You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 5)

Seeing a consistent crash in this version that I have been able to replicate numerous times. Here are the steps to replicate:

Navigate to File -> New and create the file (in my case 16"x20")

Drag a guide from the left ruler to the artboard.

Navigate to File -> Close and from the dialogue select Don't Save.

Navigate to File -> New and create a new file.

Attempt to drag a guide from the left ruler.

Crash...bang...boom!

AD-Crash.mp4

On 8/2/2017 at 2:33 PM, abarkalo said:

I tried uninstalling everything (beta and Mac store app), rebooted and reinstalled app and beta and same issues.  I want to revise my statement - it is actually bugging me.  It takes away from the natural writing experience.  Also if I go in and edit text all the text in front of the cursor is blurry during the time that I'm editing.  

Wanted to update on the issue with the fuzzy font issue as you type.  I fixed the issue by going to Preferences and going to Performance/Retina Rendering and selecting High Quality (Slowest).   That issue is gone with that setting.  I also selected "use precise clipping" - why not I've got the speed with the Polaris MacBook Pro GPU - though I can certainly feel the heat when running the Beta 5 though that's probably with the non-beta as well.  This is a very GPU intensive program, and I've giving a lot to work with.  

Wondering though - in the non-beta retina rendering is set to Automatic (best) and honestly I can still see a bit of the fuzzy delay but it didn't really bother me as much as it did with the beta using this setting.  

11 hours ago, PNH said:

Seeing a consistent crash in this version that I have been able to replicate numerous times. Here are the steps to replicate:

Navigate to File -> New and create the file (in my case 16"x20")

Drag a guide from the left ruler to the artboard.

Navigate to File -> Close and from the dialogue select Don't Save.

Navigate to File -> New and create a new file.

Attempt to drag a guide from the left ruler.

Crash...bang...boom!

AD-Crash.mp4

Yes this does indeed crash if you follow the steps above.  

• Staff
3 hours ago, abarkalo said:

Wanted to update on the issue with the fuzzy font issue as you type.  I fixed the issue by going to Preferences and going to Performance/Retina Rendering and selecting High Quality (Slowest).   That issue is gone with that setting.  I also selected "use precise clipping" - why not I've got the speed with the Polaris MacBook Pro GPU - though I can certainly feel the heat when running the Beta 5 though that's probably with the non-beta as well.  This is a very GPU intensive program, and I've giving a lot to work with.  

Wondering though - in the non-beta retina rendering is set to Automatic (best) and honestly I can still see a bit of the fuzzy delay but it didn't really bother me as much as it did with the beta using this setting.  

I can definitely make it update text without fuzziness, so I'd recommend that in the next beta you set your settings back to Automatic. Incidentally, it's worth noting that the 'perfect clipping' option is done in CPU, so it will affect how long things take to draw in the document... :)

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

I can definitely make it update text without fuzziness, so I'd recommend that in the next beta you set your settings back to Automatic. Incidentally, it's worth noting that the 'perfect clipping' option is done in CPU, so it will affect how long things take to draw in the document... :)

Thank you, Matt.  Can't wait for next beta.  

BTW, the ruler/guides crash problem (see PNH) is causing me some big issues.  Luckily, Designer is good about recovering my doc, and I have set the file recovery period to 30 sec as a precaution.  Also I remember to save before I apply guides because it will crash predictably.  This seems to happen even if you save the document.  It is when you open a new document that the crash happens.  

• Staff
3 hours ago, abarkalo said:

Thank you, Matt.  Can't wait for next beta.  

BTW, the ruler/guides crash problem (see PNH) is causing me some big issues.  Luckily, Designer is good about recovering my doc, and I have set the file recovery period to 30 sec as a precaution.  Also I remember to save before I apply guides because it will crash predictably.  This seems to happen even if you save the document.  It is when you open a new document that the crash happens.  

Fixed the ruler/guide issue too :)

17 hours ago, andremacola said:

Crashing a lot when try to fit the text frame in zoom mode. Anyone with this problem?

