do that instead of talking a lot of shit here, we certainly will be more than pleased in the future...

35 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

As I said earlier, the guy pays 20 bucks for this wonderful Affinity Photo, and, cries like a baby that it’s not that super duper fantastic app that it should be...

come on, Affinity Photo today is much better than for six weeks ago, especially if you are on the beta 5 of version 1.64...

If we let Serif work hard on this, and, give them currage to do that instead of talking a lot of shit here, we certainly will be more than pleased in the future...

Sigh, ok you are not contributing to any constructive conversation. 

As I said earlier, I want this app to succeed. I am not a blind fanboy, like you, that accepts everything Serif spits out as gold. I have not asked for a refund, since I support what Serif is doing. My intention is to voice my experiences so that Serif can make their products better, iron out issues. What is the “Bugs on iPad” section of this forum supposed to be for if anyone that voices their issues gets eviscerated? You are toxic. Perhaps take a look at MBd and A_B_C for what useful responses look like.

A_B_C, I just reinstalled the app. I’ll see if this helps with the issues I am seeing. My experiences may be fringe cases, but I figured they’d still be important to bring up here. I’ll keep you posted.

MBd, I’ll look into the accidental touch settings. I just reinstalled the app, so I’m going through and reapplying my settings. In regard to the app size issue, on a fresh install, the app was 1.36 GB. I then added a 2.5MB photo (taken with my iPad if that matters) and the app size instantly went to 1.42GB. Why is a 2.5MB photo causing an increase in app size of 60MB? I didn’t apply any effects or anything, simply checked the app size before hand, added a photo, and then checked the size again. 

Assuming that you are using the current App Store version, you could also register for the beta program and have a look if your problems are already solved in the latest beta. The beta will replace the App Store version, but you can always go back to the latter one by simply reinstalling it from the App Store. The beta is deployed through TestFlight, so you will have to register directly with Serif:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41764-affinity-photo-for-ipad-customer-beta/

Just another idea … :)

Alex

iPad 12.9 with 256mb running latest iOS.  Yes, it crashes.  File size must be kept to a moderate 45mb and under.  If making large adjustments or painting large areas, plan on crashing.  Limit your canvas size to 5000X8000px max.  Make moderate adjustments to the image.  The software doesn't manage the memory well so keep the file size small.  As for the concept of the program, stellar!  It's 2017, files are getting larger and we are all on location trying to get this stuff processed.  Vet the software to the capacity that is allowed.  If the software crashes with large files, limit the user to a safe file size.  

7 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Assuming that you are using the current App Store version, you could also register for the beta program and have a look if your problems are already solved in the latest beta. The beta will replace the App Store version, but you can always go back to the latter one by simply reinstalling it from the App Store. The beta is deployed through TestFlight, so you will have to register directly with Serif:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41764-affinity-photo-for-ipad-customer-beta/

Just another idea … :)

Alex

Thanks Alex, I will try that. I am more than familiar with Beta programs on iOS, so this seems like a “no harm in trying” idea!

I appreciate your help!

I'm starting to see more crashes as I use this app more and I do sympathise with the OP but the best thing we can do is report these issues and provide additional details and sample files where requested to assist the team in resolving these issues. Participation in the beta also makes a lot of sense for the OP as you will see where improvements are being made and be able to contribute to existing issues.

Participating in beta testing of Affinity Photo for iPad is as easy as writing an email. :)

Because the only thing to do is to write a message.

just do it.

AP for iPad 1.6.5.61  on (latest) iOS 11.0.3 on iPad Pro 12,9“ (2015) with Apple Pencil- AD Mac official - AP Mac official

eagerly awaiting AD for iPad :-)I

I have the same problem of see how much the used space storage increase exaggeratedly when I add photos that use just a bit of space. And for me is a big problem because my iPad have just 32gb.