You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

indexed color or/and gif to get a palette .act

56 minutes ago, erickb said:

yes and I need .swatches for Procreate on iPad :-)

I have of course Affinity photo for iPad too

Can Procreate create a palette or a swatch from a document?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, erickb said:

I dont understand your question  sorry
as said before when you open any file format photoshop has its internal format conversion  (kind of psd without  extension I guess), once your work finished  you can save it in whatever format you want (including jpg)  and  open it by any app or browser

you can save a jpg in 3 ways :  save (if it is already a jpg)  or save as if it is not yet a jpg , or save for the web as jpg with many option like metadatas

What I am asking is if a file you save from Photoshop with the .jpeg or .jpg extension (using any of the three ways you mentioned, regardless of its original file type, if any) results in a jpeg file that uses indexed color references instead of one color per pixel.

No matter how you open an image file, or with what application, if you save it, it must have a filetype when saved back to disk or uploaded to a web site or whatever. This is usually designated with an extension, which you may or may not see depending on the OS & file browser you use & how it is set, but the important thing to understand is each graphic filetype only supports certain color formats. If the filetype does not support indexed colors then there is nothing any app can do about that, other than to export the file to a different format that does support that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@erickb Thanks for the clarification. I know how indexed colors work. As I said, I am reasonably sure the JPEG file format does not support them, which is why I was confused when you said jpg.

BTW, these days it is equally likely for cameras to create photo files in one of the many RAW formats rather than or in addition to the lossy JPEG one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

+1 for indexed support. Ignoring R C-R who is completely misunderstanding and complicating the matter (it has nothing to do with saving out as jpg with indexed colours, it is opening any file, converting to indexed colour mode and saving as the file format of your choice), it would be nice to get index colour support for legacy reasons but I fear just being for legacy reasons the developers won't bother. A lot of older games (that people still mod or create content for) need indexed colour mode. As much as I'd hate to admit it for the same reasons .bitmap file format would be great. But there re far more pressing matters for the devs to focus on for Affinity Photo.

I found this thread while searching specifically for this feature and was sad to see I may still have to keep photoshop around... Which defeats the purpose of switching to Affinity! :P

MattyWS

14 minutes ago, MattyWS said:

+1 for indexed support. Ignoring R C-R who is completely misunderstanding and complicating the matter (it has nothing to do with saving out as jpg with indexed colours, it is opening any file, converting to indexed colour mode and saving as the file format of your choice), it would be nice to get index colour support for legacy reasons but I fear just being for legacy reasons the developers won't bother. A lot of older games (that people still mod or create content for) need indexed colour mode. As much as I'd hate to admit it for the same reasons .bitmap file format would be great. But there re far more pressing matters for the devs to focus on for Affinity Photo.

I found this thread while searching specifically for this feature and was sad to see I may still have to keep photoshop around... Which defeats the purpose of switching to Affinity! :P

MattyWS

No need to hold on to Photoshop for this kind of work. Photoshop is pretty terrible for indexed colour work, not even supporting layers when working in indexed mode, for example. Excellent alternatives are ProMotion NG or Asesprite. I prefer PM myself.

https://www.cosmigo.com/

And if you just need to convert to indexed colour mode with full control over the conversion with custom fixed palettes and superb control of colours, download the free Color Quantizer - Photoshop can't hold a candle to it. http://x128.ho.ua/color-quantizer.html

Windows only, I'm afraid. But both work without issues in Wine on Mac and Linux.

Very helpful thank you, a good short term solution for sure in this case. It's a big jarring to have a separate application just for a single simple feature though, if this were the case for every feature photoshop has that Affinity doesn't, people may find themselves having to install a ton of little random and potentially malicious applications instead of just using a single application like Photoshop or Affinity... And who wants to constantly be swapping applications for different features to edit an image? :D