What do you mean by fitting the text frame? If you mean adjusting the size while zooming, then I'm not facing any crashes with that.

16 hours ago, SmullDesginer said:

Is there any way to create an animation, or is there an onion skin mode. Also if there is can I export each layer at a time?

Unfortunately, animations cannot be created in Affinity Designer. If you are wondering about the GIF export, well GIF files were actually originally not used for animation.

However, you can export each layer individually in the Export persona, and in the Slices tab. That comes very useful.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Fixed the ruler/guide issue too :)

Wonderful.  I realize that this is a beta and you state very clearly that this is not for production use, but already it's more for production use on my end:  paste-in-place, accurate rendering on PDF output, especially with embedded vector files - works much better than 1.5.5.  Metal.  Etc. Etc.

If you can post updates for the big bugs/crashes fixes sooner then it would be great - like you did with the export crash.  Thank you again for that there and then. 

13 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

What do you mean by fitting the text frame? If you mean adjusting the size while zooming, then I'm not facing any crashes with that.

The new double click in the text frame box circle to fit the frame size to text. It is not all the time but it happens to me a lot. I'll try to make a video. OSX Sierra.

Hi guys,

I have an issue with the export feature. I want to export a glyph that is constrained into a 28×28pt rectangle, but when I try to export it, AD says that it's going to be 28.5×28pt, how is that possible?

Once again, here is a video demonstrating the issue:

ShapeMaskSizeIssue.mp4

Edit:

I figured out why. The X origin is in fact 933.5pt, but AD says 933, despite having those settings:

598c207dbc310_ScreenShot2017-08-10at10_59_27.thumb.png.87dac2f93da17093e57a99e9749884c1.png

So it's rather a bug with the transform panel.

Welp, i had a document already open - pretty much idle for quite some time, cause i was working on something else and later on a few would pop up. Then i went out for a couple hours and came back to this. I never had this before, most of the fonts that are mentioned i have no memory of using - especially not in the doc that was open. I had not tried to open anything else. And yes, i use FontExplorer Pro and SkyFonts for Google Fonts.

I clicked download couple of times, but then just skipped it all. Curiously enough it would popup with the same font for a couple more times then suddenly stop - i closed AD thereafter and haven't opened it since.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

Hi Farbenfeuer, those are optional MacOS system fonts.   You have to download them only from Font Book. I tried downloading a few and then uninstalled - they seem to be language support fonts, which is useful if you want to access those specific character sets.   Please read more here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206872#download

On 8/3/2017 at 1:45 AM, abarkalo said:

I know this is more of Publisher feature, but for now as many of us are working in Designer with multiple artboards as doc pages, can you guys look into a search text or find/replace?

Not necessarily a Publisher feature... Fireworks and Gimp have it (even as in Gimp is a PITA to implement it)...

Fireworks ---> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/fireworks/cs/using/WS3f28b00cc50711d93f3703bc133a3ec962f-8000.html

au_find_replace_db.png.2ea6a7a93cf35f410b7832982cb88920.png

It would be tremendously helpful if Designer (and Photo!!!) would have this feature as well...

I was doing some timetables for a band that is currently touring, for their fan board - X plays in this city at 7.00 PM... so it's at this hour in NY, this hour in Buenos Aires, this one in Tokyo and so and so). I have a template for this, but a find/replace text feature would definitely save a lot of time and effort for the task...

this is one of those minimal things for I still can't get rid of Fireworks/GIMP for good =(

hopefully the developers consider it...

1 hour ago, max tsukino said:

Not necessarily a Publisher feature... Fireworks and Gimp have it […]

And Fireworks can even find more than text. You can also search and replace colors, fonts used, and URLs (this is only relevant for the web prototyping/export features, though). And you can search a certain selection, a page in the document, the whole document, or multiple files.

30 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

And Fireworks can even find more than text. You can also search and replace colors, fonts used, and URLs (this is only relevant for the web prototyping/export features, though). And you can search a certain selection, a page in the document, the whole document, or multiple files.

