You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Modifier keys not great

In this latest beta, modifier keys have been added to certain tools. While it's a good try, it's not ideal. First, let's take the brush tool as an example. You can now use the pick color button while dragging the pencil to select a color. The problem is, when doing things like frequency separation where you need to constantly change color and size of brush, it gets pretty cumbersome switching through the menus each time. What we need are permanent command keys that work with any tool as they would on the desktop. Let's stay with the brush tool. If there was a space key, we could quickly switch to pan/hand mode while working. If we had an option key, we could easily drag to get the color picker as it works on the desktop. This would simplify the menus and allow those keys to be used with multiple tools, as they do on the desktop when using a wacom or similar. I'd suggest space, option, command, control, and shift keys. And see below for my suggestion for placement, although it would be cool to swap placement for lefties. I love that you guys are so responsive.

Photo Aug 04, 2 03 06 PM.png

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

The current setup is pretty unusable... holding down a modifier on the bottom centre of the screen is completely unnatural and it makes you have to switch between panes to access the other settings.

The modifiers need to be on the left or right side depending on what had you use.

The only thing I disagree on is the need for a spacebar modifier. I just enable that setting so that your fingers don't activate the tool your using, so your fingers always do panning and zooming, works great. 

I have to agree, sorry … :(

The current setup feels like an afterthought. It is incredibly hard to use modifier keys, when they are in the middle and at the bottom of the screen. Your hands will always get in conflict when you are working on the canvas. Furthermore, you shouldn’t have to scroll through the brush settings to access the modifier keys. Everytime you change the tool, you will have to dig down to the modifiers anew. It feels as if somebody would jumble your keyboard, whenever you take your eyes from it. Really unfortunate … :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Completely agree! I see no reason as to why the modifier keys would be different from the desktop version of Affinity Photo. On-screen modifiers make sense if there's no keyboard attached and I agree that you would still need those controls without a keyboard. But this is exactly how a lot of these things are implemented in Photoshop. For instance: the "x" modifier key switches between foreground and background using your keyboard. You could do the same thing clicking the arrow. You can select different tools with your keyboard and you can click them. There are multitouch gestures that accomplish certain tasks that would be either a modifier key or a shortkey on the desktop. Power-users tend to appreciate the modifier keys and shortkeys because it speeds up your workflow.

Again, there is no reason to keyboard modifiers and shortkeys work not the same way in Affinity Photo for iPad. I would propose the keyboard works the same way on the iPad as on the desktop, except for the rare ocasions where it doesn't work (because certain keys aren't availible on the smartkeyboard) or it doesn't make sense. But as far as I'm concerned these would be very rare ocasions.

I'm sorry if I sound frustrated or a little too passionate, because this is what actually frustrates me about Affinity Photo for iPad from the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for this.

I really like using Affinity Photo on iPad for painting, but the colour picker is absolute murder. 

• Tap-and-hold colour selection works, then doesn’t, then does, then doesn’t. Please fix this
  • The colour pick modifier being hidden two menus down in the context menu/floating panel thing and then also in the bottom middle of the screen omg. This is borderline unusable. The workflow is pick colour > resize brush > pick colour. It’s... difficult... as it is.
  • I’d also like some clear indication of what colour is selected when menus are collapsed, like a small preview of the colour on the colour wheel button.
  • Is there a way to stop touch inputs affecting the canvas? it’s a real issue, I keep leaving little marks around my drawings.

I’d be really happy if these were addressed. I want to love this app, it’s super close to being amazing.

Really, my ideal solution would just be a floating option key or a very reliable tap-and-hold colour selection tool.

• Staff

Hey Arky,

1. Are you using your finger or an Apple Pencil? With my finger, simply pressing and holding never invokes the Colour Picker receptacle. With the Apple Pencil, there is a lot more movement as there is less friction than using a finger so it always invokes the receptacle. 
  2. I agree. Quite a few users are not currently happy with the order of the tools on the context bar. I'll pass this feedback on. I see no reason for it to not be present on the first context bar. Even on smaller screen iPad's there should be enough room.
  3. The receptacle has the preview of the colour as you know, so it sounds like you're asking for a bigger preview over just having a thin circle outline in that colour?
  4. In Preferences, you can go to Tools > Touch for gestures only. This will only work if you're using an Apple Pencil though. I think general palm rejection is an ongoing improvement for the Dev team at the moment. 

Hey Chris,

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

1. For me, it’s the Apple Pencil that never invokes the Colour Picker receptacle. Tapping and holding does it, but intermittently. Having disabled “on-screen modifier keys” makes it a little more reliable, but it’s still about 60% success. 
  2. Awesome! Looking forward to that bring addressed.
  3. [Removing this point] You know what, this was an error on my part.
  4. I went ahead and enabled that, thank you! It’s helping so far!

Really, improving the reliability of the existing press and hold colour picker would solve the problem for me. Right now it’s so intermittent I find it very difficult to use.

What’s interesting is that sometimes touch-inputs are spontaneously allowed to affect the canvas, even with it disabled. I’ll leave down an unwanted brush stroke with my finger when trying to use the Colour Picker. Maybe the unreliability of the colour picker and the random touch inputs are related.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adobe finally announced Photoshop for iPad (2019), and it will have persistent tool toggles in the corner as they realize that many work with modifier keys as part of the desktop workflow. C'mon guys, one up them and give us actual modifier keys in the corner of our choosing.

https://fstoppers.com/apps/adobe-announces-full-version-photoshop-cc-ipad-296887

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Another version, another plea to add real modifier keys to the iPad version. Maybe since we're so close to V2, we'll see it then, along with brush size preview. One can dream. I still love almost everything about this app, keep it up guys.