You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Bug on Image layers

In Beta 4, there seems to be an issue with Image layers. If I "Place" an image into a file, creating an "Image" layer, the foreground and background colors for that layer are set to "none." If I select a different layer, the foreground and background revert to what they were previously. If I again choose the Image layer, the foreground/background colors again revert to "none."

The problem arises if I change one of the colors. If I use the color panel to set the foreground (or background) color to anything other than "none," the entire layer changes; it seems to act as if it is a "Fill" layer. If I reset the layer such that the foreground and background colors are "none," this behavior undoes itself. Also, if I rasterize the Image layer, the color changes do not occur.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• Staff

Hi,

An Image Layer (as opposed to a Pixel Layer) has vector semantics - behaves like a vector rectangle - so what you describe is intended.

It's often useful to place an image and have non-destructive vector fill (recolour, effectively), transparency, etc. Image layers also survive colour format conversion better - the image is always reloaded from the original data (for example, place CMYK JPEG into RGB document, then convert document to CMYK - Pixel Layer would undergo RGB transformation, Image Layer would reload CMYK direct from the JPEG and avoid conversion).

You can simply hit Layer -> Rasterise to convert an Image Layer to a Pixel Layer - it has also been discussed that the addition of a preferences option to default that behaviour would be of benefit. That could well happen..

Hope this helps,

A

OK, Andy. I guess I never noticed it, but the behavior is completely consistent with what happens in the MAS version. I suppose that if you look too hard for problems, your tolerance for normal behavior goes down accordingly!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.