You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop tool sticky preset between documents

HI,

Like most of the users I'm coming from Photoshop and I'd love to have the crop tool to keep the setting between the documents. I'm cropping a large bunch of file for a website and they all need to be a square (1:1), so each time I open a photo I have to hit C to select crop tool, then pick the preset, crop (holding Shift doesn't constrain the movement), save, close. PS keeps the crop tools active, its preset so far less clicks then AP...

Am I missing something or that's the current workflow?

R.

If you select a preset like 1 : 1  it will maintain that ratio. i.e. Constrain to square.

You have to

Press C

Select  1 : 1

Resize/move the crop box

Press Enter

However, what I find annoying is Affinity makes the 1 : 1 crop box fit the width. So when you select 1 : 1 the top handles disappear off the screen and you can't draw inside the 1 : 1 box. You have to scroll and drag the box. Although it is OK for portrait pictures.

A slightly better method (for me)

Press C

Draw a box. Smaller than you need, but with one corner in the right place. (You can draw inside the existing crop box)

Select  1 : 1

Resize the (constrained) crop box from the opposite corner.

Press Enter

A bit cr4p I agree but reasonably fast.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed, toltec. I love Affinity Photo, but the Crop tool when trying to crop 1:1 (for instance when prepping photos for Instagram or other needs) is SUPER annoying. 

Affinity Developers: Could you at least give us an option to make the Crop tool fit INSIDE the boundaries of the photo? Pretty please?