You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

indexed color or/and gif to get a palette .act

Hi

in Photoshop it is possible to convert a jpg into indexed colors and choose how many colors (50 .... 100)  and  save a swatches (palette) file from the jpg

I dont find how to change a jpg into indexed colors to save a swatches (palette) file 

thanks

If you go to the Swatches panel and click on the little menu icon on the right of the panel titles, you can create a palette of all the colours used in the open document. You can also create a palette from image files on your disc, without opening them into Affinity.

A Document palette creates the palette in just the open document.

An Application palette saves it into Affinity and makes it available to all documents.

You can export the palettes, import palettes, rename, delete etc from the same menu.

You don't convert to gif, when you export the file you have the choice to export as (save as) a gif. When you select GIF in Export, click on More and you have choices like how many colours in the gif file and so forth.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

No, to both. 

Unless it is a very well hidden feature ;)

But if you create a palette from an image on disc, rather than an open file, you can choose how many colours Affinity makes

This was 60

pal.png.cccd0eebfc120648183015ae1e72966f.png

here 256

256.png.d75ba04523849128dd263bbe9dfcab1e.png

here 4

4.png.68bbdd5a42314c85c544bd0bf1776282.png

I could be mistaken about this but I think the JPEG format does not support indexed colors, which would go a long way in explaining why you can't create a JPEG with indexed colors in Affinity! B|

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I could be mistaken

Well, there has to be a first time for everything ;)

Thing is, if I load a JPEG and save it as an .afphoto file. Could I turn it into indexed colours ?

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I could be mistaken about this but I think the JPEG format does not support indexed colors, which would go a long way in explaining why you can't create a JPEG with indexed colors in Affinity! B|

in Affinity you can convert the current file (jpg) into16 or 32 bits colors ... a jpg is 8 bits , there is no reason not to convert it into indexed colors

1 minute ago, toltec said:

Well, there has to be a first time for everything ;)

Ha! The first time that happened to me was so long ago I can't even remember when it happened.

Thing is, if I load a JPEG and save it as an .afphoto file. Could I turn it into indexed colours ?

I am not sure what you mean about 'turning it into' indexed colors. File types that support indexed color assign each pixel an index number instead of a color. The color comes from a color table embedded in the file. There is no per pixel color bit depth, just the set of color values in the table, one for each index number.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure what you mean about 'turning it into' indexed colors. File types that support indexed color assign each pixel an index number instead of a color. The color comes from a color table embedded in the file. There is no per pixel color bit depth, just the set of color values in the table, one for each index number.

well ! we can talk about it one hour  but it works with photoshop , you can change for indexed colors  

6 minutes ago, toltec said:

.cir ?  :S

I think that is something to do with circuit board design.

Not .cir but .clr (Easy to miss the difference at the default text size.)

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, erickb said:

well ! we can talk about it one hour  but it works with photoshop   

Are you saying you can create a JPEG file (a file with the .jpg or .jpeg extension, not a .psd file) with indexed colors in Photoshop? If so, can you post an example here?

Affinity Photo 

10 minutes ago, toltec said:

A .clr is a Binary Color Screen Image

No idea why you got that but at least it has the world color in it.

I think he is talking about a color swatch palette file, one of several file types that use the .clr file extension. Affinity can both import & export .clr color palette files.

Affinity Photo 

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Are you saying you can create a JPEG file (a file with the .jpg or .jpeg extension, not a .psd file) with indexed colors in Photoshop? If so, can you post an example here?

yes I open a .jpg in photoshop  and convert it into indexed color, no problem, it exists since photoshop version 1 or 2

1 minute ago, erickb said:

yes I open a .jpg in photoshop  and convert it into indexed color, no problem, it exists since photoshop version 1 or 2

That is not what I asked about, which is specifically if you can export or otherwise create a file using PS in the jpeg file format (not psd, png, or any other file format that supports indexed colors).

In other words, once saved the file must have one of the standard JPEG file extensions & be recognized as a JPEG file by any software capable of opening that format without conversion.

Affinity Photo 

I dont understand your question  sorry
as said before when you open any file format photoshop has its internal format conversion  (kind of psd without  extension I guess), once your work finished  you can save it in whatever format you want (including jpg)  and  open it by any app or browser

you can save a jpg in 3 ways :  save (if it is already a jpg)  or save as if it is not yet a jpg , or save for the web as jpg with many option like metadatas