mb6391

Slow to start - both Photo and Designer

No problems with the programs once they start but they are slow to start. Think this has been mentioned before and I've tried the Ctrl 'trick'. Opening takes anywhere between 35-40 seconds. Immediately closing the program and reopening and it still in the 35-40 second range to get to working desktop mode. I used to run Adobe Photoshop CS6 and even with the 'baggage' that Photoshop can carry from memory it fully opened in the 5-10 seconds range.

My system - Win10 x64 CU release fully updated. 16GB ram - 500SSD with temp drive located on the SSD, CPU i5 1151 - 27" monitor running 3840x2160 although the slow opening was there running in normal HD.

Once the program is open then everything runs as expected with very little delay if any.

So not really a bug as once the program is running then it's fine but the initial program opening is frustrating. Any input appreciated and as this is rarely mentioned on the forum I assume it has something to do with settings on my machine.

Thanks for the feedback. Also running 1.6.0.76 beta and that is slow to load but as this problem appears to affect a minority of Affinity users then it may be Win10 related.

I'll try Affinity later on Win7 and Win10 pre-release and report back.

Hi, this is Windows 10 machine as well, so I don't think it's related to OS version. I have a feeling it's down to one of the following:

Number of fonts

Number of ICC profiles

Number of custom brushes / assets / etc

Other software that may be installed (anti-virus / anti-malware?)

Reporting in. Have installed Photo on Win10 16251 rs_prerelease - same machine - different partition. Start up was virtually instant - within 5 seconds. 

This Win10 vanilla build has 82 fonts installed and standard Windows Defender anti-virus.

My regular Win10 has 1400 fonts installed - standard Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. 

So I guess it's down to a bit of trial and error to isolate the problem. I'll report back as it may be of help to others that are having the same problem.

Edited by mb6391
edit - correct typo's

Fonts now deleted - fewer than in the Win10 16251 re-prerelese. Marginal improvement to about 30 seconds to load to desktop. Close program and restart - still takes 30 seconds. No other applications running in the background and Malwarebytes disabled.

Still ultrafast in Win10 16251 re-prerelease. It has in excess of 500 fonts. My error as I was ignoring font sets (bold, italic, etc) so the initial 82 fonts was erroneous reporting my end.

At a loss where to go now. Guess for now will just live with it as prefererable to Photoshop CS6 and I refuse to subscribe to the Photoshop CC model.

Thank you Mark. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program - you never know but made no difference.

What I have noticed in Task Manager is the slow allocation to memory whilst opening with relatively little CPU utilization. Other programs seem to grab the memory instantly. Having said that, AP loads ultra fast with the insider Win10 build so it looks as though it's machine specific to me rather than the program. JPG attached.

**Installed the Photo Beta on Win7 x64 and initially would not run. Required Aero Theme to be enabled. Once enabled it fired up within 5 seconds**

taskmanager.jpg

Edited by mb6391
updated to include Win7 experience

Reporting back (again). Installed Photo Beta - same problem reference load time. Difference is Beta generates a log file (attached) and there are a number of colour profiles that do not apply to my other bits of 'testing' - laptop, Win10 pre-release, etc. For example, the log file shows ScanSnap  which relates to the sheet feeder scanner which is not set up to work with the laptop and Win10 beta software.

Could these be slowing down the startup process? Possibly of equal importance, how do I go about 'instructing' Photo to ignore these when starting?

Any input appreciated.

Log.txt

**further update. Fired up Win10 pre-release and installed Scansnap scanner software. Started Photo beta and it started within 5 seconds as opposed to 30-40 seconds. Attached further log file for the pre-release installation. Now at a total loss and will need someone more experienced than myself as this is out of my pay grade.

Log Win10 pre-release.txt

Edited by mb6391
**updated to include results for Win10 pre-release

At last - a solution my end albeit long winded but had a couple of hours free.

Compared the beta log file on my Win10 regular machine with that on the pre-release Win10. Deleted from the regular machine all *.icm, *.icc, etc files from the system that were not listed in the beta log file from the pre-release Win 10 - many were in the Adobe and Adobe Common Files section. Restarted and hey presto, both released and beta versions of Affinity load up within 5 seconds. So that's where the problem is my end. Tested other programs on the system and they are all working as usual. So probably the icm and icc files are just refugees from uninstalled old programs.

Maybe a solution for others although as these *.icm and *.icc files do not affect load times for other products then maybe the Affinity developers should look at this issue seriously.

Edited by mb6391
edited - typo's

Hi everybody,

I'm having the same problem. Just got my new Macbook Pro 2017 version. My old one (Macbook Pro 2012 version, 16 Gb ram) had this issue but I read somewhere on this site that it could by the SSD drive. But with my new machine it still occurs...

I've attached my system info (it's in dutch sorry).

Sysinfo.PNG

No Mac expert here I'm afraid but what are you using to get into Win10 - Boot Camp, Parallels, etc?

Have you tried running the Mac version of Photo or Designer? - if so was it still slow?

Doubt if the SSD has anything to do with it.

I'm startup with bootcamp. I'm using the mac version also and that one is fast as lightning. Photo is not to bad (now 7 sec), Designer is more (20 sec). But it is more the feel of lag when double clicking a file from explorer and You have to wait... 

As the Mac Affinity version is fast then effectively it's not the SSD. Out of my depth here but using a VM within Win10 the program speed varies with the memory allocated as often the defaults are far too low unless you are running with say just 4GB. As I have 16GB I always increase the ram available for the VM and that speeds things up considerably.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly.

I've parallels too but the main reason i'm using bootcamp is the use of Autodesk Revit and for large projects it's better to have all resources available. But my work around on this moment is just to start Photo once and leave it open on the background. If I then double click on a file in Windows explorer it opens right away in Affinity Photo... I'll keep an eye on this tread... Tnx mb6391 for Your reply.

I never found it was a font issue in my case but an excess of *.icc and *.icm monitor files being loaded.

Long winded but the solution I found is detailed about 6 above this post. Hope it helps.

36 minutes ago, ThiloL said:

no. in my scenario process monitor shows excessive font access.

How many fonts do you currently have installed?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.1 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.1 • Designer for iPad 1.9.1 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

On 24.3.2018 at 10:38 PM, Alfred said:

How many fonts do you currently have installed?

360 fonts. Takes around 10 seconds on each start. It's not doing anything else at startup, at least I can't see any other status message after working with it all day (and closing it many times). The loading fonts also only uses a single CPU core. Can't this be intelligently cached and then at least parallelised?

3 hours ago, ygoe said:

It's not doing anything else at startup, at least I can't see any other status message after working with it all day (and closing it many times).

I don't think it's meant to give us a continuous status update. As far as I know, the 'Loading fonts...' message was added specifically to let users know how much of the startup time is dedicated to that particular task.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.1 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.1 • Designer for iPad 1.9.1 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

Well, if this is basically the only status message I see, then I guess I'm supposed to believe that this is basically the only operation that happens. Or am I wrong here? Anyway, it takes ~10 seconds to start and I'd rather not wait so long, if that's possible.