You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Beta 3 - quick refine mask is blocky

When doing a quick refine mask in Photo I notice there is some blockiness.  I refined a pink hair over black photo (masked on white background here) and it looked ok at 100% but some detail seemed fuzzy.  I magnified a great deal and found out why- see attached.

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 12.42.50 AM.png

• Staff

Hi abarkalo

Do you think the result is fuzzier than you are used to from the App Store version of Photo? What resolution is the image?

The blockiness comes from the original jpeg. It becomes more apparent as the matting process aligns changes in alpha with changes in the colour channels, including jpeg block boundaries. It's on my list to try to mitigate this.

Cheers

Justin

My comparison was between Photoshop CC 2017 and Photo Beta.  I used the same source image and didn't get this effect with Photoshop.  Accuracy-wise, Photo seemed to match Photoshop in speed and unmagnified it mostly looked good.  But there was a tinge of artifacting and magnified to show the presence of quadrilles - that's the issue I'm pointing out.  

I ran this comparison test again.  This time please see before and after for both Photoshop CC 2017 and Photo beta 4.  I had to manually adjust to get them both at 600% magnification, which, to be fair, is really nitpicking at this magnification.  But still there is a very slight artifacting that these quadrilles are contributing to - otherwise Photo Beta 4 is a dramatic improvement over previous versions of Photo.

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 10.33.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 10.34.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 10.36.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 10.37.14 PM.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.