You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding a stroke - thin border

I am new to Affinity but experienced in PS.

I want to add a thin border to an image. In PS I would select the whole image, go edit/stroke and it would give me the options 

of adding it inside the image, pixel width and colour. How do I do this in Affinity? Any help would be great.

• Staff

Hi Clogs,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the layer, click the FX icon on the bottom of the Layers panel, tick the Outline FX (highlight it on the list on the left to be able to edit its options on the right), then set the alignment, width (radius), and colour you want.

If you have cropped the image/document earlier you will need to rasterise the layer first to get rid of the cropped areas and apply the Outline FX properly to all sides of the  layer. To do this right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise.

For additional ways to add borders check this video tutorlal.

Thanks that works. Once I have added the stroke I want to change the canvas size with the background colour to be black.

I have unticked the transparent background  but can only get a white background. Is there a quick way to do this rather then having to put an layer behind and filling it with black?

You can go Edit > Matte and click on a colour.

If black is already set in the colours panel, you can choose Primary or Secondary Colour, depending on where the black is. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.