You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.afdesign as Image & Keyboard navigation on Open dialog

Hello guys!

Thank you again for the amazing piece of software you have built. I can't believe I am saying this but except for very minor things on which Photoshop is crucial, I haven't been using it almost ever since I got Affinity Designer. Ah, what a nice change of pace!

I wanted to share with you some feature requests / bugs out of my use of Affinity.

.afdesign as Image

Whenever you search with Spotlight, it is interesting how I do see a preview, but it's not recognized as an "Image" by Spotlight search, but instead as "Other". Which is naturally bad because I put "Images" as the highest priority result kind, and Other at the bottom because I never care about Other. Except for Affinity files, which are treated as "Other" instead of "Image" like JPEG, PNG, or even PSD.

I don't know if this is something broken on my end or it just wasn't meant to be. But I'd love to see .afdesign files be treated and considered as images by Finder (All my files) and Spotlight!

Keyboard navigation on Open dialog

So every time I am already working on an open document, and then I go to the Open dialog, I spend a few keystrokes in trying to move the cursor around to navigate through the folders with no success. Then I remember arrow keys, cmd + down, etc... Won't work on the Open dialog if a document is already opened. Instead, when I close, I find my whole layout destroyed because I've been nudging items around with the arrow keys when I thought I was surfing folders on the Open dialog :P.

It'd be great to be able to surf the directories in Open dialog with keyboard input, and without affecting the document. "Focus"!

Pixel perfect

Still on my list. On UI design, a 0.5 pixel snapping when creating / moving / resizing is unacceptable.

Black dropdown lists

More often than not, when I click a dropdown like the Font size on the top, I get a black dropdown. All the values seem to be there as I can click them and the size change, but it's very odd. It's like if the dropdown had black background and black font.

Unclickable layers

Yeap. Still getting the issue with layers becoming unclickable, forcing me to close and open a document (or creating a temporary duplicate if I wasn't intending to save changes). I heard you were working on this so just adding it here for completion :P.

Pixel view mode not always pixel view mode

So whenever you activate Pixel view mode and you zoom in to 200%, it still won't work. You have to zoom in past 200%, then zoom back to 200%, repeat the process a few times, until it actually starts showing everything as pixels instead of smooth edges at 200% zoom (which is great, but sometimes you need to work as it will be exported :P). I think this is a glitch.

Unclear active tab

Minor issue, but nearly 100% of times I click the wrong tab when trying to switch to the other document, because the brightest tab is the "inactive" tab, and the darkest tab is the "active" tab. Which is confusing, at least to me. But the UI is dark enough so I can see the rock and the hard place. Just pointing it out though.

Close windows with Escape key

Once I am done changing a font property on the Font dialog, I'd love it if I could close it using Esc instead of taking my cursor all the way to the Red closing button on the window. I open dialogs often so it becomes a hassle.

That's all! Once again, thanks for the amazing piece of software. Loving it more every day.

• Staff

Hi Pablo,

It's great that you're enjoying using Designer - and thank you so much for taking the time to note all the improvements you've spotted - looks like a very sensible, useful list and I'll make my way through it :) In the meantime, I just wanted to let you know that (hopefully!) if you get the latest beta version you should have less issues with the 1/2 pixel problems - just simply click the 'Force Pixel Aligment' button on the top toolbar and everything will always snap to pixels.

Thanks,

Matt