You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: Grid and Axis Manager - Complex Responsive Grids

I am trying to create a complex responsive grid to easily work with bootstrap mockups:

- grid centered to artboard

- maintain constant gutter of 30px (no issues there)

- limit grid to 12 main columns

- set y axis grid to 32pt (or whatever lineheight I need for my type rythm, independent of gutter)

I know this is a very specific setup, and there are templates out there with column groups that approximate this, but even those aren't resizable, and you have to make a new group for every page, just tedious. Would love to set up some pre-programmable and responsive guides for different situations, and just select the guide I need for whatever project.

Just as a reference, Sketch seems to be able to do this quite nicely: https://medium.com/@petehouston/setup-twitter-bootstrap-grid-in-sketch-f6e69eab95c2

They have split this functionality out from the grid system into a layout system that has snapping behavior, in addition to the grid system. This way I can make the columns according to bootstrap grid layout, and the actual grid set to my type-face's baseline for vertical rhythm.

Thanks for listening :)

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 8.54.03 PM.png

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this?

I'm using Zurb's Foundation Site framework for my sites and it would be great if a grid could be defined in the following way

• Set a maximum width of the grid
  • Set a column count (most of the time 12)
  • Set the gutter width in % of the whole grid width

Thanks in advance ;)

• 2 months later...
On 27/12/2017 at 4:42 PM, hirnschmalz said:

Any updates on this?

I'm using Zurb's Foundation Site framework for my sites and it would be great if a grid could be defined in the following way

• Set a maximum width of the grid
  • Set a column count (most of the time 12)
  • Set the gutter width in % of the whole grid width

Thanks in advance ;)

The lack of image trace, shape builder and limitations of grids/guides are honestly the only things keeping me from abandoing Illustrator.