You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can FCP X Open Affinity Photo/Designer Files?

THis must be a must for Affinity so that the software get incorporated more easily into apple’s workflow!!   I am confused as to why they are no tutorial referencing Motion/FCP X Integration .  At least i have not seen it!!  I am summiting a request to apple FCPX

Willy Pimentel
M1 Imac 16gb Mac os Ventura Latest 

JUst Summitted feedback”.    Hope everyone does the same so that we get better integration into Apple’s workflow.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

https://www.apple.com/feedback/motion.html

Affinity Photo and Designer are turning out to be Photoshop replacements for those who hate Subscritions and bloated Software. I would like to see native suuport for Affinity Photo/Designer Layered Files and better workflow integration.

Willy Pimentel

Ronnie McBride did a video on a logo design using Affinity Designer with Apple Motion. He frequents this forum from time to time too. Anyway the video:

I use Motion too and have illustrator and I am able to import .ai files into Motion but it has limitations. It (Motion) sees the .ai file as really a PDF file with everything on one layer. In Motion you are able to uncheck the fixed resolution so that if you zoom in or scale the artwork it acts like a vector and remains sharp. Here is a video by Mark Spencer showing this feature:

In Affinity Designer you can create artwork, vector assets and then export out as PDFs. Then in Motion you can uncheck the Fixed Resolution and be able to scale up the vector art. You just have to break down the work in Designer so that each layer is exported out as its own PDF file, the Export Persona helps with this greatly.

Now the ability to export out a file within Designer to be able to use as a Motion Shape would be great. There was a script for Illustrator that enabled that but I always found it hit or miss.

• 4 months later...

Hi Scungio,

I hope You are able to notice the workarounds and limitations there are to work with FCP X and Motion.   

I am still hoping they make it easy for us Motion and FCP X users.  

Simplyfying this process, Will make Ffinity products event a better option.

On 8/3/2017 at 0:36 PM, Scungio said:

In Affinity Designer you can create artwork, vector assets and then export out as PDFs. Then in Motion you can uncheck the Fixed Resolution and be able to scale up the vector art. You just have to break down the work in Designer so that each layer is exported out as its own PDF file, the Export Persona helps with this greatly.

Now the ability to export out a file within Designer to be able to use as a Motion Shape would be great. There was a script for Illustrator that enabled that but I always found it hit or miss.

Willy Pimentel

• 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, KipV said:

Have there been any updates on this topic since 2017? I am think about buying Final Cut but whether or not it has Affinity support would be one of the reasons I buy it or not.

As the Affinity file format remains undocumented, there is no way that Final Cut would be able to have support for opening the native Affinity files. The question would remain whether Affinity can export to some format that Final Cut can read with everything you want transferring over.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

As the Affinity file format remains undocumented, there is no way that Final Cut would be able to have support for opening the native Affinity files. The question would remain whether Affinity can export to some format that Final Cut can read with everything you want transferring over.

I would presume it would work very similarly to the way Photoshop is supported. Somehow Serif needs to get around this completely closed system. It needs to work much better with other products like Capture One, Quark etc. This is especially true for products they don't offer alternative to like video programs. Adobe even has their own video solution and yet they still support Final Cut. For Serif to not offer this option, even though they may never have a video option is nuts. They need to get their act together in this area.