You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to add guides while in warp or liquify persona?

I am using Beta 4 so I'm going to post here  - though it may be a general question.

How do I add guides once I am in perspective warp or in Liquify Persona?  It seems that the only is to exit liquify or warp, then add more guides, then return.  Not sure if that's the case or if I'm doing something wrong, but for certain I have a strong need to add guides while I am refining perspective or balancing in liquify.  

• Staff

Hi abarkalo,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently this is not possible. You can only drag guides with the Move Tool which is not available in Liquify Persona or while you are using the Perspective Tool. There was already a few requests to allow dragging guides with any tool but i don't know if this is being considered for inclusion at this point.

This is one of those usability experiences which hinders full migration to Affinity apps... there're quite a few of these small anonoying nags which individually are not  deal breakers, but when considered en masse, actually prevent migration to Affinity in a professional production environment where time is a disappearing luxury and flow is essential to productivity...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

If we want to consider full migration, there are issues where the experience is win some/lose some, or sometimes just plain a deal breaker.   Designer is already part of my regular workflow - I can work faster and it feels like a lot more fun - especially blurs, shades and the incredible performance due to real Metal integration.  Sure there are things I can do only in Illustrator - like envelope/perspective warp, two very badly needed features - but I will go to the slowpoke Illustrator when I need to do that.

As for Photo, oh well, I want it to get there and I really love the paradigm, but top of my list of missing features is smart objects or something to replace them.  Going back to Designer for a sec, I can already see similar functionality.  If I paste any kind of Affinity file, or AI, EPS, PSD whatever, it is placed an embedded object.  I can skew it, transform it (except perspective, grrr) and then I can edit the embedded object.  I can blend it, apply a filter - so that's really a smart object.  But in Photo, if I change the perspective the embedded object instantly changes to a pixel layer.  

This and the issues with displacement/distortion and the blotchiness in mask refine.  Also, can't work on perspective without guides - that's not workable.  

With full respect to Serif for the hard work on development, I will continue trying out Photo and will be there as it develops.   And further, can't wait for this type of paradigm shift (blurring lines between vector/raster/style guides/text) in the upcoming Publisher.  

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.