You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

disappointed

• Staff

@Oval

The disappointment of a few users may be more related with the high expectations they set for the products than to what the dev team could realistically achieve with the time and resources they had/have.

Considering that Affinity products have barely reached three years on the market, are now present in three different platforms and are being created from scratch i don't think there's much to be disappointed with. We do miss some basic tools/features and we certainly don't cover all competition's functionality but that's expected if you are comparing Affinity to products that have more than two decades of development. It doesn't really matter what Adobe did two decades ago. They had to start/deal with a different set of problems not comparable to the ones software developers face today. Only time will help to close the tools/feature gap and i think most users are aware of this.

Designer and Photo are what they are, with a price that's more than adjusted (i would say cheap) for what they offer - some users know how to take advantage of them and are already using them in production/commercially with what they offer, others will remain frustrated looking just for what they don't have yet. It's up to each one to decide how to look at it. The dev team has been doing their best to fulfil user's requests and fixing what they can and that's all we can promise. 

There's nothing stopping users from using Affinity in conjunction with existing third party software if they find some functionality lacking/missing until we get there.

On 10. August 2017 at 7:13 PM, MEB said:

The disappointment of a few users may be more related with the high expectations

with a price that's more than adjusted (i would say cheap)

High expectations result of statements like “Affinity Designer is the fastest, smoothest, most precise vector graphic design software available” and “coming (very) soon”. Those “few” users like lenogre need other software and lose promised speed and precision because announced basic features and corrections are missing since years. Others run into problems because old features result (without remark) in unprecise curves. There is still no information in the help / app which features can result in wrong results. Perhaps it is better to remove them. 

And the price is not the reason why so many people are disappointed that promised features are missing since years. For example Serif claimed years ago that “Change rulers origin point” is going to be added very soon but not few users are still waiting.

Rui Mac : They have never heard Nitroman ! (c4d user joke…)

Well, "Change rulers origin point" is also on my wishlist.

Another subject of disappointment : I was thinking that brushes could be a good tool for duplication but it doesn't work as expected. I've done many brushes for duplicating diamonds but I give up (I did like this when I was working with Illustrator) . After duplication with a textured brush on a circle or an oval, round diamonds have an egg shape and if I want to change the size of the circle, the brush bugs.

Now, all that work is done with cinema 4d. It takes 2 min with the mograph tool. I can change space between diamonds, size of diamonds and I don't need to count them. I duplicate disks with diamond texture and I calculate in orthographic view a PNG image with transparent background.

Well, for what I do, after 3 years, AD is  not good enough. I could do all my work with AD but I would spend a lot of time. AD is really the best in specific areas and the dunce in few ones.

Actually, it is like the Layer Effects, but with localized application, instead of affecting the whole object.

And, with optional fallof and shape definition.
If applied in between layers/objects, they would affect all layers/objects below and within the defined shape.
If applied as a child of a layer/object, they would only affect that layer/object.

On 8/5/2017 at 6:15 AM, mac_heibu said:

Realy, reall „slow“ updates: Just name a different software product, which is developed faster. Only one!

(I know one, but its – excuse me! – an Adobe product: Muse. But that’s it!)

Software engineering is not a pizza service: order – deliver – eat! (Or is it? If I consider Affinity’ pricing level, it may be the case …!)

https://www.sketchapp.com/updates/ Here ya go.

So what does that link tell us? That Sketch is developed faster? How would you measure this? By the introduction of a version “39” (read: “thirty-nine”) right after version “3.8.3” (read: “three point eight point three”)? 

Honestly, I don’t think such comparisons make sense. It’s like comparing apples and oranges. ¬¬

Seriously, if it's a matter of money, increase the price and speed up the development. I've been hearing about version 1.6, "The Roadmap," and Publisher for what seems like forever, yet where are they? Cricket... cricket... cricket...

1 hour ago, Mr. K said:

Seriously, if it's a matter of money, increase the price and speed up the development.

This argument has been rehearsed over and over again. Even if a higher price brought in enough money for Serif to employ more developers (which it might well not do, since many potential purchasers of a $50 app would be put off by a significantly higher price) a new developer would need time to become familiar with the code base and would be more likely to introduce bugs.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Money is not the problem and as I said earlier we’ve been trying to hire for what seems like years. We are all doing overtime (and then some) - we are doing the best we can and will continue to do so. The reality is that this is a niche area for developers and you need to be genuinely interested in the subject in order to thrive...

52 minutes ago, Alfred said:

This argument has been rehearsed over and over again. Even if a higher price brought in enough money for Serif to employ more developers (which it might well not do, since many potential purchasers of a $50 app would be put off by a significantly higher price) a new developer would need time to become familiar with the code base and would be more likely to introduce bugs.

While I personally think these applications were priced too low, I don't think it's about the money. At least if Serif is still on the hunt for more programmers like they have been.

Hah, me and Matt posted at the same time...

It's a great position for Serif to be in, really. Enough demand to warrant hiring/training. But in the larger scheme of things, enough progress to take the time and hire the right people. Many companies would be envious of this.

Mike

7 hours ago, MattP said:

Money is not the problem and as I said earlier we’ve been trying to hire for what seems like years. We are all doing overtime (and then some) - we are doing the best we can and will continue to do so. The reality is that this is a niche area for developers and you need to be genuinely interested in the subject in order to thrive...

I can accept this. I hope it works out for all of our sakes.

On 5. August 2017 at 0:15 PM, mac_heibu said:

Realy, reall „slow“ updates: Just name a different software product, which is developed faster. Only one!

(I know one, but its – excuse me! – an Adobe product: Muse. But that’s it!)

Software engineering is not a pizza service: order – deliver – eat! (Or is it? If I consider Affinity’ pricing level, it may be the case …!)

lenogre wrote “development seems slow down”, not that others are faster! A comparison certainly does not help his concern, but here is one product for mac_heibu:

https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/overview-of-new-features-and-versions/

One man show and he resolved complex wishes within 24 hours without a bug.

• Staff
7 hours ago, Oval said:

lenogre wrote “development seems slow down”, not that others are faster! A comparison certainly does not help his concern, but here is one product for mac_heibu:

https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/overview-of-new-features-and-versions/

One man show and he resolved complex wishes within 24 hours without a bug.

Errr... not being funny or anything, but the scope of user interactions available in a file converter is orders of magnitude different to a graphic design package, isn’t it? :S