Yeah but Fireworks is discontinued and the last version is from 2012.  Adobe Experience Design is the replacement - and it doesn't have search/find/replace - but still that's more of a Sketch competition.  Only comparison to the upcoming Publisher is InDesign and Quark - two very evolved page layout programs but with very old interfaces - I don't want to live in that world anymore.  

Getting back to Designer - it has a very good text engine already - kerning, spacing, leading, glyphs, character/paragraph formatting.  Only thing it's missing is page layouts/templates (Publisher feature - nothing else) and a few things like find/search/replace and maybe possibly hyphenation - though I rarely use that it's necessary to have every once in a while.  Also when I export to PDF I notice that the text is not selectable, not that it bugs me that much because it's still vector and sharp but wanted to point that out to look at fixing.

Very minor bug - artboard names don't change immediately. 

If you change the artboard name in the layers panel it doesn't change in the artboard layout display.  I didn't know what was going on - but if I pan/zoom the artboard then, finally, the name changes.  Something to cosmetically fix down the road. I can just pan zoom quickly to make it re-display the correct name.  

Hi there,

this one is for Steve. Here are some additional comments on the light user interface. 

• In the present iteration, it seems as if all menus had vertical alignment problems. And it seems that even some menu labels are vertically misplaced. This issue becomes most noticeable on the “New Document” dialogue, where almost every single interface item has lost its proper place. The menu labels (“Type”, “Page Preset”, …) are at least one pixel too high with respect to the menu borders, while the initial menu entries (“Print”, “A4”, …) have dropped one pixel below the intended baseline. The initial values of the numeric inputs (“210 mm”, “297 mm”, “300”) are too close to the left border of their boxes by one pixel, and the numeric input for the DPI value is one pixel taller than all the other menus and input boxes. The captions (“Colour:”, …) are vertically misplaced as well, and Dimensions box is too tall. I quickly tried to sort this out in the second screen shot. I hope you will see the difference.
  • There is a consistency issue with the numeric flyout menus. Sometimes we get a scrolling menu, as in the Opacity flyout, sometimes we get a standard menu, as in the Font Size flyout. I would opt for some consistency here. Just make all of these flyouts standard menus.
  • Finally, I wonder if the background of the context toolbar and the related framework should be a little bit darker. Have a look at the dark UI version. The main toolbar and the context toolbar form a visually unified application frame in this version. But in the light version, the context toolbar stands out against the main toolbar, so that the impression of a unified application frame is lost.
  • Oh, and what regards background colors: in some panels, there is a difference between the tab background grey and the panel background grey, resulting in a visual border. Since you need the brighter panel background in these cases, you should maybe just change the tab background there. Would look better.

Hope you don’t mind these remarks … :)
Alex

New-Document-Current.png.ec2b38144ed0c6ab8d4fc90549d5f353.png

New-Document-Cleaned.png.0de60df8f0e19c90c89036a4283d477f.png

Scrolling-Menu.png.70195d544d9936e5ab18b169d7791fcf.png

Menu.png.1c27225b7772028e0b73567c7761b78f.png

Context-Toolbar-Brightness.png.eeca1dd31865df3123b98966c67a8cfc.png

Tabs-Panels-Backgrounds.png.5c8ae3a189c1d9e2030efbc4388f5c0b.png

2 hours ago, abarkalo said:

[…] possibly hyphenation - though I rarely use that it's necessary to have every once in a while.

I deem it pretty important, actually. I’m using AD for web design and hyphenation is now possible with CSS in common browsers, so that would be very useful for page comps.

• Staff
17 minutes ago, andremacola said:

When we UNDO with left cmd + z (only left cmd) the zoom change to fit the screen everytime, this is so annoying. This not happening using the options in menubar edit > undo or redo. 

undo.mov

I don't get this behaviour - can you tell me what keyboard you're using (what language?) and what version of OS X? Thanks! :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.